• Register
  • Help

Topic: suggestions on how to work this out?

Share/Bookmark

suggestions on how to work this out?

Hey all,
    Im new here and decided to do a little research before i took the plunge and bought a dedicated pc to run gigastudio on. Here is my question... I have a mac powerbook running cubase sx 2.0 (as my sequencer) with a motu 828 mkII. I am looking into buying a pc running gigastudio ensemble with a M-Audio Delta 1010LT. How would i go about hooking these two systems up without any latency? Do i need identical soundcards or would these two different ones work just fine? Any advice is truly appreciated.
    Thank You in Advance
    Travis

Re: suggestions on how to work this out?

Quote Originally Posted by tcs439
    Hey all,
    Im new here and decided to do a little research before i took the plunge and bought a dedicated pc to run gigastudio on. Here is my question... I have a mac powerbook running cubase sx 2.0 (as my sequencer) with a motu 828 mkII. I am looking into buying a pc running gigastudio ensemble with a M-Audio Delta 1010LT. How would i go about hooking these two systems up without any latency? Do i need identical soundcards or would these two different ones work just fine? Any advice is truly appreciated.
    Thank You in Advance
    Travis
    Hi Travis, I use dp for sequencing and audio mixing on a Mac, but my GPO (Garritan Personal Orchestra) and GOS (Garritan Orchestral Strings/Gigastudio GS3 Orchestra) run on a separate PC. I also use a MOTU 828MK2 for the Mac. My PC has an RME HDSP 9652 soundcard which has lightpipe outputs. The lightpipe output connects to the lightpipe input of the 828, and that is how the sounds are transferred from the PC into the Mac via 828. I also use a word clock (bnc-bnc cable) for stable clock sync. This eliminates clicks and pops since all digital gear needs to have some type of accurate clock sync. Think of clock sync like two revolving doors, you go in one door, and out the other, and vice versa, (hence master or slave setting) but the doors must always be rotating at the same speed. Your PC's sound card would be set to slave, and your Mac set to "master" or whatever the settings are in Cubase. There will always be some slight amount of latency, but that will be deteremined by your buffer settings.

Come back here if you have any more questions.

dpDan

Thank you for the reply. I dont think the M-Audio Delta 1010LT has a lightpipe connection. Would i have to get a sound card that does have lightpipe in order to have the two connect to each other?

Quote Originally Posted by tcs439
    Would i have to get a sound card that does have lightpipe in order to have the two connect to each other?
    Hi there Travis,
    Not necessarily. You will definately want to transfer the sounds from the PC into the Mac via some sort of digital connection, and the ADAT lightpipe has eight channels of audio. If you purchase a card with just a s/pdif (Sony/Philips digital interface) you would only be able to transfer two channels of audio. A card with at least one ADAT in and out, plus word clock is a must in my opinion, especially since the two computers are communicating with each other.

Also, when I purchased GS3 Ensemble, I was lead to believe that it had G-Pulse reverb, it doesn't, only GS3 Orchestra does, so you may want to consider purchasing GS3 Orchestra instead if the G-Pulse reverb is of importance to you.

dpDan

Ok, so i decided to build my pc from scratch. The list below is what i have decided on. Any advice or suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

1 ANTEC Life Style Series Black Case With 380W Power Supply "SONATA"
    1 ASUS "P4P800 SE" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU
    2 CORSAIR VALUESELECT 240-Pin 1GB DDR2 PC2-4200, Model VS1GB533D2
    1 Seagate 7200.8 200GB 7200RPM SATA NCQ Hard Drive (For Samples)
    1 Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive (For OS/GS3)
    1 Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache
    1 Lite-On 16X, DVD Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive
    1 MATROX G550 Video Card, 32MB DDR, 64-bit, DVI, 4X AGP, Model "G550"
    1 Frontier Design Wavecenter or Echo Gina soundcard

Oh also... Say i want to play a performance in midi in cubase. how would i trigger the sounds from giga to playback and eventually record them as audio?

Go Back to forum