• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Catherine In Winter

Share/Bookmark

Catherine In Winter

Greetings, all... my first effort with the GPO, with much, much, much yet to learn!

See Catherine In Winter.

etLux

Re: Catherine In Winter

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Greetings, all... my first effort with the GPO, with much, much, much yet to learn!

See Catherine In Winter.

etLux
    Lies! This can't possibly be your first effort. It sounds too good. I enjoyed this very much. Your compositional voice reminds me of the Debussy/Ravel crowd. You have a good handle on the use of dynamics as well. Keep it up!

it sounds *very* good!

could you please post that at a reasonable bitrate?

Quote Originally Posted by lontas
    Lies! This can't possibly be your first effort. It sounds too good. I enjoyed this very much. Your compositional voice reminds me of the Debussy/Ravel crowd. You have a good handle on the use of dynamics as well. Keep it up!
    Thanks much for the good word, Iontas! I received GPO on 02/23/05 (which I'm sure Gary can confirm); and -- it is, indeed, my first clumsy effort with this outstanding set of tools...

Quote Originally Posted by GigaLove
    it sounds *very* good! could you please post that at a reasonable bitrate?
    Thanks, GigaLove. Sure thing, I'd be happy to post it any way you'd like... but, er... what is a reasonable bit rate? Higher, lower?

All, please, please be aware I'm a complete novice at this end of things, and very much out of my league. Any guidance on conventions and techniques, how things are best posted to the web, etc., are *most* gratefully received!

Indeed, I would think a word from the more experienced members on best bit rates, etc., would be very helpful to many.

Many thanks,

etLux

Indeed incredibly beautiful! I agree, please post us a 128kbps mp3. THis is too good to miss anything .
    Kind Regards

LouisD

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Indeed incredibly beautiful! I agree, please post us a 128kbps mp3. THis is too good to miss anything .
    Kind Regards

LouisD
    Thank you so much for the kind words, LouisD -- and for the good advice!

I have *reposted* this with both a LOW (32Kb/s) and HIGH (128Kb/s) option.

etLux

Thank you! Now it's even more beautiful...

Kind Regards

LouisD

thanks for reposting it david!

-a very nice composition...I like your style...classical filmscoring...interesting how the tune in the middle somehow glides into atonality and then after all comes to a harmonical ending.

-some proposals: too much reverb. I know it is tempting because lots of reverb makes it in some aspect a little bit more realistic...but for the price of a general blurring. and the strings could be improved. they have almost the same fading-in attack....so more varifying velocities (velo controls the attack) might be good, perhaps more mod wheel curves and the decent mix of a solo string with the string body also contributes to the vividness of the strings. just some thoughts.

would love to hear more of you!
    and...who is catherine?

greetings!

Quote Originally Posted by GigaLove
    thanks for reposting it david!

-a very nice composition...I like your style...classical filmscoring...interesting how the tune in the middle somehow glides into atonality and then after all comes to a harmonical ending.

-some proposals: too much reverb. I know it is tempting because lots of reverb makes it in some aspect a little bit more realistic...but for the price of a general blurring. and the strings could be improved. they have almost the same fading-in attack....so more varifying velocities (velo controls the attack) might be good, perhaps more mod wheel curves and the decent mix of a solo string with the string body also contributes to the vividness of the strings. just some thoughts.

would love to hear more of you!
    and...who is catherine?

greetings!
    Thank you, GigaLove. I appreciate these comments much more than you might know.

I personally felt there was too much treatment, as well. The problem for a newcomer to this [GPO] is that getting even close to the sound you desire is akin to juggling burning turkeys while you try to brush your teeth... lol.

I compose directly from Finale, too, which is another area of difficulty for me -- I am still early in learning to control the GPO well enough via the scoring software.

In time, I hope, I will have learnt my craft well enough to deal with these matters with greater facility!

Oh, and -- Catherine is my wife. If you look at the score, you'll note the main thematic element is based on the letters of her name, shown in the first measure of the score pdf. The entire piece essentially manipulates that thematic element (in some rather obscure ways, I admit) to develop the composition.

etLux

David,

Amazing - even moreso being your first work. Your composition, melody, style, voicing, arrangement, orchestration - all first rate. I don't agree with you that your work is a "clumsy effort". If you consider this clumsy I cannot wait to hear what your graceful works will be like. It is difficult to pull this off in notation which can be difficult with expressiveness and mixing. We all have much to learn and this community is here to help. You have studied with some remarkable notables and there is much you can teach us.

OK. I am intrigued by your CodeBrain and other web sites. Very unique tools and a wealth of information and resources. Already imagining how to apply some of your applets on the GPO site.

You have a generous performance policy for those who wish to want to perform your works. Your spirit of giving in both your music and web tools is admirable. You're going to feel at home here with all the other generous and kindred spirits.

Thanks for sharing your music with us and for being a part of this community.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast