• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: 64 bit Questions...

Share/Bookmark

64 bit Questions...

Hi... I'll be getting two new computers some time soon, which has made have a look at 64 bit. I have a few questions.

a) Has anyone tried make a 64bit music setup, using 64 bit compatiible windows and programs? How did it turn out?

b) I guess Tascam will drop the ball on a 64 bit GS3, so i'm looking at going for Kontakt 2. How is the ram support for this - does it allow giant ram allocations? While I really prefere Gigastudio, having an 8GB computer full of instruments does make me want to jump ship

c) Any reasons to wait for Intels 6bit computer, or will the AMD's be just a good (im also talking pure processor power here). How long til Intel has a viable alternative?

Thanks

Re: 64 bit Questions...

a) I tried a setup with the 64 bit version of Sonar. I must say that until Longhorn becomes availiable, I would be careful about 64 bit applications. I personally did not notice a huge leap in performance. I believe that Logic for the Mac (G5's in particular), is 64 bit, and also Cubase SX 3 for the Mac.

b)I haven't heard about Kontakt 2, but I assume that it would have to address a memory chunk as large if not larger than GS 3.

c) Intel has some chips that have 64 bit extensions, so they are not as good as the AMD in regards to 64 bit processing. I also believe though that intel has a fully developed 64 bit server chip. Itanium 2.

You could get a Dual Opteron. That is pretty powerful, also some new G5's are on the way, if you are interested in Macs. The rumor of Dual Core Dual processor has been mumbled.

Beeson

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Hi... I'll be getting two new computers some time soon, which has made have a look at 64 bit. I have a few questions.

a) Has anyone tried make a 64bit music setup, using 64 bit compatiible windows and programs? How did it turn out?

b) I guess Tascam will drop the ball on a 64 bit GS3, so i'm looking at going for Kontakt 2. How is the ram support for this - does it allow giant ram allocations? While I really prefere Gigastudio, having an 8GB computer full of instruments does make me want to jump ship

c) Any reasons to wait for Intels 6bit computer, or will the AMD's be just a good (im also talking pure processor power here). How long til Intel has a viable alternative?

Thanks
    I would not make assumptions about (B).

Agreed.

We know that the Nemesys team is working on finishing up GigaPulse VST, and that GS3.04 is solid. So what's next for them?

One has to assume that they'll be working on

1) Full support for multi-core and multi-processor,

2) 64-bits, and

3) New features

Any good engineer knows that you have to bake the cake before you add the frosting. It's a good assumption that items 1 and 2 are their top concerns.

-JF

Well.. I guess it all depends on when. Im sick and tired up waiting for stuff that might come

So no one has tried mingle with the Windows 64 beta a 2GB+ ram?

Win64 XP will be released in April so I imagine there will be a slew of new machines released with it so I would wait till then at least.

I'm waiting until I can get a mb with support for at least 16 gb of ram and DUAL DUAL core 64 bit processors.

I may have to wait a bit for this but hopefully not too long. I imagine there will be regular dual 64 bit machines before the dual cores come out.

AMD may be a good choice but I've been using Intel as long as I've been using PCs (about 15 years now).

My wifes new machine is an AMD 64 so I guess she'll get first crack at the WinXP 64.

Cheers,
    JS

If K2 is a 32-bit app, I don't believe that it would be able to access any more memory on a 64-bit platform than on a 32-bit platform. Windows-64 will recognize K2 as a 32-bit app and run it in a 32-bit wrapper. If they are writing a true 64-bit version as well, then please ignore this paragraph.

We really need to wait for all of the pieces to come together before we get true 64-bit performance. And the mainstream won't hit 64-bits until Microsoft officially releases Longhorn.

Full 64-bit support (and cheaper RAM) will be cool. But then again, my composing tools are pretty cool today.

-JF

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Personally, I'd cool the jets on 64-bit technology right now, until it mainstreams a bit more. Unless you don't have deadlines to deal with, in which case I'd say, please be the guinea pigs for the rest of us!!

Yeah, didnt we have this discussion recently?

Ive said it before, but Im guessing it'll be around two years before a fully functional 64bit system makes its way into professional setups.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

The beta testers of XP 64 said it's quite stable already ( *quite stable ) . Hard to believe, but i hope it's true....just imagine all that RAM.

And talking about RAM , how can you get 8GB of ram on a 64 system ? Would you have to buy 4 x 2gb sticks or something ?
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast