• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Piston Cylindrical PC - possible GPO Rig?

Share/Bookmark

The Piston Cylindrical PC - possible GPO Rig?

First the Shuttle, then the Mac MINI, and now the Piston - a cylindrical-shaped PC.

With dual cone speakers positioned in the front of the unit, and a bass reflex subwoofer on the bottom of the unit, you can really blast GPO. The Piston is also outfitted with a discrete audio control module that will allow you to listen to your GPO MP3s and files on the hard drive without even powering on the unit's PC functions. The convenient integrated handle allows you to carry the Piston everywhere you go.

The Piston supports the 3.8Ghz Pentium 4 and is expected to be sold for $400 in the US.

Re: The Piston Cylindrical PC - possible GPO Rig?

Drat! And I just bought a new GPO DAW!!

This thing looks really cool, Gary, hopefully we'll have a bold user give us a review in the not too distant future...
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

Link?? Pics??

Here we go: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1775398,00.asp

Does look interesting!
    --Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric G
    Here we go: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1775398,00.asp

Does look interesting!
    --Eric
    Thanks Eric - and the slide show is here: http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewe...71&po=1,00.asp

Ah, OK, I'm guessing that price is before you load a processor into it. Looks pretty cool though! Might be a great box to pick up and carry to the occasional gig.

Interesting piece of equipment - I wonder what they mean exactly by 'bare bones' - $400 for a case, no matter how interesting, would still be a tad pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    Interesting piece of equipment - I wonder what they mean exactly by 'bare bones' - $400 for a case, no matter how interesting, would still be a tad pricey.
    Well, the system board looks to be in there for sure. I assume the processor, video card (if you don't use the video on the MB which is a good idea) and RAM are all extras but for a custom design that sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    First the Shuttle, then the Mac MINI, and now the Piston - a cylindrical-shaped PC.

With dual cone speakers positioned in the front of the unit, and a bass reflex subwoofer on the bottom of the unit, you can really blast GPO. The Piston is also outfitted with a discrete audio control module that will allow you to listen to your GPO MP3s and files on the hard drive without even powering on the unit's PC functions. The convenient integrated handle allows you to carry the Piston everywhere you go.

The Piston supports the 3.8Ghz Pentium 4 and is expected to be sold for $400 in the US.

The idea fascinates me. But perhaps I am missing something. How is this so different from a laptop, except for the speakers? I would mostly use it with a headset. You will need an external keyoard, and the operating system? Looks like Windows XP, but as a separate purchase, the price just went up. Can the play system be used without a keyboard? I could not discover a way to control playback without it. Whatever, I still find it a grand idea.

Neat, but no PCI slot = no professional audio card.

There are FAR better barebone systems out there for us DAW people - this is a gaming machine. The SFF (Small Form Factor) sure is getting popular!

I have my eye on the new Shuttle S?20 model for AMD64/939 using the ATI RS480 chipset. Good built-in video, decent audio (for those without sound cards) and best of all: is only 32db under load from only 1.5 feet. That's pretty darned quiet! The ST62K "Zen" is still the quietest PC going for a reasonable budget (having an external fanless power supply) and is TINY! Just room enough for 1 optical, 1 hard drive, 1 PCI card (audio!) and 2 RAM slots for 2048MB of RAM.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Go Back to forum