• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sampling methods of PMI Old Lady and Emperor

Share/Bookmark

Sampling methods of PMI Old Lady and Emperor

A user in this thread was asking about why only the white keys were sampled in the Old Lady, but this question was never addressed.

Is it true that the Old Lady only has white key samples? Is this true of the Emperor too? If so, why weren't all 88 keys sampled, and why isn't this fact mentioned anywhere on the website?

-C.

Re: Sampling methods of PMI Old Lady and Emperor

Memory?

------------
    Alex Cremers

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    Memory?

------------
    Alex Cremers
    Yes, but are the black keys sampled in either of those two pianos?
    Can anyone confirm this?

yes, only white keys sampled (both pianos).

Quote Originally Posted by juliannicholl
    yes, only white keys sampled (both pianos).
    Hm... Why isn't this stated anywhere on the webpage? I almost bought this thing, thinking all the keys were sampled ; I would have been one unhappy person when I installed it.

I don't think it's a great issue . Even EWQLSO Gold has a couple of samples that are mapped every two keys propably for balancing reasons i suppose. I believe 2 key sampling is better than chromatic sampling for many reasons....

With the same amount of samples, you could have a round robin patch mapped every two at the same memory usage. One semi stretch is not even noticable . The reverb would smudge out the changed characteristics of one semitone transpose .

I guess if you are a long time piano player you -might- notice something different even though i don't think so, maybe if you have the "golden ears" or perfect pitch...or something like that...but each piano has different harmonics anyway....

Don't be too picky , let the speakers talk sometime and not only the visuals on the computer screen
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

I recall a thread back when the libraries were released discussing such. I believe memory use might've been one of the issues. Try searching the archives for that thread.

The Old Lady library is very playable and has a beautiful sound. Well worth the money I spent. It along with a few others are on my personal short list of "must have" piano libraries. I've no regrets at all about it.

By the way guys ,

I actually bought the Emperor instead of the Old Lady for these reasons....

- First of all i thought the dynamic range was more powerful at the top and quite soft at the bottom ( On the comparison , same midi -> Mp3 song )

- It said it had more velocity layers and larger size.

- The name is much cooler than Old lady ( Sounds strange, but it is important to me )

Has anyone got both of them ? Was my choice right ?
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    By the way guys ,

I actually bought the Emperor instead of the Old Lady for these reasons....

- First of all i thought the dynamic range was more powerful at the top and quite soft at the bottom ( On the comparison , same midi -> Mp3 song )

- It said it had more velocity layers and larger size.

- The name is much cooler than Old lady ( Sounds strange, but it is important to me )

I am not especially knowledgable, but I have the Old Lady, Emperor and Vintaudio Yamaha C7.

To me the C7 is too bright (almost chorused---maybe not). The Old Lady seems to be a little too mellow and the Emperor seems "just right".

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    By the way guys ,

LOL. Yea.. But "Old Lady" kind of grows on you after awhile.

Was your decision right? Depends on a lot of things... some of them, if not many, of them subjective. I decided for the Old Lady because I was attracted to the lyrical and overall mellow sound of the library. Also I was hesitant to duplicate the "Bosie" sound as I already had the PMI 290. But I think that was a misplaced concern, and with the special pricing I should just go ahead and get it. BTW, I still like and use the Steinway Grandioso library --very different in character from the Old Lady.

Go Back to forum