• Register
  • Help

Topic: Instances

Share/Bookmark

Instances

I'm reading thru my GPO guide, and under the "Sustain and Sostenudo Pedal Mode" it states ..." All Kontakt player instances must be set to the same configuration "

First ....What is an instance ?

Second...Pertaining to this message that the instances must be set to the same configuration, I'm not sure what this means....It sort of sounds like this is some kind of limitation, but I'm not sure .....Please advise...Thanks, Jim

Re: Instances

Okay,

Each VSTi loaded into your VST host is an 'instance.'

If you have one of them set to piano sustain mode, they all share that setting.

If you have one of them set to legato mode, they all share that setting.

That is a limitation of Kontakt in general.

The workaround is to create a copy of the VST plugin with a different name. This way you can have one VST controlling piano sustain and one for legato. There are directions around here somewhere for doing that.

I say, good explanation, Joe. Hurrah.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Joe,
    That's what I thought it meant , but I was hoping that it was not the case....If you happen to remember what link it was that had to do with changing the names so that a variety of intances can be used, please keep me in mind.....Thanks a lot for your help .....Sincerely, Jim

PS....If you're running instruments on different midi channels, why can't you use different instances....Instances are similar to effects that you would have in an aux channel for all the instruments to use no ??....

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut
    Joe,
    That's what I thought it meant , but I was hoping that it was not the case....If you happen to remember what link it was that had to do with changing the names so that a variety of intances can be used, please keep me in mind.....Thanks a lot for your help .....Sincerely, Jim

PS....If you're running instruments on different midi channels, why can't you use different instances....Instances are similar to effects that you would have in an aux channel for all the instruments to use no ??....

I was a little confused with this concept at first, but figured it out -

CREATE A 2nd VST HOST
    WinXP - Make a copy of the VST host ( program ) that is inside the Garritan Personal Orchestra. I used CONTROL/click & drag. The new copy will be named "Copy of Garritan Personal Orchestra".
    Rename that "Garritan Personal Orchestra Sustain"

Now you have to register this new VST host program with your software. In Sonar 2.2 I use a Cakewalk application to register it.

When you're back inside your sequencing software and you select a VSTi you'll see these choices
    Garritan Personal Orchestra
    Garritan Personal Orchestra Sustain

Open each one and set the parameters for each - one host for sustain and the other normal.

The result will be - all instances from the Normal host will have normal settings
    and instances from the Sustain host will have use of the sustain pedal.

I hope this helps.
    Bosco Adama

Read the instructions above, that's it in a nut shell. You'll have two Garritan Personal Orchestra dll's (the actual VSTi.) One for normal legato function, one for sustain. You'll need to do this in your sequencer's VST folder as well. For Cubase its: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase\VST Plugins, or if not that C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VST Plugins. So I assume most host sequencers have a similar folder structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Read the instructions above, that's it in a nut shell. You'll have two Garritan Personal Orchestra dll's (the actual VSTi.) One for normal legato function, one for sustain. You'll need to do this in your sequencer's VST folder as well. For Cubase its: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase\VST Plugins, or if not that C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VST Plugins. So I assume most host sequencers have a similar folder structure.

Or just use Marklefords excellent plugin

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31821
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. He just made that didn't he? Check it out. I'm not familiar with using MFX plug ins, so someone else will have to give guidance on how that works.

Thanks a lot guys....Since I will be using Sonar, I think I will try the pluggin, and see how things go, but will keep the other remedy also in mind...Thanks again...Sincerely, Jim

Go Back to forum