• Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Topic: Welcome to the GPO Academy!

Share/Bookmark

Re: Welcome to the GPO Academy!

OK Since Northern Sounds says "Why not start with your first post today and become an active part of northernsounds.com now!" on every page I look at, I will!

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and really glad I finally got through the hoops of setting up my msn account so I could register here. I can tell already I'm going to enjoy this community. I am interested especially in sharing ideas and compositions with other composers of any skill level (ie, I can happily be peer, student or teacher as the situation warrants, although the last will be rare!). Sometimes, just having someone listen to your works attentively, kindly, and intelligently can make all the difference. I am a member of a couple (very small) groups in Colorado that do that for and with each other. If anyone is interested in sharing this way with me over the internet, I'd love it! I write primarily modern classical stuff. You can check out my stuff on my blog kepeace.blogspot.com. Send me a msg if you'd like to share ideas and compositions!

Cheers, everyone!

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by KE Peace
    Hi Everyone ..........
    Hi Karen – Welcome to the forum!

I don’t know if you have discovered the rest of this forum – click were it says “Garritan Libraries” and you will find a lot of choices. You may want to repost your introduction as a new thread in the “General Discussion” area. As you will see by the number of posts, this is the most popular part of the forum.

As far as posting and listening to music, try the “Listening Room”. There is a huge amount of music posted there covering many different genres. People are usually more than happy to make comments on pieces posted there. That’s not to say you won’t get offers to exchange and discuss music “off line”.

Anyway, welcome again. I’m sure you’ll soon find, if you haven’t discovered it already, that this is one of the nicest little corners on the Internet.
    Trent P. McDonald

Trent,

thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Yes, I will re-post as you suggest -- I'm pretty new to forums and how to find my way around and did think afterwards that my "hello" probably got buried in all the responses to the first thread.

Anyway, pleasure to make your acquaintance!

Warm regards,
    Karen

I hope I'm in the right place.

I learnt violin for a few years at school and with it learnt how to read music and another few things that I have probably forgotten.
    After a whole bunch of years away from music all together I found myself playing keyboard badly and writing some music, mostly pop tunes and some instrumental stuff.
    I decided that my orchestration was rubbish and so I am working my way through that set of lessons here and I had from I don't know where, Arnold Schoenberg's Theory of Harmony.
    I'm reading it on the train each day as I go in to work but I'm thinking that I am a bit short on some of the very basics of music theory.
    Does anyone have a recommended reading list that might cover what I'm looking for.
    I think it's a refresher on scales and keys that I'm needing, but there is every chance that there are other things that I need reminded of that I can't think of at the moment.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

ta
    Kiv

Kiv,
    Well everybody is gonna have their favorites, but for basic music theory (scales, keys, terminology) you could get Robert W. Ottman's Elementary Harmony: Theory and Practice and Advanced Harmony: Theory and Practice on AMAZON, used, and very inexpensively. A nice and handy resource for fingerings, ranges and transpositions as well as string positions and drum rudiments is Clarence V. Hendrickson's Fingering Charts for Instrumentalists. Elizabeth A. H. Green's book on bowings may be too much right now but keep it in mind, as well as Persichetti's Twentieth Century Harmony.

The very best of luck!

Hello, all!

As my profile says, I've been lurking and lusting here since 2004. Now I finally got GPO and JABB, so now I'm ready to join the club.

I hope I will, in some small way, be able to give back to what I know will be a limitless storehouse of knowledge.

Generousity such as this has got to be rewarded.

GOD IS WATCHING!!
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

Thumbs up Re: Welcome to the GPO Academy!

Hi Everyone Im new to this forum and i cant wait to get to know some of you talented musicians and/or musical enthusiasts from all over the globe. All you who love the art of music as much as I do and appreciate the great work Garritan has done in helping make our dreams become reality. Thanks Garry!

A bit about myself: My name is Alexandre or Alex for short and im 18 years of age. Im currently doing my final year of senior high school in Adelaide, South Australia and i am passionate about my music and more importantly the music of others. Ive been playing piano for approximately 8-9 years and i can also play a spot of guitar(but not so well).

The fact that there are people like Garritan who do not just create good products for the sake of making money, but rather emphasise and promote the musical development of enthusiasts brings a smile to my face.
    I have only recently learned of GPO and its many wonders and now that i have finally got a chance to experience the awesome product, I seriously cant stop using the program. Im beginning to see possibilities for my musical life which i couldnt even comprehend before i learned of this program.

Im eager to share what i have learned as a musician over the years (which unfortunately is not a lot but still something) and cant wait to learn from the vast collective pool of experience and knowledge which you all posses. I wish everyone good luck working and learning together in the ever-changing world of music and i hope to see you all in the days, weeks, months, and years to come!

I accept with information:Theory and Practice on AMAZON, used, and very inexpensively. A nice and handy resource for fingerings, ranges and transpositions as well as string positions and drum rudiments is Clarence V. Hendrickson's Fingering Charts for Instrumentalists.

I accept with infomation:Theory and Practice on AMAZON, used, and very inexpensively. A nice and handy resource for fingerings, ranges and transpositions as well as string positions and drum rudiments is Clarence V. Hendrickson's Fingering Charts for Instrumentalists.

Go Back to forum