• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: Cubase SX3 is the worst Cubase version I have ever used.

Share/Bookmark

Cubase SX3 drives me nuts

No matter how much patience I tried to have, SX3 is the worst Cubase version I have ever used.

The potential is there but in a real life situation, when the client is breathing down your neck, you just can't afford the unpredictable behavior of 3.01 (and 3.0)

I understand a lot of people are happy with it and that means they don't have to deal with the crap I have to deal with.

I have been a Cubase owner for about 15 years now. A happy customer, until now.

3.0 is shelved. I am staying with 2.2 until Steinberg gets their act together.

Maybe it is that SX3 doesn't like Tyan dual Mobo, maybe the fact that I use SX with video and Quicktime is the reason. Maybe the fact that I also use FX Teleport has to do with it. Maybe it is because I bring projects from 2.2 into 3.

Whatever the reason, I got ripped off, spending money that Steinberg pocketed and never delivered on their promise of a great version.

I couldn't care less about all the extra features. Give me a stable DAW!

I'll give it a few extra months and if nothing changes, I am switching.

Edited: well hmmm , I finally got a new computer and after a few days spent fine tuning my system, Cubase SX3.02 is very solid. This above post was writen under extreme frustration and since I cannot change its title, here is my apology for unfair and inexact assessment.

Re: OT: Cubase SX3 is the worst Cubase version I have ever used.

Thats interesting Patrick, its posts like this that have held me from upgrading since last year. I actually ordered it and sent it back to the store.

Have you heard the old saying?

Q: Who's the beta testing team for Steinberg?

A:We are!!
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Sorry your having so many problems with SX 3 Patrick. For the most part I`ve found it to be pretty stable on my system. BUT,,,I`m now in the process of swtching over to Samplitude 8.1 because:
    a) the Audio editing and engine is superior and much more transparent
    b) SX doesnt support Video Overlay on PC !!!! Only on Mac.
    To me this is unbelieveable and unacceptable for writing to picture using a 3rd T.V monitor out.
    Generally SX handles video like ~~~~e on a P.C
    the ony reason i stil use SX is cause the its has the most advanced midi capabilities on the market and its great for chopping up beats etc... Still after working with Sam after a couple of months SX is starting to feel like a bit of a toy Rich

Hey Rich, Id be very interested to hear how you get on with Samplitude. Are you saying it lets you route a TV or Firewire output? I miss this in the PC version of Cubase too.

How does it handle VSTs, EW Gold, disk streaming etc, any issues?
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Hi Scottie, hi Rich, how is it going guys?

I am considering turning my Tyan Dual Athlon 1900+ into a slave computer and using one of my Asus P4 800 deluxe into the master.
    For some reason, I think the Dual Athlon might have something to do with the poor performance.

Scott, I bet you are real busy trying to put out all the cues for your game project. Best of luck with it man!

Hey Rich, out of all people I would never have expected you to switch away from Cubase!
    But if you tell me Samplitude sound engine is better I believe you.

Since most of my work requires midi, I would prefer staying with Cubase.

I was ranting last night because of valuable time wasted trying to get SX3 to work properly...

Be well

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Hey Rich, Id be very interested to hear how you get on with Samplitude. Are you saying it lets you route a TV or Firewire output? I miss this in the PC version of Cubase too.

How does it handle VSTs, EW Gold, disk streaming etc, any issues?
    Hey Scotty and Patrick,
    Yea, because Sam is to Sequoia is what SX is to Nuendo it handles all Vid. formats and T.V. out hardware Overlay beautifully. No Glitchs. When you scrub through frames it almost feels like your in an Avid .
    I could only get Avi and some QT mov. files to work properly in SX3. Like Patrick i had more luck with SX 2.2 .
    Sam also comes bundled with a Vid program called Movie maker 10 (terrible name) which can convert and capture any vid format into a .mvx which is the native file system for Sam.
    This is the 1st time Ive been happy scoring o pic. in 3 years. I never realized how bad SX was at this on PC. I think on Mac it works great with SX3 expecially on a G5 with OSX 10.3.
    Working with midi in sam is another story. Its pretty basic and often frustrating but workable. Ive done 2 shows with it. The 1st i thought i was gonna light myself on fire in protest. But then by the 2nd, once i got used to "the Sam way" it was alot smoother...
    One thing I really love is the Sam/Seq Forum. Because theres a smaller user base,t he Developers ACTUALLY HANG OUT there. And you can discuss the programs shortcomings and pitfalls directly with them. So, even though i feel like I`m beta-testing there midi implimentation, There taking my suggestions to heart and promise improvements in coming updates. Its a registered forum and they take there users seriously. Posting on the Cubase forum is like pissing in the wind.
    Ther routing in Sam. is way more sofisticated (anything can be routed anywere) and Audio can live in midi tracks and via verse. Also 1 midi part can contain 16 midi channels and 16 outs, which potentially could be great for VSL type multi-articulations on 1 track.
    Its not bad with VSTi`s and i havent noticed any performance issues with QLSO. Though is suspect that SX a little better in this department especially with ease of use. It doesnt love V-stack like SX does so Im using Forte into Sam on my 2nd machine (so far so good)
    I have noticed that rendered audio from QLSO midi performances sound notably better to me. Sam seems to be more transparent and I`m noticing a better depth of sound.
    Mixing and editing audio (not comping though) are WAY better in Sam. There object based editing is incomparably brilliant. It makes PT look like a game.
    Still , for midi and rexfile type electronica or and stuff like that, SX kills. It was made for it.
    Patrick, yea i can`t believe I`m gradually converting over but i think in the long run Sam is gonna be better for me cause i cant stand know that sonically things arent sounding as good as they could be. Sams native FX are on par with UAD`s and they have a new Melodyne type feature called "Elastic audio". If you have some spare time you can check out there demo..I have to warn ya`, Its complex and deep , not for the faint at heart I`m sure I`ll always use both for there strenghts, both programs are innovative... Best to yu both , Rich
    Scott did you get a chance to check out the Alias booth at the Games convention?

Hey Patrick, hope you are well mate, yeah Im down to the final weeks, madly writing away! Dont let that darn Cubase upset you too much!

Rich, thanks for all the info on Samplitude, it sounds very appealing. The price seems a little steep though, especially if you cant completely rely on it for all your music production. (like advanced midi)

Ill download a demo though, I keep hearing great things about it.

Rich, which convention are you referring to? GDC? I didnt get to that as Im busy completing Stargate. What was at the Alias booth? Jennifer Garner? She's been following me around you know.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Hey Patrick, hope you are well mate, yeah Im down to the final weeks, madly writing away! Dont let that darn Cubase upset you too much!

Rich, thanks for all the info on Samplitude, it sounds very appealing. The price seems a little steep though, especially if you cant completely rely on it for all your music production. (like advanced midi)

Ill download a demo though, I keep hearing great things about it.

Rich, which convention are you referring to? GDC? I didnt get to that as Im busy completing Stargate. What was at the Alias booth? Jennifer Garner? She's been following me around you know.
    Hey Scott, I managed to get the crossgrade price from SX to Sam. If you think Sam is expensive you should check prices for Sequoia..$3000 U.S!!!
    No, its nowere near as advanced as SX for midi but makes up for it in the audio department (just the CD and DVD burning right from your project window, object editing, x-fading, pitch and time stretching abilities alone)
    Yea, i though you were heading to the GDC. Alias Software Systems (Maya, Studio tools etc..) I`ve done the music for there last 3 promo. reels...Anyways, can i hang with you? I have a huge crush on Jennifer Garner. That and 24 are my favorite shows right now...Let us know what you think of the demo

Strange... my SX3 is really stable! Must be some VST causing you problems

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Strange... my SX3 is really stable! Must be some VST causing you problems
    Its really stable here too..but Personally,I just cant deal with the lack of Video support in SX . Its actually pathetic that Stienberg obviously dont think that people who write to picture are a priority or else they would impliment a better system and get there Windows codex up to date etc... etc..
    I mean it looks bad when your client is sitting there..having to watch on a tiny onscreen window on you 2nd monitor!! I cant put the picture on my T.V.. Even Windows media player can do that!!!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast