• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sampling a Hardware Synth.

Share/Bookmark

Sampling a Hardware Synth.

Hello friends,

I would like to sample the sounds from motif and create my own patches to be distributed[commercial and free]. I have few questions regarding it and here is a link to the thread on motif forum. This guy tells me to consult the lawyer. Is it that complicated!!!

http://www.motifator.com/forums/show...b=5&o=&fpart=1

What are your thoughts about it? How come atmosphere uses sounds from hardware synths without any problem[or did they have to get some license to use those sounds?]

Please advice me how do I go about having the safe approach to avoid any legal trouble.

Thanks

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Sampling a Hardware Synth.

It's really easy. If the source sound is synthesized in realtime, you can sample it. If the sound is made up of any recorded/sampled/waveform material--even if it is being modulated or resynthesized by the keyboard, you can't without getting permission from the copyright holder. It's all about source recordings from a legal standpoint.

I think that the Motif is largely waveform based, so I have doubts that it would be kosher to distribute the sounds.

Just to add to Bruce’s comment, Atmosphere has a number of sample-based synth sounds. The reason Spectrasonics can sample these synths without any copyright issues is that Eric Persing was the original sound designer for these synths and is consequently the copyright holder.

I agree with Bruce that re-distributing samples from the Motif (free or commercial) would probably be a copyright violation. The safe bet is to always check with the copyright holder what goes.

/Yoss

Once you get the rights, there's a brilliant program from www.redmatica.com called Autosampler. It will send out prescribed MIDI notes at various velocities, controllers, etc., automatically sample an instrument, and then build an EXS24-format program.

Chickensys Translator Pro will then help convert the program to other formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Once you get the rights, there's a brilliant program from www.redmatica.com called Autosampler.
    You also need a Mac running OS 10.2

While we are on the subject, Does anyone know of an equivilant program that will do this for Giga or Kontakt on a pc?...I've been sampling all my hardware synths for years and making Gigastudio files...Time consuming isn't even the word for it....It's a major pain but having my favorite patches a click away is well worth it and not having all the midi/patch cables-racks of effects,big mixing console,cables,cables,more cables,did I mention cables?...I have since converted them to Kontakt and having the ability to sound stack say the Triton's "Romance Layers" with the Fantom's "So True" with the K2500's "Flatliner's" on 1 midi channel is nothing short of amazing...Let alone having the ability to add vst fx like compression or delays to just that channel on top of it....This has increased workflow tremendously but getting the patches to samples to gig/nki files has been a true kick in the pants and I constantly think about how cool a program like that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Just to add to Bruce’s comment, Atmosphere has a number of sample-based synth sounds. The reason Spectrasonics can sample these synths without any copyright issues is that Eric Persing was the original sound designer for these synths and is consequently the copyright holder.

I agree with Bruce that re-distributing samples from the Motif (free or commercial) would probably be a copyright violation. The safe bet is to always check with the copyright holder what goes.

/Yoss
    Have you seen the list of hardware synths involved in the making of Atmosphere??!!...I know Eric has created probably 100's of thousands of sounds but there are many,MANY on that list I'm sure he didn't have a hand in...The Kawai board comes to mind quickly...I'm sure there is a cut and dry legal answer though....

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    I would be really surprised if Eric holds the copyrights for sounds he created at Roland or any other companies since he was under their employ. My guess is Roland controls them exclusively.

- Mike Greene

The question of whether you can use samples from a sample based synth is an interesting one. If you are not allowed to use sounds from a Roland D50 (for instance) to create a new sample library because it would violate Roland's copyrights, then wouldn't it ALSO be a violation of Roland's copyrights to use a D50 in a sound recording (soundtrack, CD or whatever?)

I know that sounds silly, but from a strictly legal standpoint, the two situations are nearly identical.

I wonder if there was some legal language in the manuals about accepted uses that came with any sample based synths.

- Mike Greene

Thanks for the response, friends. I was always under impression that it would'nt be a problem to sample a hardware synth. Mike Greene has a good point that the copyright to those sounds is owned by the companies for whom Eric designed the sounds.

As Bruce says that if the sound is completely synthesized, it can be sampled - but dont most of these hardware synths use some sort of wave files as the base to synthesize the sounds?

Thanks

Go Back to forum