• Register
  • Help

Topic: Personal Orch. "Audio Routing" pref - help!

Share/Bookmark

Personal Orch. "Audio Routing" pref - help!

Can some of you help me understand the Audio Routing preferences?

This must be very easy and obvious to most people, but I'm not "getting" it.

I'm using a MOTU 828 with ADAT connection to my mixer.

By trial & error, I set the first two entries in the Audio Routing screen to "MOTU 828 Out 15" and "MOTU 828 Out 16".

What are all these other entries for?
    How can/would/should I use them?
    Do I set only the first two as I have done, or do I need to set them all?

I can't find any explanation of how/what/when/where/why about this screen (except for the tiny bit on p. 59 of the manual, which I don't really understand).

Can someone help clear this up for me? Thanks!
    David

Standalone app OR plugin - same question!

Really, my question applies to the standalone app or the plugin:

Would someone please explain the Audio Routing pref. screen - what are all these slots for, and how would/could I use them? An example would help a lot.

(I'm using DP, but my guess is that the principal is the same for any sequencer, and certainly for the standalone.)

Thanks!
    David

Re: Standalone app OR plugin - same question!

Hi David, I too use DP with a MOTU 828 and I think I can help.
    The ADAT lightpipe is only good for (eight mono) or (four stereo) inputs and outputs. If you are coming out of a separate PC where GPO is loaded, you would need to use only 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, or 7-8 in the Kontakt player.

In DP, you would set your aux track or audio recording track to any of these four stereo tracks. I could be alot more help if you described your setup exactly.

I am under the impression that GPO is on a separate PC.

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi David, I too use DP with a MOTU 828 and I think I can help.
    The ADAT lightpipe is only good for (eight mono) or (four stereo) inputs and outputs. If you are coming out of a separate PC where GPO is loaded, you would need to use only 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, or 7-8 in the Kontakt player.

In DP, you would set your aux track or audio recording track to any of these four stereo tracks. I could be alot more help if you described your setup exactly.

I am under the impression that GPO is on a separate PC.
    Hi, dpDan. Thanks for helping!

Here is my setup. I think it is close to yours, so any advice you can give me about how I should set up GPO would be great:

I have a Mac G4, MOTU 828, MOTU MidiExpressXT, Roland XV-88 keyboard, and Korg 168RC mixer. I'm using DP 4.52, and the latest version of OS X. DP, GPO, RMX, and Ivory are all loaded on my Mac, and I have no other computers.

I setup my mixer so the output is from ADAT 7/8 (I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it -- any suggestions?).

In DP, I have to assign every VI to ADAT 7/8. I got my system working by chance. Even though I've tried to understand the mixer manual, I don't "get it." At any rate, as long as I set every VI instance to ADAT 7/8, everything works.

I'm sure there is a better way. Because you own the same (or similar) setup, can you offer a better solution for me? If you want, you could email me at dcollett@macosx.com.

Thanks very much!
    David

Hi David, I just recently received my second authorization from Native Instruments to allow me to install GPO on my Mac. I was a little confused because you originally mentioned the ADAT lightpipe connection, so I thought you had GPO on a separate PC computer.

Let me do this.... I am going to go now and install GPO on the Mac, and that way I will be able to better understand your setup, because my GPO is on a separate PC.

Hopefuly I'll be back before too long...

dpDan

David you have email....

Go Back to forum