• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO user feedback

Share/Bookmark

GPO user feedback

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I'm not yet a GPO user, but I'd like to ask a few questions which may influence my decision to buy it. How happy are people with the product? Are there any Finale or PrintMusic users here? I'm a PrintMusic user and I'm looking to make realistic scores. I'm doing most of my composing using my mouse directly onto the staff. How easy would it be to use GPO in this manner? Also on the product website there is a list of instruments but I haven't seen anything on special effects like flutter tounging, muted strings, tremolo etc. (it does mention something on the more expensive String Ensemble product but very little on the GPO). I also have Cubase LE but I don't really know anything about VST plugins - is this compatible with GPO? Lastly hows the documentation (or do I even need it)? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Re: GPO user feedback

Hello, Crusty.

You'll find most people on this forum are avid GPO fans. That's why they're here... so you may not get an unbiased review of the product. Suffice to say that we're all very happy with it.

I cannot speak for Finale or PrintMusic. Sorry, I don't use these products.

I, too, use a mouse to place notes in my sequencer as I do not have a [piano] keyboard connected to system. GPO is hosted within your favourite sequencer or notation programme, so the way you place notes into your composition is the same as before, except that you'll hear the glorious GPO sounds instead.

Flutter tongue (flute), muted strings and tremelo are ALL in the latest GPO release.

I don't use Cubase, but I'm certain the GPO can be hosted within it, the same way it does in Sonar (the product that I use), in a VST "container".

GPO comes with some documentation to get you started, with pointers about how to get out the expressive nature of some of the instruments, as well a complete breakdown of all the instruments within GPO, and their respective articulations/nuances.

I hope this helps.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Quote Originally Posted by crusty
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I'm not yet a GPO user, but I'd like to ask a few questions which may influence my decision to buy it.
    Hi Crusty,

First let me welcome you to the forum, and say that there is nothing we like better here than talking about GPO.

How happy are people with the product? Are there any Finale or PrintMusic users here? I'm a PrintMusic user and I'm looking to make realistic scores.
    Yes, there are many here who use Finale, Overture, and other score writing software in various ways. I used Overture to start the Peter and the Wolf score that you’ll find around here somewhere. Saved it as a midi file and finished it off in Digital Performer. However there are many users who work totally within the notation software and achieve remarkable results.

I'm doing most of my composing using my mouse directly onto the staff. How easy would it be to use GPO in this manner?
    GPO is usually used as a virtual instrument within another application like a sequencing DAW or Finale etc. What ever way you like to write your music, GPO will play it for you.

Also on the product website there is a list of instruments but I haven't seen anything on special effects like flutter tounging, muted strings, tremolo etc. (it does mention something on the more expensive String Ensemble product but very little on the GPO).
    There is flutter tonguing on the flutes, all the string sections can be muted and they also have tremolo.

I also have Cubase LE but I don't really know anything about VST plugins - is this compatible with GPO?
    Yes

Lastly hows the documentation (or do I even need it)? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.
    While GPO is easy to use, you should read carefully all the docs to get the most out of it. There are also quite a few tutorials on the Garritan site to help you, and if you get stuck or just want to talk GPO talk, many people here will be glad to guide you along the path to GPO stardom.

Hope this helps,

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by crusty
    How happy are people with the product? Are there any Finale or PrintMusic users here? I'm a PrintMusic user and I'm looking to make realistic scores. I'm doing most of my composing using my mouse directly onto the staff. How easy would it be to use GPO in this manner? Lastly hows the documentation (or do I even need it)?
    It's a great product, a great company and a forum. Am I happy? Couldn't be happier (short of channeling Beethoven!)

I have no keyboard and don't really need one...I plan on getting one, but it's not required.

Documentation is par excellance...it says what it means and it means what it says.

Also, re: Finale...check out the Geniesoft forums...http://geniesoft.com/forum/ the supplied Overture is getting a face-lift that you may find useful!

Good luck!

And there's the 24 hour tech line 100% operated and supported by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    And there's the 24 hour tech line 100% operated and supported by myself.
    And Joseph NEVER sleeps, so you can always get help! :-)

Seriously...give GPO a shot. You will be amazed!

I often call it my desert-island software. GPO is in DAILY use in my studio. Plus, it's got the best forum on the net!
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

Thumbs up Re: GPO user feedback

but I'd like to ask a few questions which may influence my decision to buy it.
    It's like this ... If they were selling Rolls Royce cars comparable you would buy it, right? Don't avoid the question ... you would wouldn't you? Well, as far as I am concern GPO, this forum, and everything included is the Rolls Royce of orchestral libraries.
    Concerns? Only one I can think of is me......THE MAN'S NUTS, GRAB 'EM!

Frankly, you should consider it one of the best investments for your work. If you’re serious, get serious and get GPO!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Concerns? Only one I can think of is me......THE MAN'S NUTS, GRAB 'EM!
    I find only two problems with this whole GPO thing. 1. GPO is addictive. 2. This wonderfully goofy forum is addictive.

Now I’ve got to get off here and satisfy my other addiction for a while.

Karl

Welcome to the forum, Crusty!

I'm a GPO user who uses GPO with Cakewalk Music Creator 2002 (the cheapskate version of Sonar) for sequencing and Noteworthy Composer (the cheapskate version of Finale) for notation. They both work great with GPO, however I would suggest a sequencer if you want to make an audio file at the end. With Cakewalk you can simply 'export audio' and your file will be right there. If you use a notation program, chances are that you'll have to connect your audio outs to your audio ins and record GPO studio's output. (GPO studio is what you use with a notation program, if you didn't already know that) I happen to use the DXi plugin, which I'm very happy with (My version of Cakewalk is pre-VST)
    Anyway,
    With GPO studio (included in the package) you can use your notation program just like you did before, but there are some small differences: First, you must launch GPO studio before you can work in your notation program. Second, keyswitches for different articulations can make your score ugly (Noteworthy Composer has an option that lets you hide selected notes, which is a very valuable feature). Third, you have many different controllers that you must use (mod wheel for the casual user, many others for the advanced user) in order to get the most expression out of GPO. I'm not familiar with the software you mentioned above, but in Noteworthy Composer you can insert controller changes and they are all hidden (visually).

I hate to be negative, but there are some down sides to GPO. There are only three solo violins, one solo viola, three solo cellos, and one solo bass that are keyswitched. This means that you can only build enseambles out of solo instruments if there are no con sordino or pizz sections in your peice. But there are always enseamble patches with keyswitches for that. There are only four clarinets, which is a limit if you like huge orchestras (like me!), yet there are also four bass clarinets. Interesting. There is only one viberato flute patch, so you can't have a section of flutes all doing viberato unless you get really tedious with the pitch wheel. The brass is a little bit on the synthie side. It's good for orchestral mockups, but the GPO brass wouldn't pass for real brass, unlike the woodwinds and percussion which are both EXTREMELY realistic. The mallet percussion doesn't offer soft and hard mallets, but that doesn't really matter unless your really picky about your orchestra. The timpani don't come with pre-made rolls, so you have to construct them by hand, which can get tedious trying to create a realistic roll. And lastly, the strings aren't the best in the world, but still very good.

I hope I've given you some good insight to the world of GPO, and by all means, I'd recomend you buy it. It's a great peice of software, being versitle, playable (doesn't pertain to you, since you use a mouse, like so many of us), and realistic. One more thing: it's more warm sounding than some other libraries out there. If you want the more bright Holywood sound, I'd recomend EWQLSO.

Whew! I feel like I've written a novel here!

Reguards,
    Chris

Go Back to forum