• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Opus 1 question regarding loading entire set

Share/Bookmark

Opus 1 question regarding loading entire set

I was just wondering if anyone with Opus 1 has managed to load the entire set at once. While fooling around with various samples that came with GS3 Orchestra, I ran into a problem with the limit of what can be loaded (barely 600 MB of memory usable). I've since searched the forums and discovered that it's an old issue concerning Win XP and the amount of "Tested Memory" that GigaStudio recognizes as usable. I've also found the memory tweak tool (by Mattias Heningson) and gotten the right setting to allow my GS3 to use more memory. Now I'm wondering if people with a similar system to mine manage to load all of Opus 1 into GS3.

My Specs:
    Win XP SP2
    P4 3.4 GHz
    2 GB DDR 400 RAM

By the way, setting "4" in Mattias' tool helped me the most.

Re: Opus 1 question regarding loading entire set

You would definetly be able to load a full Opus 1 orchestra, but I don't think you could load the whole thing at once. The performance instruments (legato and portamento) are fairly ram intensive. With two systems, you can definetly load it all. With one you would have to make some choices - which may or may not be a problem for you, depending on your needs.

This is based on my calculations, which I would believe to be accurate. Anyone with experience of the set who can say other wise, I would certainly like to hear from you.

Thanks, it's certainly good to be aware of this before buying Opus 1.

If I splurge for Opus 1 downstream, I'd get it for Kontakt, not Gigastudio 3 (although I own both)

Really, why for Kontakt? I'm new to samplers and curious.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoscina
    If I splurge for Opus 1 downstream, I'd get it for Kontakt, not Gigastudio 3 (although I own both)
    But then you wouldn't be able to run it through Gigapulse - have you heard VSL instruments through GP? It is truly a thing of beauty. GS3 also has better RAM handling, you can load more up per system simultaneously.

I would like to hear your reasons though for wanting to go with Kontakt though, maybe I overlooked something (but what?).

One of my favorite things about GS3 is that the loads are so much faster. I used to be really obsessed about loading everything and using fixed templates. Now, with GS3's fast load times, I just load the instruments as I need them. I'm no longer feeling RAM poor.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by dcoscina
    You wouldn't be able to load MORE instruments with the Kontakt version than you can with Giga 3 (at least currently -- it will be interesting to see what type of performance people get from Kontakt 2)

From what I have heard from a few people , GS3 is actually more efficient in the way it handles samples than Kontakt ....I'm new to virtual setups like this so I can't speak about older version's of Giga, but when I see how large the files are that I am loading, I think Giga3 does a GREAT job speed wise, loading these monsters ... I totally agree with Jon.....I pick and choose what instruments I want and go from there.....They load fast for the size of them ..
    One thing I am NOT use to ....I'm filling up H.D.'s really FAST !!.... I've NEVER used up a H.D. this fast in my life ... ..... I'm getting hooked on this stuff....I see many TERRA's in my future... .....Jim

Hi everyone. My initial comment about Kontakt as compared to GS3 is that, for whatever reason, Kontakt runs smoother on my system. Gigastudio seems to be a CPU pig or else just really finicky with my system. And since I upgraded to 3.4, my bloody instrument branching tree is non-existent. I've set all the setting rights and still no ability to select a particular patch from the group. What a pain in the butt!

I just loaded in some VGL sounds into Kontakt this evening- the 16 bit samples, not thr 24 bit which aren't read incidently- and I found them to be very warm and playable. I can actually load Giga up at the same time. Perhaps I'll do an A/B comparison.

Something that kind of disarmed me this evening was how beautiful the VSL strings are. If one sustains them, the vibrato kicks in and it sounds really amazing. Full and realistic. I'm so picky when it comes to strings and my main beef with much of the libraries I've heard or in fact own is that they have a synthy sustain. I must say, the VSL sounds don't. They sound as real as if I were sitting amidst a string orchestra. These kinds of things are seriously making me consider buying Opus 1....somehow. Now to get the mulla for it!

Oh, yes, I've heard VSL sounds through Gigapulse. completely awesome. What's not so awesome is how dramatically my CPU usage goes up when I activate the gigapulse.

Go Back to forum