• Register
  • Help

Topic: If I get GS3, does everything have to be 24 bit?

Share/Bookmark

If I get GS3, does everything have to be 24 bit?

Hi there, I'm still considering upgrading to GS3... I have a Delta 44 card, and when I look at the latest drivers for, it says "must use gs3 in 24 bit depth... So now, does this mean "audio driver bit depth" or "file bit depth"?? In Sonar, you can have 24 bit file bit depth, and 16 bit audio driver bit depth... Is this the same for GS3? Or does it mean that you have to have audio driver bit depth in GS3? I really don't want to record in 24 bit if I don't have to... It's great for vocals and guitar, but not for soft synths, not much difference... Anyway, any info appreciated, thanks...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: If I get GS3, does everything have to be 24 bit?

You can record, capture, etc., at any bit-depth--as well as use any bit-depth or sample rate of libraries. This specification, I believe, is simply how the software and card interact. The engine itself is always functioning in 32-bit float, until it talks to hardware or affixes the output.

You'd be surprised, though, how much difference a 24-bit capture can make on some things. If they're delicate and spend much time in the lower volume ranges, you can really hear a difference. If you want to save the space, you can always capture in 24-bit, use a nice brickwall-limiter to push up the range, then use a good quantizer/shaper to do the conversion back to 16-bit. That will get you a better 16-bit file than recording natively in 16-bit, if you're getting into the ranges where you start to lose detail and take on grain.

Thanks for your reply Bruce, I appreciate it.. When I finally upgrade, I'll try some of this stuff... There's alway sso much to try with these apps...

Bruce is spot on. I've got an Audiophile 192, and it uses the Delta driver as well. The hardware config window in Giga only offers 24-bits in the pull down. With my MIA I had 16, 24 and 32 as options. (From memory - I might be wrong.)

The 24-bits is just for the interface to the sound card. I use 16-bit samples regularly, and, as Bruce mentioned, the internal processing of GS3 is 32-bit float.

The combination of the AP192 (Analog outs) and Giga has been solid, though a couple of us have recently discovered that the GSIF driver for the S/PDIF output seems to be broken in the latest Delta driver for the AP192 card. I can configure Giga to see the outputs, and I can capture to wave using those outputs, but no signal makes it out of the S/PDIF out. The S/PDIF out works fine from Sonar, so the hardware is fine.

-JF

Hey Jon, thanks for the head's up on the S/PDIF output being broken...

Go Back to forum