• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: OT - Did Jan Kaczmarek really deserved???

Share/Bookmark

Angry OT - Did Jan Kaczmarek really deserved???

I was listening today "Finding Neverland" soundtrack and I am so disappointed... Jan Kaczmarek´s soundtrack does not match by any means John Williams "Harry Potter and the Prisioner of Azkaban"!!! I don´t mean it is a bad soundtrack, but there is simply no comparison between the complexity and beauty of the two works!
    I don´t know, but listening to "Harry Potter" is a complete experience, each track is so detailed and colored that the music tells the entire story. Pick "The Nightbus" and "Buckbeaks Flight" as an example. They are so different, they tell different stories, yet they fit perfectly in the same sound track. There is no obvious repetition of instruments and ideas in "Harry Potter", but "Finding Neverland" is all about repetition!! To begin with, half of the tracks are in the same tone, with basic variations over the same theme. The track 06 is a never-ending piano impromptu over absolutely no musical content! For me, this track sounds even a bit offensive to my ears, because my main instrument is piano and I know how to recognize a fake when I hear one. Basic harmonies. Basic arrangements. Repetiton until death. Is that how a oscar winner soundtrack should sound like???
    I heard "The Passion of the Christ" and "The Village" as well as "Harry Potter and the Prisioner of Askaban" and "Lemony Snickets", and think that any of them deserved to have won instead of "Finding Neverland".
    It´s enough... I fell like I am kicking a dead dog!

Re: OT - Did Jan Kaczmarek really deserved???

It was a incredible surprise for me too!

Well, in some places they whip a dead horse... anyway, it all depends who's voting... I find that if the majority of people voting in an event such as this are non-musical, they're going to latch onto the "simpler" music as opposed to the more complex, or more detailed score... Now I haven't heard the whole score, so I really have no idea what it sounds compared to harry and village, which I've heard and thought were great... But that's my opinion as to why that score might have won... Another thing ot bear in mind is that sometimes simpler doesn't necessarily mean bad... I've heard a couple of tracks, and it sounds charming, and maybe that's what the voters latched onto...

Giacchino's Incredibles score was my favorite from last year.
    And he didn't even receive a nomination....bummer.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Sometimes the best music for a film is not the most complex. Oftentimes.

And repetition is extremely powerful in the right setting. Simplicity is powerful in the right setting.

I don't have an opinion about who should have "won."

But what I think...what I KNOW, is that there are intangible reasons a particular piece of music, or score, will touch people's hearts. These things have nothing to do with complexity, expertise, chops, skill, or any of the things that we musicians might tend to focus upon in making our own judgements.

In fact, we are often the most blinded observers when it comes to this...blinded by our own very necessary inner "judgementalism."

Quote Originally Posted by Guga Bernardo
    I was listening today "Finding Neverland" soundtrack and I am so disappointed...!

You actually think The Oscars actually mean anything these days Guga?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    .. there are intangible reasons a particular piece of music, or score, will touch people's hearts. These things have nothing to do with complexity, expertise, chops, skill, or any of the things that we musicians might tend to focus upon in making our own judgements.

In fact, we are often the most blinded observers when it comes to this...blinded by our own very necessary inner "judgementalism."
    Good point. Very very true. Our ambitions is often much more detailed and specific than how a consumer perceives the music.

I was told a story about Kevin kostner, when he did "The post man". I think Michael Camen scored that, not sure. I'm told that Kostner heard the score for the first time at the recording session only. And when the composer wanted to hear his opinion Kostner said "Sometimes I think those yellow ones up there plays a little too much" (pointing to the back of the orchestra).
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    Good point. Very very true. Our ambitions is often much more detailed and specific than how a consumer perceives the music.

I was told a story about Kevin kostner, when he did "The post man". I think Michael Camen scored that, not sure. I'm told that Kostner heard the score for the first time at the recording session only. And when the composer wanted to hear his opinion Kostner said "Sometimes I think those yellow ones up there plays a little too much" (pointing to the back of the orchestra).
    That quote is from Dances With Wolves. John Barry provided the music.
    The Postman was scored by James Newton Howard.
    Michael Kamen scored Costner's Open Range. One of his last but most beautiful scores before his passing.

When I saw the movie before the Academy Award Show, I didn't know the composer, and I didn't know that the music was a nominee.

My reaction was that the music was pushing an overly sentimental movie over the top, to make it almost unbearable to watch. I was really surprised that it won. But it's Hollywood...not the Nobel Prize...

Just my 2 cents.

Hans Adamson

A friend brought the dvd of Harry Potter by a few weeks ago, and from what little of the score I could hear poking in from behind the exagerated sound effects, I was impressed - this may be Williams' best work of recent years.

A shame that it seems that the sound effects person is the one who gets to make the final audio mix in most films, thus highlighting his own contribution at the expense of music - and even the dialogue in many cases!

My fellow composers, the time has come to be the "complete audio guy" in film (the way it usually is in video games) so you can ensure that the mix is properly balanced - who else but a compose could do this properly?

P.S.
    Have not seen/heard Neverland yet, and was thoroughly disappointed with the Passion of the Christ score - it had a few moments, but most of it was a pretty sorry affair.... they should include a sound clip in multimedia dictionairies beside the words "cliched" and "derivative".
    Wow. That was harsh.

Go Back to forum