• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigapulse and cpu

Share/Bookmark

Gigapulse and cpu

I tried gigapulse first time today. One instance is using 13%. Fine.

My problem/question:

I load a sound in port one and try out gigapulse, sounds great.
    I load another sound in channel 2 and expect to hear the same effect and it's completly dry. I had to load another impulse.

I thought it would work like an outboard effect whereby you just choose the amount you want on each channel given that of course it's the same reverb program on both.
    I certainly don't need two reverbs to use the same hall reverb on two channels in the outboard world.

What do I not understand about giga ?

Adriann

Re: Gigapulse and cpu

Quote Originally Posted by Adriann
    I tried gigapulse first time today. One instance is using 13%. Fine.

My problem/question:

I load a sound in port one and try out gigapulse, sounds great.
    I load another sound in channel 2 and expect to hear the same effect and it's completly dry. I had to load another impulse.

I thought it would work like an outboard effect whereby you just choose the amount you want on each channel given that of course it's the same reverb program on both.
    I certainly don't need two reverbs to use the same hall reverb on two channels in the outboard world.

What do I not understand about giga ?

Adriann
    Adriann,

Try loading GigaPulse on one of the Aux Return channels... Then use the Aux Send on each of the channels to send their signal to GigaPulse...

If this doens't make any sense to you, there is a complete explanation of how to do this in the "Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums" manual ( which is free to download )

Look for the section "How to use the Larry Seyer Reverb"... it will walk you through the steps on how to do this.

Here is the manual:

http://www.larryseyer.com/lsl

Click on the "View the Manual" link... (or you can right click and choose "Save Target As" to save it on to your hard drive )

Best to you!

Larry Seyer
    http://www.larryseyer.com
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Larry Seyer's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Thanks Larry !

I will do exactly as you recommend. My weakness is understanding standard mixer stuff like aux sends and returns and hopefully this will really help .

Thanks for the thoughtful and quick reply .
    Adriann

Larry

Hats off to you. Your 'walk through' is brilliant . I could have spent ages reading and trying to figure all this out. What matters to me and many others I'm sure is just getting what you need in a simple and straightforward way. The pictures you include as a 'just in case you click on the wrong thing' are a great help.

Now I have a question you may be able to help with as well.

My hope is to record or 'print' all the tracks from giga into Cubase SX as audio tracks on pc 1 . Is there a way then that the giga pc ( pc2) could be used as a convolution reverb in mixdowns on pc 1 ?

Is it thru the use of rewire ? or something else? or simply not possible.

I know Gigapulse is coming out as a vst plugin but even so I would need to use the giga pc via cubase system link for the plugin to lighten the cpu load on pc 1 . In that way pc2 would be a dedicated convolution pc during mixdown.

Can you shed any light on this? I can read and read but I do best with just 'yes or no ' and 'here's exactly what to do '

Thanks for any additional help.
    Adriann

Adriann,

The simplest way to make your second instrument wet is... Go into GS3's MIDI Mixer window, look at the right hand side of the strip, and set the destination to go to input 1/2. That assumes that GigaPulse is setup in the first DPS Input. It's not as flexible as Larry's suggestion, but it's simpler when just getting started.

The next level of complexity is to setup GPulse in a Group, rather than an Input. You can then route your instruments to various DSP Inputs for separate EQ and compression, then route those Inputs to the desired Groups, where GigaPulse sits..

Both of these approaches are best suited for room simulations, where you want everything 100% wet.

For reverb and other processes where you want a mix of wet and dry, the Aux bus is the best approach, as you can adjust the amount of 'verb on each instrument independently. All of the above work, but the Aux approach is the most flexible.

Larry, if I've oversimplified anything here, please let me know...

-JF

Go Back to forum