• Register
  • Help

Topic: need advice on orchestral percussion library

Share/Bookmark

need advice on orchestral percussion library

Hi,

I am a long time lurker and first time poster , I was wondering which orchestral percussion library has that big hans zimmer BD percussion sound?
    I've already tried listen to the demos for ultimate orchestral percussion and wasn't really that impress by the percusson sounds.

thanks for reading!

Re: need advice on orchestral percussion library

Sam True Strike. East/West Platinum and StormDrum come to mind. But, the thing you have to realize about Zimmer drums is that he usually processes toms and snares tweeking his samples in a sampler. I read this in one of his interviews.

So what I've done to experiment is take a tom sample and pitch it down an octave, add LFO and just generally tweek it around for a while. Run it through reverb and compression and sooner or later you start getting that famous Zimmer drum sound.

On the other hand if you layer timp with orchestra bass drum sounds and use good eq and compression, ect, you get a big drum sound too.

Cheers,

Jose

Don't underestimate GigaPulse for at least part of this application. If there's one process that I've heard in my life that can turn wimpy drums into thunder, it's GigaPulse.

-JF

Lenmar,

a good sample library starting template for that zimmer sound is Percussive adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    Sam True Strike. East/West Platinum and StormDrum come to mind.
    What he said

Steve

I agree that Stormdrum and Sam True Strike would be the two best options, but Stormdrum would be your best bet for the "Big Hollywood Sound" that Zimmer is known for, and in most cases you will always find a patch that never needs tweaking to achive the sound you want. If you haven't already, definitely check out these Stormdrum demos http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...tml?sku=EW-162
    Liam
    "The biggest risk of all , is never taking a risk"

I would go for Sam True Strike. After working with it i think it's amazing... just listening to that Gong sample with closed eyes.... you understand how well the whole lib has been recorded.... it delivers you into the hall in 3d in your own home!

I am not sure if you can get "THAT" BD sound out of the box to be honest!
    I actually don't think you can get any "that" sound out of any box...

Everything needs a touch of your own creative imagination and eqing, IRing, reverbing blabla.... because after all... you are searching for what you love.
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

TRUESTRIKE..................................EWQLSO , Stormdrum.
    These three and you will be happy

I also use some sounds from the Roland libraries (in combination with other's). Some of them are good enough to do some of the top-of-the-line libs over a bit.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Go Back to forum