• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Repetition?

Share/Bookmark

VSL Repetition?

I've had VSL First Edition for some time now, and I still don't have a clue how to utilize the repetition tool. At NAMM the VSL guys made it look so easy, but I still can't figure it out. It seems like it would be an extremely useful tool if I could get it down pat. I've heard many others complain that they couldn't figure it out either. Maybe we're just retarded?

Danke in advance.

Re: VSL Repetition?

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    I've had VSL First Edition for some time now, and I still don't have a clue how to utilize the repetition tool. At NAMM the VSL guys made it look so easy, but I still can't figure it out. It seems like it would be an extremely useful tool if I could get it down pat. I've heard many others complain that they couldn't figure it out either. Maybe we're just retarded?

Danke in advance.
    Go to the VSL forum and you will learn lots. I also had trouble making it work, but now I find it incredibly useful and not only for repetitions.

Daryl

They now have a DVD for the Repetition and Legato tools. I think it's $39.95. I haven't watched it yet, but it's probably helpful.

- Mike Greene

I find that tremendously odd that you have to purchase thorough instructions for an already expensive library. Persing had the right idea with his extensive tutorials for RMX - for free. Even Giga 2.5 requires that you buy Govetts tutorial to have a clue how to use the editor, which I still have no idea how to use.

Ha...

Here I thought I was the only one. I don't get it either, Aaron. Maybe I need to spend "another" $40?

I plan to figure it out some day....

Seems like it would save time If I had a clue in Hell how to use it...

KID

I don't own the full VSL enchilada, just Opus 1 and Chamber Strings (so far), but I couldn't get a handle on the performance tool either, so I bought the DVD. It really made a lot of things A LOT clearer for me. I'd highly recommend it.

I will say though, that for those of us who have purchased the VSL products, 40 bucks seems a little steep. If registered owners could have bought it for 20 bucks, I wouldn't really complain at all.

And if you did buy the full VSL, my feeling is that you should get it free...

Hey Aaron. I initally thought this tool was more complext than it actually is. The main thing you have to do is load up the right patch tempo wise. I'm not sure about the first edition, but the pro has enough tempos covered for just about anything. If you don't match the tempo threshold of a particular patch it won't work right, but they are very flexible. Basically you can't play slower than the tempo specified because another rep sample will trigger. You can play faster, however.

The other thing to do is make sure you have the right samples activated in the style display to match the rhythym and tempo you are playing. The style/matrix display inside the tool lets you select which rep. samples you want to use. Unless there is really complex phrasing in your melody you can probably just use the first row of the matrix and not worry about key switching to a different row. In the style display there up to 9 different rep. sample variations to choose from. Some of them have different numbers of reps. To get the hang of it, hold down a note until the reps trigger fully. With each subsequent key the style display will move over one box to the right. Set the samples you want to use to "1" the style display and others to "0".

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    I find that tremendously odd that you have to purchase thorough instructions for an already expensive library. Persing had the right idea with his extensive tutorials for RMX - for free.
    There is written documentation on how to set up the Performance Tool that include screen shots. I assume creation of the DVD tutorials was based on requests from the "TV generation" that prefers video over text.

Regarding Stylus RMX, given Spectrasonics are still working to complete the written documentation, I suspect creation of the videos may have been done (at least in part) out of expediency, in order for them to achieve their promised delivery date.

The other "issue" with tutorials has to do with the cost of distribution in terms of when the materials were created (i.e. whether they have to spend money to ship them out later or whether they are included in the original box).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    I don't own the full VSL enchilada, just Opus 1 and Chamber Strings (so far).... I will say though, that for those of us who have purchased the VSL products, 40 bucks seems a little steep. If registered owners could have bought it for 20 bucks, I wouldn't really complain at all.

And if you did buy the full VSL, my feeling is that you should get it free...
    I look at it slightly differently. If I spent $1000 on a library, paying an additional $40 would be nothing.

I would agree that, now the video has been created, it would be nice if VSL bundled it in with their large libraries (they might have started this already).

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    There is written documentation on how to set up the Performance Tool that include screen shots. I assume creation of the DVD tutorials was based on requests from the "TV generation" that prefers video over text.

Regarding Stylus RMX, given Spectrasonics are still working to complete the written documentation, I suspect creation of the videos may have been done (at least in part) out of expediency, in order for them to achieve their promissed delivery date.

The other "issue" with tutorials has to do with the cost of distribution in terms of when the materials were created (i.e. whether they have to spend money to ship them out later or whether they are included in the original box).

And then he said:

I look at it slightly differently. If I spent $1000 on a library, paying an additional $40 would be nothing.

I would agree that, now the video has been created, it would be nice if VSL bundled it in with their large libraries (they might have started this already).
    I'll ditto all of that. The DVD tutorial was well over a year after VSL was released, so it's a separate package and as Martin said, after I spent 3 grand on VSL, another $40 won't kill me. Their printed manuals are free, by the way, although it was months after I bought VSL before the manuals finally came out. Back then, we all had to download preliminary versions off their site.

I really like the RMX video tutorials, but again, as Martin said, they still don't have printed manuals (not that we really need them.) And a CD of quicktime videos is a whole lot cheaper than printed manuals, both in creation and distribution.

- Mike Greene

Go Back to forum