"I'm absolutely furious they would be so negligent with the private records of so many people," says Sen. Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record), D-Vt., whose personal information was lost. Leahy is calling for tighter regulation of data brokers. The Senate could hold hearings this month."

This is an exerpt from leahy... It seems it takes someone important to be victimized, before anyone will do anything...Lol my daughter is 6 years old, and according to her social security number, She makes about 40K a year... The FTC now handles these cases, which, the FTC in my eyes is the only entity within the government that works... We've been fighting this for 4 or 5 years now... The FTC says you have to file a police report before anything can be done... While I was waiting in the police station for a guy to come out and reluctantly take my report, a guy walks in saying the same thing, Only, In a nutshell, 12 people were using his social security number, and if he could prove he's been fighting it for 5 years or more, he could get his SSN changedm but all his accrued credit would be lost, well, he also applied to have his info sent to him so he could examine it, and is now being attacked by the local attorney, that he has commited a crime because the other 12 peoples info, was sent to him, and he didn't have privy to it... So now he's under prosecution, it's unbelievable.... So then the cop proceeds to tell me, "You know, these cases don't go very far"... Why am I writing this? Cause I am pissed!!!... Anyways, I feel better now... Sorry...I guess Im POed, because I have this guys name, where he works, and where he lives, and they can't do a thing about it because were in line of the the tune of about 1 million others...