• Register
  • Help

Topic: Intel Proposes the PC Mini

Share/Bookmark

Intel Proposes the PC Mini

It seems that the PC folks are trying to get into the act. With an very similar small shape and design, Intel's concept Mini PC features all the sleekness of the Mac Mini and most likely more horsepower. According to one article, this proposed PC is aimed squarely at Apple.

Re: Intel Announces the PC Mini

What intel was "showing off" was a concept design... just an empty plastic box, as a way to "encourage" companies to develop components small enough to actually fit inside it.
    Intel also specifically said that it has no plans to actually build the box you see pictured (intel does not build PC's, just components).

Something like that will most certainly will have more horsepower than the Mini, because it will be another 2 years before anything looking like it actually ships.

Imagine stacking about 5 of those on top of each other in a cluster for your digital audio workstation.

Intel also showed off some interesting new colorful designs immediately after the original iMac was introduced a few years ago, and nothing like it ever saw production either:

http://www.phil-frank.com/pgaztec.html

It's kind of neat looking, though nobody at the time could have predicted that PC computers were going to gravitate toward neon lights and glowing fans instead!

Re: Intel Proposes the PC Mini

It's not quite that small, but I built my own little machine as a portable DAW last month:

Without the full-size DVD±RW and the Delta 1010LT in there, I could have gotten it into a much smaller enclosure (the motherboard only measures 17cm×17cm, and the laptop drive takes up almost no room at all).
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Thumbs up Re: Intel Proposes the PC Mini

Impressive, Godfrey/Jeff. If you had FireWire you could also use an outboard box (like the FireWire 410) and with a smaller optical drive (like one from a portable which I think I've seen offered as OEM), you could almost be to that form factor.

Where do you find a motherboard that small?

Now all you need is that display that looks like a headset for extreme portability!

Cool!

KevinKauai

Talking Re: Intel Proposes the PC Mini

As a matter of fact, it does have FireWire -- the motherboard comes with onboard audio (the ports can be set up as either Mic/Line/Out or 5.1 surround); video (VGA-style out, S-Video out and an RCA connector which can be either video or SPDIF out); two FireWire ports; four USB 2.0 ports; 10/100 Ethernet; two EIDE connectors; 9-pin serial; 25-pin parallel; a floppy connector and one PCI slot.

I got it from here.

I'd like to find a little LCD panel I can stick into another ammo box I've got that's half the width of that one, but most of the time my little toy is hooked up to my TV -- when I'm not using it as a DAW, it's making itself useful as a PVR (like a TiVo, but without the monthly subscription fees). That's actually the reason I put the DVD drive on -- so I can burn the shows I'd like to keep.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Intel could put their Prescott Core and it could double as a coffee warmer or pancake griddle.

Nice use of ammo box -

"Make PC's Not War !!"

Wink Re: Intel Proposes the PC Mini

Nah! Sorry to burst the bubble, but Both Apple and now Intel have simply borrowed the idea that was firstly revealed back in 2002 at SilentPCReview.com:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Sectio...-artid-42.html

Cheers,

ck

Quote Originally Posted by c.k
    Nah! Sorry to burst the bubble, but Both Apple and now Intel have simply borrowed the idea that was firstly revealed back in 2002 at SilentPCReview.com:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/Sectio...-artid-42.htmlck
    I've always preferred THIS one!

It even has a carrying handle!

"AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Go Back to forum