• Register
  • Help

Topic: A New "Toccata"

Share/Bookmark

Wink A New "Toccata"

A few folks on this Forum heard a “preview” version of piece - - “Toccata for Orchestra” - - during the Sunday chat session and several made very helpful suggestions. Since then, I’ve had a chance to apply some of the observations that folks there made and others who were shown the piece privately.

Here it is in dial-up-friendly LoFi and 160K HiFi. I think the piece has some of my most ambitious orchestration yet. There is a simple 12-bar theme (initially shown off with one of the “duo” pianos). This “A” theme is tossed around in 3 different keys (Db, F and A), getting treatment from a string section, then woodwinds, then brass. At 2:48, two bars of 12/8 section heralds some changes and then the “A” theme is reprocessed into 5/8 (at 2:52) and ends with a percussion “comment” and drops back into two final reiterations of the “A” theme (at 3:19), winding up in a flourish.

The instrumentation is GPO and “other”. The other principal accomplishment with this piece was using Voxengo’s “Elephant” limiter VST, which I purchased at their online site for $69.95 (after trying the “demo” version which drops out about ever 45 seconds). Using the demo version was more than enough for me to see that this little tool is mandatory for the mastering that I’ve been doing in Cubase SX. Not surprising this little wonder is not a completely "magic pill". On my first trial of it with the purchased version, I selected a setting which might be appropriate for a grunge or heavy metal band, but which seemed to leave rather inappropriate "artifacts" in the output file. (I left a post on Voxengo's forum and received a helpful reply from the author under 3 hours -- which has to be some sort of response record! In the meantime, I had retrenched to just use a "default" setting and another helpful buddy suggested that I drop the target dB level from 0dB to -1.5dB, which is the setting in the version you can hear here/)

Unfortunately, now that I like it so much, I will likely go back through all my other existing pieces and re-master them.

thanks for listening (and especially thanks in advance for commenting)

KevinKauai
    Last edited by KevinKauai; 03-03-2005 at 01:26 AM. Reason: (updated links to reflect latest versions)

Re: A New "Toccata"

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    A few folks on this Forum heard a “preview” version of piece - - “Toccata for Orchestra” - - during the Sunday chat session

Here it is in dial-up-friendly LoFi and 160K HiFi. I think the piece has some of my most ambitious orchestration yet. There is a simple 12-bar theme (initially shown off with one of the “duo” pianos). This “A” theme is tossed around in 3 different keys (Db, F and A), getting treatment from a string section, then woodwinds, then brass. At 2:48, two bars of 12/8 section heralds some changes and then the “A” theme is reprocessed into 5/8 (at 2:52) and ends with a percussion “comment” and drops back into two final reiterations of the “A” theme (at 3:19), winding up in a flourish.

KevinKauai
    Kevin,
    I like it very much. You're inspiring. I love the bar progrogression. The music itself reminds me of Phillip Glass. Hope to hear more from you.

Thnx, for sharing,
    Regards
    Gerard

Exclamation Re: A New "Toccata"

!BUMP!

Amongst the various "covers" you'd think that an original piece with a relatively large orchestra might get more than ONE comment.

This is the last piece I'm posting here, so enjoy it, dis it, whatever!

KevinKauai

KevinKauai
    Kevin, This is beautiful. While it has such variety, it maintains its integrity. The melody is wonderful. The orchestration is superb.

Perhaps some don’t comment because they feel that there is nothing to offer in terms of useful, constructive, critique. You also might feel diss’ed if someone just posted “WOW!” and signed their name. But I will say this: I enjoyed listening to this work. I will listen again and again. Thank you for this gift. It is a gift of pleasure to the ear, and a gift of knowledge to the musically challenged (such as myself). Please continue to share your work. Some may be speechless, but I assure you it will not go unheard and unappreciated.

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Thumbs up Re: A New "Toccata"

!BUMP!

Amongst the various "covers" you'd think that an original piece with a relatively large orchestra might get more than ONE comment.

KevinKauai
    I don't think such great work goes by unnoticed. I must admit I'm not able to listen to all samples, nor can I comment on every piece, but I would think with a large number of occupants many listen. Maybe OT maybe not but an indication on how many times a post was read or a link clicked would be a nice thing to have.

For me this post was like finding a musical treasure. I shared the link to some of my musical friends who aren't part of this community (allthough I encourage them to join). I'm looking up one of the responses..... One of my friends found that your music was beautifull and felt hypnothiced (not shure if I spelled this right) by it.
    I also went to your website and ordered a CD with your music. So you have gained a new fan of your music, and I'm shure there will be many more.

Keep on posting please..............

Cheers
    Gerard

As I stated in the chatroom, I really enjoyed this one! Not really the typical Kevin piece, but then again, is there a typical Kevin piece? Thanks for sharing, your orchestration is great!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Hi Kevin

I, for one, listen to ALL your music, however, I feel grossly underqualified to make any kind of comments, let alone suggestions. So, rest assured, none of your pieces goes unnoticed in my house.

Kind Regards

Louis Dekker

Expected to like this more -- have enjoyed many of your works. But this one is too static for me, too slow in immediate pulse and in larger gesture, the texture doesn't vary enough. Just a first impression, for what little it's worth.

Kevin,

I really liked this piece. I love the straight twos against the triplet feel and the 5/8 section is nice. Som many times 5/8 feels disjointed and you have made it flow masterfully. Nice work. I'm further looking into the Voxengo Elephant limiter VST. It does sound wonderful.

Regards,

Tim

Talking Re: A New "Toccata"

!! FINAL BUMP !!

Posted this on AcidPlanet early Sunday morning (6 Mar 05). I used to be almost the only only "classical" person there beside LouisD, but now I've been joined by Falcon, lukpcn and a few others.

It just took over the #1 slot in Classical (for how long no one knows as it's a fairly dynamic list based on reviews and plays).

Thanks to Brian, Sean, Gerard, LouisD, gugliel and tcohen for comments. And to all the rest who listened (I get web stats -- don't be so shy!).

KevinKauai

Click here for the AcidPlanet page

Go Back to forum