• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Silliest Mistake You Ever Made In Your Studio ?

Share/Bookmark

Silliest Mistake You Ever Made In Your Studio ?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Well , I always used other people's studios to record until '04 . I purchased a ton of gear and software and tried to go to work (I had only used Reason up to this point) . I was trying to get sounds out of a VSTi for days . DAYS I TELL YOU .... I called tech support from Steinberg and Emu a few times and spent 8+ hours a day , the last day I fooled with it I was in there 12+ .

I was so frustrated - I redid and undid the "getting started" exercises what seemed 1 million times .... Tech support said "Oh , it is you again" . I was laying on the floor at one point having a panic attack . The Mrs. was very worried .

Finally I gave up and pulled up an old Reason project just to make some music and the highlighted track was playing a couple of octaves to low !! My darn MIDI controller was in the wrong octave !!! I wasted days of my life cuz of some darn button I did not know existed .

Things have been going great since

Re: Silliest Mistake You Ever Made In Your Studio ?

A guy spent a whole day doing a bass track and I accidentally recorded over it and he had to come back and spend another day. That was in the ADAT days- no undo button

I recorded my garage band years ago on a 15 fps reel to reel two track. Later I digitized it, so I could put it on CD for the band mates and friends. I just did it raw, with no processing at all. Later I decided to try some processing to improve the quality. After a closer listen, I realized that the two channels were out of phase. Duh!

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I recorded my garage band years ago on a 15 fps reel to reel two track. Later I digitized it, so I could put it on CD for the band mates and friends. I just did it raw, with no processing at all. Later I decided to try some processing to improve the quality. After a closer listen, I realized that the two channels were out of phase. Duh!

-JF
    Dude, you have GOT to have done worse than that at some point.

Forgot to leave space for the click track. Beginning of tune was, shall we say, a little off....2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Biggest mistake for me was hiring 2112 as my engineer - read above!
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Forgot to leave space for the click track. Beginning of tune was, shall we say, a little off....2112
    Done that too.

I was drinking Jack Daniels and writing a wedding march... I woke up next to my computer the next morning and my dog was naked. It gets cold and lonely here.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Dude, you have GOT to have done worse than that at some point.
    Probably. But I had recorded it back in '84 or so, and digitized it about 15 years later. You'd think that sometime during those 15 years I would have figured out that the phase was messed up.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember more clearly what I did to figure out the phase problem: I rendered it to a mono mp3 to send to one of my band mates, and the vocals nearly disappeared. Even then, I spent a while trying to figure out what was wrong with the codec!

I know I've done worse, but I felt really small finding that problem after listening to it so many times from cassettes and the reel-to-reel over the years.

-jf

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    I've NEVER made a mistake!

But a friend of mine made a whopper. He was finishing up a big project for a client back in the 8-track reel-to-reel days. Before the mixing session, he decided to clean up the studio, vacuuming the carpet.

The tape box had been on the floor, and --- any guesses? --- The electric motor in the vacuum cleaner had demagnetized the tape.

His client wasn't very happy.

Ern
    I wont even discuss my tape days. Man, thank god for Digital!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast