• Register
  • Help

Topic: How much variation to use?

Share/Bookmark

How much variation to use?

I'm just trying to get an idea how much variation (both Var1 and Var2) everyone uses for brass and woodwind instruments to avhieve more realistic results.

Thanks,

Aric

Re: How much variation to use?

Quote Originally Posted by nitrox32
    I'm just trying to get an idea how much variation (both Var1 and Var2) everyone uses for brass and woodwind instruments to avhieve more realistic results.

Thanks,

Aric
    Aric,
    The consensus is that we should not pre-set var 1 and var 2. The general advice is to apply it sparingly to (for example) rapid passages such as triple-tonguing brass, in order to avoid the tell-tale evenness which marks MIDI.

Since I am a brass player myself, and a contrarian by nature, I do pre-set about 1-3% of each when I do a brass ensemble piece, then bump it up in situations such as the above...unless I am trying to emulate Steven Mead, in which case everything is perfect in pitch, timbre, and time.

I'd defy the conventional wisdom in the case of a brass ensemble, given the homogeneity of the sound.

Regards...Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: How much variation to use?

Aric,
    I usually put a bit more on the timbreal change than the pitch change. I was experimenting and found out that with the pitch change, all instruments change pitch in the same manner at the same time. So if the pitch change happens to go down, everybody goes down a certain degree. So I leave that one to about 5%.
    But I really like the timbreal change. I can't tell if everything gets bright, mellow, and dark the same way with that one, so I keep it around 15%.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

Go Back to forum