• Register
  • Help

Topic: Why Do You Come to Off Topic???

Share/Bookmark

Why Do You Come to Off Topic???

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I am interested in knowing why people come to the Off Topic section, instead of learning more in the music section. I'll start....
    I like it because it gives me a break when I am working a long overnight, or just for fun......oh, and because Ern is here. By the way, I miss Brady. Where is he?
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Re: Why Do You Come to Off Topic???

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    I am interested in knowing why people come to the Off Topic section, instead of learning more in the music section. I'll start....
    I like it because it gives me a break when I am working a long overnight, or just for fun......oh, and because Ern is here. By the way, I miss Brady. Where is he?
    Usually it's to re-enforce my belief in the utter hopelessness and uselessness of humanity. I bet I could start a flame war here about whether 2+2=4.

Talking Re: Why Do You Come to Off Topic???

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    I bet I could start a flame war here about whether 2+2=4.
    Nonsense Fred! 2+2 does not necessarily equate to 4 in all parts of the universe. This is only true if the laws of physics apply everywhere…even then, you are opening up a can of worms there guy!

I miss Brady too. Maybe he stopped coming because he got tired of being pummeled by everyone here (although I have always admired the guy for being so intelligent and articulate and able to defend himself quite well). (And he’s a great guy).

I come here to vent, play, and have a little release.

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    I miss Brady too. Maybe he stopped coming because he got tired of being pummeled by everyone here (although I have always admired the guy for being so intelligent and articulate and able to defend himself quite well). (And he’s a great guy).
    Yes, he is one of my favourite characters without any doubt. I don't think he realises how much FUN he is actually. Brilliant bloke. So people may not agree with all those (and there are many) views. Big Deal!

He sent me a PM ages ago, and due to my TOTAL and utter incompetence when it comes to computers, I unsucessfully tried to PM back - which is still a source of guilt. Pretty good musician too.

I come here largely for the political debate. With world affairs being so dominated by American actions at the moment, it's interesting and useful for those of us in other countries to see the perspective of those (from all shades of the political spectrum) who are actually there at "Ground Zero". I think a lot of things I've read here have made my impression of America and Americans more rounded and realistic, whereas before it was probably very bound by stereotypes.

And of course I love a good argument

I'm kind of glad Brady's gone though. Not because of any adverse reaction to the man himself, but because of the innumerable hours I used to waste arguing with him!

I find that it's a great way to let off steam. If I'm frustrated about something in politics, I can hash it out.

It's more than that though. On very few occasions I've checked out political forums, but I found them to be like mosh pits. Too much noise. The traffic level here is more tolerable. People are intelligent and respectful - they're musicians!

I found it frustrating around the start if the Iraq war. In many venues we were told to keep our opinions to ourselves. Threads about music might include an antiwar comment, only to get people saying they should shutup.

With off thread, I know that I can post something more controversial here, and keep the music posts pure. If Wes37 or Brady or whoever posts in the main sections about music or music technology, I can respond totally on-topic, knowing that we can hash out the politics on this side of the fence.

Now, after the Iraq war is a done deal (can't turn back the clock), and the 2004 election is over, it's more like a break at the water cooler.

All work and no play, you know...

-JF

Because arguing about politics and religion is much more interesting.

(But I read other sections too.)

I come for the ladies .

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    To try to talk some sense into guys like you...
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Go Back to forum