• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Suggestions wanted

Share/Bookmark

Suggestions wanted

This Sunday I'm going to Stockholm sample a grand piano from a Japanese company that starts with a "Yam" and ends with a "ha".
    The name on the model sounds a bit like "See Heaven".......

Ok, can you guess the model?

This means that I'll be offline until end of next week, so if someone’s has any questions to me on the forum, I won't be able to answer them until, say, Thursday.

This piano has, for this session, been serviced by one of Sweden’s top technicians and should be in a very good condition. The usual SampleTekk stuff:
    16 velocities pedal up, 16 pedal down and 16 releasesamples. Impulses for Gigapulse and other convoluting reverbs and a couple of new ideas that will take this sampled grand piano a step further......
    At least 2 perspectives, close and a bit more ambient. This will be a pop/rock/jazz grand!

So, if you have any suggestions, tips or requests, this is the time to speak up!
    I'm all ears, (just look at my avatar....)
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: Suggestions wanted

Remember to pack your furry boots and helmet, we got alot of snow and ice here this week

Good luck

EDIT: worra is a swedish guy?? jeez .. I made it again. I didnt know
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Per...

1) Turn off all air handlers in the studio, block traffic for a three mile radius, have all non-essential personnel leave, etc. !!!

2) Get a close or medium perspective which does NOT travel across the speakers in stereo like player perspective does. Something pretty and rich, but not which sounds as if the piano is mounted on the wall between the speakers. That would be an extremely valuable pop/jazz sound. Something which could sit very legitimately in a trio setting, and sound like a single monolithic large thing--not a collective of strings.

You might be able to accomplish this with GigaPulse perspectives.

3) Try 414's, and see how it sounds. 414's are usually really good on Yamaha.

4) Get plenty of ppp range. Taking the White Grand as an example, I would have been happy to exchange the three loudest velocities for three more on the bottom/middle.

5) Chromatic?

6) Get all the GigaStudio 3.0 stuff...several pedal up and down harp impulses, enough pedal up/down noises to do a 16-layer round-robin. Put up every good microphone in the joint in different standard piano arrays, roll the piano out from under it, replace it with a speaker, and shoot sweeps/impulses of the whole thing. That should allow you to deconvolve/convolve any perspective to any perspective.

7) A set of soft-pedal (una corda) samples?

Those are some ideas, at any rate.

Good luck with your session.

Tune it. Then tune it again. And again.

But you knew that already.

-JF

Is there is a way to get expressive sampling. I don't know how it works. Do you use a machine to press the keys down?

If so, then it might be good to do a few velocity layers with a trained pianist. This way the human touch will enter in and you'll get an expressive strike of the keys.

Sample chromatically in scale passages an octave at a time. In other words with pedal up have the guy play a real slow scale make sure that the note fully dies in between and have him phrase it as if he's playing a scale.

Can do the same for pedal down even though it will be excruciating for the player. If he's a pro he'll be able to handle it.

Like I said I've never done this before so I don't know if this will work. But, maybe a combination of live with machine strikes will work and give the piano more feel.

Cheers,

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Tune it. Then tune it again. And again.

But you knew that already.

-JF

Then tune it again after that. It is amazing to me how many 'big' libraries out there have samples that are out of tune. You cannot fix that with Autotune. Most of the notes have 3 strings as you know . This is the tuning I am most concerned with. Good luck and post anything you can when you can. I owned a D7 for 10 years and have still not heard a sampled version worth my dollars

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

A set of the middle pedal samples?
    That would be more classical oriented, but you might want to give it a try.

Chris

And... Sostenuto. Why, oh, why don't any samplers implement this? My old Kurzweil PC88 implements it just fine.

If you can figure out how to do a sostenuto plug-in, you will be a piano god (rather than the piano dog. )

-JF

I'll second Bruce's items 2 and 4.

Sounds exciting ! I look forward to hearing the end product. Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson

2) Get a close or medium perspective which does NOT travel across the speakers in stereo like player perspective does. Something pretty and rich, but not which sounds as if the piano is mounted on the wall between the speakers. That would be an extremely valuable pop/jazz sound. Something which could sit very legitimately in a trio setting, and sound like a single monolithic large thing--not a collective of strings.

4) Get plenty of ppp range. Taking the White Grand as an example, I would have been happy to exchange the three loudest velocities for three more on the bottom/middle.

I would have sampled not only note by note but also different harmonics, even though you can't use it technically yet, you may soon.

P.S. Beware of the icebears!

Go Back to forum