• Register
  • Help

Topic: poor man's giga system

Share/Bookmark

poor man's giga system

Let's say you're getting into Gigasampler pianos for the first time, and all you have is 1 ghz and 512 memory (let's assume you've got a 7200 hard drive). What's the LEAST expensive Gigasampler program you would need to run, say, the old 16 bit version of the pmi bos? Let's assume here that the 32 voice Gigasampler isn't really going to cut it.

Do think you could run the old 64 voice gsampler with the pmi bos on a basic machine like the above?

Inquiring for a friend who's thinking of dipping his toes into this stuff.

JG

Re: poor man's giga system

The lighter Giga 3 versions have more voices than that. But if he's buying the Bos, why not just get the NI player version and use it stand-alone?

With the pedal down, you can really eat the poly. It doesn't take much for me to max out my GS3 Orchestra machine, if my right foot falls asleep at the wheel.

That said, I had pretty good results when I was running GS96.

GS3 Solo might be the ticket. If he ever upgrades his machine, he'll be able to run the integrated GigaPulse on the piano as well. The old 64 voice guy could work, but I'd consider the NI solution over that.

-JF

I don't know about the PMI Bos, but Franky from Vintaudio recommends only Gigastudio160 when playing his Giga2 version of C7.
    64 may be cutting it a bit fine when you are using the pedals, release samples etc. It may do providing your friend can't play very fast.
    But surely the non-Orch versions of GS3 are cheap enough to consider?

Edit: Ooops, didn't notice Jon's post! I have basically rephrased everything he said!
    Oh well, great minds think alike!

Quote Originally Posted by meroveus
    I don't know about the PMI Bos, but Franky from Vintaudio recommends only Gigastudio160 when playing his Giga2 version of C7.
    64 may be cutting it a bit fine when you are using the pedals, release samples etc. It may do providing your friend can't play very fast.
    But surely the non-Orch versions of GS3 are cheap enough to consider?
    I'm inferring from the fact that he's confined to his current hardware that GS3 would be, shall we say, "out of the question."

My gigasampler was the 96 voice job. Heavy pedal wasn't possible. pmi NI standalone requires a pretty good system to work well. I don't think the 1 Ghz would do it.

JG

As someone said, it depends on how fast he plays. At 600 MHz with a 7200 rpm sample drive, I can get all 96 voices on the PMI Bos, but the voice-o-meter rarely hits 70 unless I fail to lift the pedal between phrases. Also, the voice stealing is pretty smooth. I'll have to get a lot better, or play different material, before I'll miss the 97th and 98th voices.

I have GS3 Solo. Does it have gigapulse? I don't think so.

But back on topic. Pno is about the only thing I can get on this thing. If I have other instruments that don't sustain it's great. But pno and harp you'll hit max polyphony in no time flat.

As far as CPU I have it on a 1ghz maching and it's not a problem. And I have 1gig of memory and that's just fine. But before when i had it at 512gigs memory, that was just enough to load up the pno, play a few notes and that was about it.

Cheers,

Jose

The least expensive? Well, there are rather low cost sampleplayer softwares around that can natively read gig-files with no problem Speedsoft Vsampler might be an alternative. On a computer with the specs you mentioned, number of vioces should not be of any big concern if your talking about just one instrument - even with a piano.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

P3 1 giga "hurts"!!! Ouch!!! 512 ram
    I can use GS3 without any of the gigapulse stuff at all.
    I can play the gigapiano 2 ok!
    It works stable but I'm dreaming of a new system for my birthday....
    Hopefully.
    Dad's been good!

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    I have GS3 Solo. Does it have gigapulse? I don't think so.
    It has GigaPulse SP, but not GigaPulse Pro.

http://tascamgiga.com/versions.html

In GigaPulse Pro you can apply any impulse to any instrument. You can also create your own impulses.

In the GigaPulse with Solo, you can only use embedded GigaPulse models. For instance, you can use GigaPiano II with its embedded GigaPulse resonance.

Technically, you can use GSIs (stacked instruments) that include GigaPulse models, but you can't use GSP-level GigaPulse (performances that let you apply GigaPulse to multiple instruments).

-JF

Go Back to forum