• Register
  • Help

Topic: RMX Backbeat Xpander Kit mode

Share/Bookmark

RMX Backbeat Xpander Kit mode

Just bought the above and was really looking forward to accessing the sounds in Kit mode.

Is this possible?

Also the Xpander tutorial movie is garbled.

Thanks

M

Re: RMX Backbeat Xpander Kit mode

There is no kit mode with any of the Xpanders.

Kit mode seems distinctly underpowered - fixed no. of sounds per part, no percussion, no Xpanders....

Very disappointed.

Will an upgrade fix be possible?

Kit mode was designed as a simple, alternate way to use the internal core library sound menu add-on drum sounds, where modules can be easily swapped in and out without having to do any remapping of keys like on a traditional sampler. This was added in response to many requests we had for this approach on Classic Stylus, and is very fast for creating custom kits using the Core Library sounds.

Kit mode is definitely not for acoustic, complex multisampled/multi-velocity drums or percussion layouts. That's really outside the focus of what RMX is all about as a product.

RMX is a remix-oriented groove module, with a large selection of sound menus and a drum machine style kit mode (something more like an improved version of Reason's ReDrum module) that's very easy to use for the internal library of electronic-oriented drum sounds.

RMX can also be expanded with new grooves via Groove Control libraries, SAGE Xpanders and REX files. So you can add many kinds of acoustic grooves to work with in RMX that broadens it's versatility a great deal. There's currently not a way to add new kit modules.

Crossing into multi-velocity kits with more complex mapping takes it away from the realm of a Remix-oriented product and into a full-blown drum sampler type of product, so that's not likely in the cards for RMX.

There's a lot to explore with RMX as it is though....have fun :-)

spectrum

Guess that's a no!

Thanks for the explanation Eric.

Just starting to explore RMX...

Quote Originally Posted by Mus
    Also the Xpander tutorial movie is garbled.
    As I understand it, there were some Tutorial CDs that had a bad .mov on them. You can download a correct version at the Stylus RMX User section of Spectrasonics:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/rmxcommunity/

"Disappointed"? You gotta be kidding me. You can still play the groove elements from the controller (keyboard, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    RMX is a remix-oriented groove module, with a large selection of sound menus and a drum machine style kit mode (something more like an improved version of Reason's ReDrum module) that's very easy to use for the internal library of electronic-oriented drum sounds.

spectrum
    Eric, i think you are underestimate RMX

Quote Originally Posted by aplanchard
    You gotta be kidding me
    No.

I bought RMX principally for the sounds and assumed that all of those sounds would be available in a kit.

You can only manually play the sounds that are available in one loop per channel in Slice mode. It's a awkward to spread it across several loops/channels.

Plus I often use Slicy Drummer on one channel in Sonar to get a groove going - this would be awesome if Backbeat or Retro Funk were available in GM Kit mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Mus
    No.

I bought RMX principally for the sounds and assumed that all of those sounds would be available in a kit.

You can only manually play the sounds that are available in one loop per channel in Slice mode. It's a awkward to spread it across several loops/channels.

Plus I often use Slicy Drummer on one channel in Sonar to get a groove going - this would be awesome if Backbeat or Retro Funk were available in GM Kit mode.
    Fair enough.

Go Back to forum