• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Something's bugging me...

Share/Bookmark

Something's bugging me...

Hi everyone, hope all is well! Since I've been without my music computer for months now, I've had a lot of time to think of things. There's something that's bugging me, and I hope that others can let me know what they would do if this situation came upon them.

(this hasn't happened yet, but it COULD happen, so that's why I'm asking...)

I have a particular belief system that I hold in high esteem. I know that with the state that "entertainment" (movies, video games, etc.) is in, a lot of what is out there is contrary to my belief structure. I guess what I'm asking your opinion for is, what happens if I'm approached for a deal, but let's say the script is for something that goes against my beliefs and I know that I'll be uncomfortable with the project, do I take the job anyway, forsaking my beliefs for money and hopefully other projects? Or do I decline on behalf of taking the high road and possibly miss my "break". What would you do? Sorry for rambling, but this question has bugged me for a very long time. Thanks for your help!

Re: Something's bugging me...

That's a tough decision!

Let your conscience be your guide! If your belief is strong, then I would think declining would be the best. Otherwise, you might be uncomfortable about your work for a long time, and how your work is dedicated to accompanying something you think is wrong. However, it still won't be an easy decision, because you'll probably have to give up a lot of money. However, you could make money doing a lot of things that aren't illegal, but you may consider wrong. In the end, I don't think money or fame are the important things, and choices should not be made with those as the ultimate goals.

Good luck, and I hope you never have to face that predicament!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Moral dilemmas, always a hard issue for anyone and I guess it all depends on how strongly you believe in what you believe in.
    But, you're not alone. I am sure most if not all have been tested this way one-way or another. We can be in store for some good conversation here! This is a very good question to post seeing that all of us here will face a decision(s) as this one sooner or later in our lives.
    Styxx

Thank you. I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this problem... There is hope after all. Still tough. I don't know what I'd do...

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Thank you. I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this problem... There is hope after all. Still tough. I don't know what I'd do...
    If it were me...I probably wouldn't take the gig.

However, you could try saying 'yes' to the first situation like this if/when you encounter it. After the gig is all over, honestly reflect on your experience with the project and how you feel.
    Then, you will be better equipped the next time around. Whether you say 'yes' or 'no' to the next project that presents you with a similar problem will be a simple matter of how you draw on your experience. Therefore, you will not likely not be as confused about what to do.
    So, maybe go get your feet wet. You might enjoy the water...or you may need to be resuscitated...but you won't drown.
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Thanks Daag,
    I see your point. There is always counseling afterwards if needed. I wouldn't want to get the reputation as a goody-goody, very hard-to-work-with person either by not taking jobs that aren't that bad. (As things go) Thanks again!

It's a personal decision. I worked on a session years ago. The arranger didn't tell us what the project was. We were just hired to play the charts. It turned out, he was writing this for a "blue" movie. I definately would not have taken the gig if he told me upfront. I never worked for him again. If you lose your morals you have nothing.

Jeff

This post before I go...

I've found in my short lifetime that it is always best to be openminded even when its something you feel strongly about. Personally, I would never let my belief in something hold me back. I never have. My mind is as open as the fields to anything and everything. It keeps a strong creative flow going to always question every convention. In short, if those shoes were on my feet, I would take the project along with any subsequent learnings that came from it. Some folks look at me funny, especially those in my family, about my wishy washy nature, but they don't understand that while I may have this concrete belief, it doesn't hurt it one bit to explore the other side every once it a while. If nothing else, it fortifies my beliefs, since now I have a stick to measure them by.

Understand? Probably not. I'm not sure I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    This post before I go...

I've found in my short lifetime that it is always best to be openminded even when its something you feel strongly about. Personally, I would never let my belief in something hold me back. I never have. My mind is as open as the fields to anything and everything. It keeps a strong creative flow going to always question every convention. In short, if those shoes were on my feet, I would take the project along with any subsequent learnings that came from it. Some folks look at me funny, especially those in my family, about my wishy washy nature, but they don't understand that while I may have this concrete belief, it doesn't hurt it one bit to explore the other side every once it a while. If nothing else, it fortifies my beliefs, since now I have a stick to measure them by.

Understand? Probably not. I'm not sure I do.
    Eh . . . just as long as you're not going to give crime a try . . .

And there's no shame in being a goody-good!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

If you ever plan on having someone important in your life that you'd like to be an influence on (say a child or family), then you don't take it. You can't expect people to live up to standards you don't yourself live by.

By NOT taking such a job, you can be a huge positive influence on the lives of the people who really matter to you. That's got to be worth more than money.

Go Back to forum