• Register
  • Help

Topic: RMX1.2 Multis Not Playing all Elements?!

Share/Bookmark

RMX1.2 Multis Not Playing all Elements?!

Ok, I am calling up the multis in RMX1.2 and not every element is playing...and It is really sticky when going from Slice to Groove menu?

What is up? I trace the elements that are included in the multi and they are for sure not being triggered.

Also, why does RMX come up so hot! I have to set a limiter on my master channel or it is clip city.

Oh yeah, Panther10.3.8 and CubaseSX3.0.1

Re: RMX1.2 Multis Not Playing all Elements?!

I've been playing with the multis as well lately and I thought I noticed the same thing at one time (I've really only used Stylus RMX in Kit mode so far, since I usually prefer to program my own drums, but wow, what kits!). However, I've just gone in now and tried to confirm this with a few multis but I couldn't, so I was probably mistaken (again).

One thing I noticed is that there seems to be a few variations of the Part on channel 1 programmed on the keyboard from C3 up. I think (but I could be wrong) that if you want to play the other channels on the keyboard you have to change to the appropriate MIDI channels on your controller.

I put it down to my own lack of knowledge (as evidenced by this rather useless reply). Stylus RMX is a pretty complex piece of kit, and there are so many different ways to use it that it's easy to get confused as to what should be happening and how you make it happen (well, that's my experience so far anyway).

And, to be honest, I'm too damn lazy to go look for the section in whatever movie it is that covers this -- too much like hard work! Gimme a manual any day :-)

I'm also using OS X 10.3.8 but I'm on DP 4.52.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Kind regards.

Do you have a specific example of a multi which has a part that is not triggering the way you expect?

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Teknoguitar

Ok, I am calling up the multis in RMX1.2 and not every element is playing...and It is really sticky when going from Slice to Groove menu?

What is up? I trace the elements that are included in the multi and they are for sure not being triggered.

Also, why does RMX come up so hot! I have to set a limiter on my master channel or it is clip city.

Oh yeah, Panther10.3.8 and CubaseSX3.0.1

Ok specifics...I guess there is confusion?

Select the Factory Multis then 070-089 then "ESP" the first one. You should be looking at 4 elements. Grime, Run Lola Run Clinker, ReDisco Ring, and Lowly.

So far so good? Select "Groove Menu" and "Trigger Mode Immediate"
    I have the elements starting at middle c.

I wil get the 3 elements that are associated with Grime.
    Starting at (c=Grime a) then (c#=Grime b), then (d=Grime c)

I thought that when you trigger c# it would play the 2nd element of the multi???????...which would be Run Lola Run Clinker.

Are ya with me now?

To map grooves to the keyboard, use groove menus, not multis. See video tutorial #7, Browser - Core Library for instructions.

- Glenn

Cool Re: RMX1.2 Multis Not Playing all Elements?!

So the answer is you can't trigger idividual elements in the multis by midi.

I think that is lame...I mean they call up these really nice suites of elements and you can only run them all at once using slice mode.

The cool thing would be able to trigger each element of a multi, am I on crack or does that make sense?

I know you can add elements to your favorites and trigger them that way, I just don't see the point of being forced to run a multi in a big giant chunk...it spoils the compositional factor.

Oh well, I guess I'm the only one.

Sometimes you want each element to be on a different midi channel. This is most useful when playing a multi-layered groove from tracks in your host sequencer. Sometimes you want each element to be on a different midi key on the same midi channel. This is most useful when playing live.

RMX is quite flexible and you can have it either way (actually, there are other ways to control RMX as well!). Use multis for the former and groove menus for the latter.

- Glenn

BTW....just to add to what Glenn said.

Multi mode in every hardware and software instrument that I've ever seen means MULTITIMBRAL MIDI playback. That's why it's called Multi mode after all ;-)

Compositionally you can easily drag and drop MIDI files for each of the parts in the multi to your host sequencer to create a longer composition. This is one very valid way of working.

If you want to trigger them all in real-time from your controller keyboard on a single MIDI channel, simply open the Browser, and click add to Favorites for each Part and the Jump to the Current Favorites Suite and you'll have all the elements from that Multi available to you playable in real-time in Groove Menu mode.

So you can easily have it both ways in RMX.....not "lame" at all :-)

In fact, using Multis to "build-up" a Groove Menu Favorites suite like this is a great way to work, because you know in advance that the Elements you add to the favorites work together really well musically, since you've already previewed them in Multi Mode.

spectrum

Ok, sorry to be confused.

The original purpose of posting was because I could not get the multi elements to trigger individually while in multi mode...and RMX will not perform that function from the multi area.

And to get that to happen in real time on the fly the elements need to be added to a favorites file and triggered from there.

Got it, thanks for helping great site, nice people...I will amaze you further with stupidity soon.

www.homepage.mac.com/teknoguitar

No such thing as a stupid question :-)

You know...another way that you might like to work is to MIDI Learn the part play buttons. Then you can control the individual parts of a multi from a single channel very quickly by using hardware switches on your controller. It would operate directly and still have all the benefits of the Trigger mode quantizing options like Groove Menus have.

I have a feeling that this would be the ideal solution for you, since it seems like your main goal is to simply load a multi and trigger the individual parts in realtime with no in-between steps. RMX can do this very well by using MIDI learn with the play buttons and solo/mute in the mixer.

have fun! :-)

spectrum

Go Back to forum