• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Check out this cool thing!

Share/Bookmark

Check out this cool thing!

Here's the cool thing. But hurry up, it arrives on March 10.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Re: Check out this cool thing!

I've never looked into Reason--it's intended to be everything in one package, yes? Sequencer, synth, sample player, effects. But are the individual sounds good? (Are the mulitsamples extensive, the sequencer as capabale as a standalone?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    I've never looked into Reason--it's intended to be everything in one package, yes? Sequencer, synth, sample player, effects. But are the individual sounds good? (Are the mulitsamples extensive, the sequencer as capabale as a standalone?)
    Reason is great with nice sounding softsynths and effects.
    The sampler, NNXT is RAM based so you can't cram any 5Gb pianos in it, but it works and play really, really well.
    SampleTekk has made some of the instruments that will go with Reason 3.
    The sequencer is not one of my favourites. I usually run Reason via Rewire through SX
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Thumbs up Re: Check out this cool thing!

Wow, that was a really cool trailer! This is what makes me proud of being a Swede .

Reason is an awesome program for all the "reasons" that have been mentioned.

I use it a lot and clients love it. And I know that John Debney used it a lot in The Passion, and he ain't hurtin'.

The sequencer is not meant to replace a more elaborate pro sequencer. It's main things are the unlimited synths and samplers you can pull up.

I use rewire and I use it as a standalone when my computer can't take it anymore. It's cool because it works with both my mac and pc and requires relatively little processing power.

Also, I can play my old akai libraries on it's sampler.

I wish they would incorporate more cross compatibility and DFD, but as it is I never have to go to any other program for electronic music. Though that RMX is looking pretty tasty.

Cheers,

Jose

Cool Re: Check out this cool thing!

Like Jose said, Reason kicks arse.

The only real problem is the crap-tastically limited sequencer. It's not even very useful for cheesball techno. It would be very nice to do everything from inside Reason, as the coding is ultra-efficient and incredibly stable. Being able to open DX and VST plugs within Reason would also be nice. Most people resort to using Rewire... I've had nothing but trouble with Rewire.

The softsynths are fun, but the included samples aren't the best. The included Orkester Refill only has a couple of decent patches. The "section" brass patches are horrible, and were obviously made by simply overdubbing the same player a few times. The solo brass aren't much better, but some of the winds and a few of the string patches are OK.

The other samples included are pretty much generic rompler factory soundbank quality. There are plenty of drums and so forth but most of them suck. Not a killer snare to be found.

The included loops are useable.

All of the commercially available Refills I've heard were, to be honest, amateur garbage.

If you use your own samples, Reason is a killer app and I reccomend it wholeheartedly.

However, Reason does not include keyswitching or even patch change capabilities! Some pretty weird omissions, considering how flexible the program is otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    Reason is an awesome program for all the "reasons" that have been mentioned.

I use it a lot and clients love it. And I know that John Debney used it a lot in The Passion, and he ain't hurtin'.

The sequencer is not meant to replace a more elaborate pro sequencer. It's main things are the unlimited synths and samplers you can pull up.

I use rewire and I use it as a standalone when my computer can't take it anymore. It's cool because it works with both my mac and pc and requires relatively little processing power.

Also, I can play my old akai libraries on it's sampler.

I wish they would incorporate more cross compatibility and DFD, but as it is I never have to go to any other program for electronic music. Though that RMX is looking pretty tasty.

Cheers,

Jose

Reason,

Gosh I'm so behind-still on version 1.2. But just to add to the love. . .
    I just used REASON for some music I was writing for for a cable show. Had a rex file rewired to my sequencer. Man REASON is so o o o reasonable and easy to program. I'm not one of these 'synths' types, but I programmed reason right out of the box. It won't replace Giga or VSL, but if you need something hip and quick-Reason fits the bill.

Sincerley,

Jonathan

Question Re: Check out this cool thing!

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring

I still don't get it. If your computer reaches max point, won't pulling up Reason still put it over the edge? Is Reason's CPU usage 1% or less? Also, if its sequencer is less than A1 and its samplers incompatible with the major formats (I presume), then, with respect, it doesn't sound like something to get too excited about.

I exactly wouldn't say that it's "kid's stuff", but, to me, it has always felt as if it was aimed at the starter end of the market (and it's big market after all). Then again, I've never used Reason, so what do I know?!

Cheers
    Heath

Quote Originally Posted by Not Dudley Simpson
    I still don't get it. If your computer reaches max point, won't pulling up Reason still put it over the edge? Is Reason's CPU usage 1% or less? Also, if its sequencer is less than A1 and its samplers incompatible with the major formats (I presume), then, with respect, it doesn't sound like something to get too excited about.

I exactly wouldn't say that it's "kid's stuff", but, to me, it has always felt as if it was aimed at the starter end of the market (and it's big market after all). Then again, I've never used Reason, so what do I know?!

Cheers
    Heath
    I have it installed on two computers. 1 mac and one PC. If the job requires very little synth then I can pull it up on the mac using rewire into DP. If it requires a lot of Synth work, I transfer my mac reason files to my PC and use it in the PC. Closing the mac version. That way I don't overload my mac.

It's definately not a kids program. The beauty of Reason really is its versatility. Racks and racks of instruments. Of course the factory sounds are less than perfect but they get you close then I tweek it. Run it through processing and use plugins to mangle them up a bit et viola.

It's the main program in use on the show CSI:Maimi. The composer of that show has it rewired into logic on a mac. So love it or hate it it's making a lot of people some good money.

The synths are really unique sounding in my opinion and easy to add a lot of expression to. The sampler works well for what it's intended to do. It wasn't intended to do ram heavy orchestral instruments. At least, I never use it that way.

I use it. And like it. So do many other pros. I never have to use any other synths. And the synths don't sound all synthy to me which is a sound that I personally don't like. They can sound very organic in a sense.

If i ever can find out how to put up mp3's for others to download I'd give you some samples of the work I've done with it.

Cheers,

Jose

Extremely well done presentation!!!

Go Back to forum