• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using GPO in full Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

Using GPO in full Kontakt

Is there a tutorial (or any guidance) somewhere on how get the most out of GPO in the full version of Kontakt?

For example, in the GPO Kontakt player there is an onscreen mod wheel but I have yet to find the equivalent when I load GPO instances into Kontakt. I know Gary and Tom built a lot of special programing into the GPO player but I hope there is some way to access at least some of the finer GPO features in Kontakt.

I'm using Kontakt in Logic 7.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: Using GPO in full Kontakt

Quote Originally Posted by starriver
    Is there a tutorial (or any guidance) somewhere on how get the most out of GPO in the full version of Kontakt?

For example, in the GPO Kontakt player there is an onscreen mod wheel but I have yet to find the equivalent when I load GPO instances into Kontakt. I know Gary and Tom built a lot of special programing into the GPO player but I hope there is some way to access at least some of the finer GPO features in Kontakt.

I'm using Kontakt in Logic 7.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Good question. I too could use some help with this.

Dang, I know better than to read these posts when I am away from my studio! If I recall correctly there is. Use the Edit button on the contact player after you load a channel. You should see a drop down with mod wheel control and various others. Darn it! I hate being so vague but I am pretty sure you can use it the same as the bundled player with GPO.
    Please, someone correct me if I am off base here.
    Styxx

In a word, no...

There is no way to interface with the controls in Kontakt. You can change the settings, what midi controller is assigned what function, how the keyswitches are assigned, modify the LFO's, change the velocity sensitivity, and so on in Kontakt easily. But turn a virtual mod wheel, no dice.

It is almost as if the Kontakt Player was built especially for GPO.

This becomes a problem when editing in Kontakt because the only way to really test the changes you are making is to actually try it in an example, either sequenced or played in. Another way around this is to use a virtual controller that would interface via either virtual midi input or VSTi with the Kontakt VSTi. Similar to Dashboard/Midi Out controls in FL Studio or Tobybear's CC Controller or the Studioware panel in Sonar.

It would be nice to see some virtual control knobs in Kontakt next go round to audition changes made to the programming.

Thumbs up Re: Using GPO in full Kontakt

OK, yeah you see now I must be thinking of something else you taught me J.B. for using the mod wheel with GOS lite.
    My apologies and thanks for straightening that out for all of us! I have to admit, the man knows his stuff!!
    Styxx

I don’t believe anyone has done a tutorial that specifically addresses the use of GPO instruments in the full version of Kontakt. Especially when you get to editing possibilities it would turn into a rather large book.

Some general info: The engines in GPO and Kontakt are identical. The graphic mod wheel, pitchwheel, and other knobs in the GPO player are of little practical value (you would rarely use them to actually control instruments in the player, except for quick internal testing and monitoring of incoming MIDI data.) I generally ignore them except for an occasional glance to see if controller data I’m sending is arriving properly. In the full version of Kontakt the arrival of MIDI controller data can often be monitored by opening up the instrument edit button and observing the individual modules and their knob assignments. They too graphically respond to incoming data.

The advantages of the full version of Kontakt include the ability to load 16 instruments per instance; the ability to edit all programming for custom uses; and the ability to load libraries in other formats (Akai, Giga, etc.) simultaneously with GPO instruments.

The downside is a certain amount of extra work for the user to get GPO instruments to function as designed. All MIDI controllers, as outlined in the GPO Update documentation, work in Kontakt exactly the same way as with the GPO player – with one exception: Any controller that is set in an instrument’s corresponding text file to a default value other than “0” will not function as designed without the user taking extra steps. “Length” control (cc#21) is the most prominent controller that matches this description. Controller #21 is always set to an intermediate value upon load (about 64). Because of this, the user of the full version of Kontakt needs to place cc#21 data at the beginning of any track using an instrument that includes the cc#21 feature. Otherwise, these instruments will load with a value that is approximately twice as long as intended. There are other instruments (like vibraphone) that assign non-zero default values upon load in the player. These would also need to have data placed in the tracks if the user wishes the instruments to load in the full version of Kontakt with values identical to the GPO player.

Your best source for specific information, as I mentioned above, is the GPO Update documentation. The .pdf gives detailed info on controller assignments for the various instruments.

Tom

Smile Re: Using GPO in full Kontakt

Fascinating topic!

Tom: There have been some discussions that "customized" Keyswitched combinations can be created (by combining the "raw materials" in GPO) by using the full Kontakt. For reasons of RAM efficiency (I'm always running out of it -- even with 2 gig!) this is an attractive notion if, for example, your Celli only need 3 different bowing techniques and pizzicato for a particular piece. (Four articulations as opposed to the 12 that are in the Celli KS patch.)

I've just spent a few minutes on the pre-sales line with Native Instruments to clear up (in my head) the various options one seems to have at this point in time. According to the helpful rep, the upgrade from the "player" version of Kontakt 1 is $229 and available only directly from Native Instruments. In discussing that, he did point out that Kontakt 2 is due to be released around April 1 (unfortunate date, don't you think?) and is guarranteed to be an upgrade in price of $119 to anyone who has purchased Kontakt 1 (full or upgrade) during the period December 1, 2004 to the Kontakt 2 release. Therefore, one could end up with full Kontakt 2 for around $348. (This seems steep, but apparently Kontakt 2 contains a "full load" of useable "content". More complete info on Kontakt 2 HERE.) The upgrades in this case are apparently ONLY through Native Instruments which will preclude "bargain shopping".

CURIOSITY: Other libraries have well-documented techniques for cross-fading between articulation types (for example, from a sharp attack French Horn to a slow-release, sustained French Horn). In most cases, these cross-fade instruments use the Mod Wheel to accomplish the predetermined cross-fae. In addition, at least one library has documented an approach to "roll your own" (which basically uses the two articulations on the same MIDI channel and uses the Mod Wheel to cross-fade between the two). This type of Mod Wheel approach is not supported on the OEM/player-only version of Kontakt which comes with GPO but *is* in the full version.

I guess my obvious question would be the following: If you "wired" two articulations of a GPO voice in this manner, how might you then specify "Modulation" (which is the default, normal use of the Mod Wheel in GPO)? (For example, is there any way to sacrifice the use of the pitch bend for a different purpose?) On a related note: In GPO Advanced, do you anticipate any changes in this Mod Wheel "strategy" which might come into play which might affect this technique?

Thanks, in advance! KevinKauai

By the way, Kontakt2 has a lot of cool new features and much improved interface. One thing in particular I suspect is going to get used heavily by Garritan products is the new scripting engine.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Go Back to forum