• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cameleon 5000

Share/Bookmark

Cameleon 5000

I just finished reading the review in Recording mag for this Camel Audio product and being a big fan of the Kawai K5000 for uniqueness I thought I'd give the demo a try....The review claimed it would give you a different pallette of sounds than you currently have but after downloading the demo and going through the limited number of presets, I personally didn't hear anything from the demo that Absynth and Atmosphere couldn't handle...Now the Korg Legacy collection on the other hand...I don't have anything in my current arsenal that sounds anything like it...It's a shame they won't sell a software only version of it because I really don't want another controller cluttering my work area up...So far it's still top of the list for my next softsynth purchase though....

Re: Cameleon 5000

Quote Originally Posted by Moonmusic
    ...It's a shame they won't sell a software only version of it because I really don't want another controller cluttering my work area up...So far it's still top of the list for my next softsynth purchase though....
    I think you are slightly misinformed. The Korg Legacy Collection is entirely software based. The physical package (the box) also includes a replica MS-20 controller that can be used with the software, but it is not required at all.

The MS-20 controller IS a real controller for the MS-20 portion of the software, but it is not a dongle, nor is it even required to be connected at all.

On the Korg UK website, there is a link to a Future Music magazine review:

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/pro_k.../pk_legacy.asp

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/pro_k...acy/legacy.pdf

P.S. - If you live in the U.S. and buy a Triton Extreme (any size) you get the Legacy Collection product for free:
    http://www.korg.com/gear/pics/Legacy_Coupon.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    I think you are slightly misinformed. The Korg Legacy Collection is entirely software based. The physical package (the box) also includes a replica MS-20 controller that can be used with the software, but it is not required at all.
    The MS-20 controller IS a real controller for the MS-20 portion of the software, but it is not a dongle, nor is it even required to be connected at all.
    Hello Martin!...I guess I should have clarified a little better...I knew the software was a standalone vst....I just wish Korg would seperate the 2 for 2 reasons....

1. I don't want the MS controller and
    2. This would make the collection considerably cheaper

if your wanting something Wavestation like see Xphrase (Wizoosounds.com)
    and something that can compete with Legacy: Reaktor Session

I have Cam5000 and while it does lack some low end power, for my taste, it’s a cool toy. The main thing about it is not the presets (which are cool), but the programming and sound design possibilities. If you don’t have time for that then it’s probably not what you’re looking for.

I also own a real Wavestation A/D. I avoided the Legacy for the same reasons you mention. A cool (and very inexpensive) alternative is the WusikStation (www.wusik.com).It is a Vector Synth with Wave Sequencing. A real beast to add to the mix is the new Ravity 16 (though it is a Subtractive Rompler rather than a Vector Synth). Between these three, I have not turned on my Triton Rack, Wavestation, or XV5080 is quite a long time. Ravity 16 (which is essentially a Ravity X16) is more powerful than any hardware synth. (though you may want to add some of your own .wav files). Imnsho, it is still the case that most hardware synths still "cut" better in a mix.

Regards,

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

The wavestation sounds are really cool and usable but the biggest "wow" factor to me is the legacy sounds...I'm not sure what the demo has because I had the priviledge of trying out the real deal but the legacy stuff is HUGE, it takes wavestation rythmic type looping to a whole new level, the leads are BIG and really cut and the pad type sounds are why I fell in love with the Korg sound in the first place years ago (movement) and the ability to use the effect plugins as stand alone is a great bonus I hope others (like RMX) take note on this option....I will definately check out the others you mention...Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by moosethree
    if your wanting something Wavestation like see Xphrase (Wizoosounds.com)
    and something that can compete with Legacy: Reaktor Session
    Hello moosethree!
    Haven't checked out Xphrase but I just bought Komplete 2 about 2 months ago which has the Reaktor 4? I think included...I admit I haven't messed around with Reaktor much but I wasn't impressed with what I heard of it so far...I should make note though that I haven't downloaded any of the huge library that's on the NI web site yet....Maybe that's what I need to do to see what the hype on it is all about but so far I don't get it....My problem is I buy new stuff without figuring out the full capabilties of what I have first...I did the same thing in the 80s and early 90s except now instead of a cluttered room I have a cluttered PC

I'll agree with Brian. Cameleon is more of a design tool than an out of the box experience. The presets (while nice) aren't half the story. Same with Reaktor. If you aren't into designing your own sounds, then these really aren't for you. I'll second the recommendation for Wusikstation as well. And they've got a great deal still going I believe.

if you want something that is new age like in leads and pads and rythmic sounds
    I recommend Nebula M42...for $50 its a steal....and loads soundfonts.

Hollow Sun is a sample company that has done some extremely well looped
    samples from Korg, Roland and Yamaha FS1R..........$55 each

I like Cameleon and some of the other synths already mentioned, but just to add some more similar possibilities in addition to the excellent choices mentioned so far, Kubik 2 is an incredibly flexible synth that will still be on sale for a few more days at $54 (regular price is $90):

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1223.html

Kubik is a wavetable sequencing synth that also does additive synthesis. I just picked this synth up a week or so ago and it would be a bargain even at the regular price.

Also, White Noise Audio's Doppelmangler is an easy-to-program synth that does resynthesis and is capable of some really unusual sounds. A group buy at KVR is currently going on with the lowest possible price being $75 (regular price is $150):

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/987.html

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73480 (group buy link)

Go Back to forum