• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Discussion: The No-Format Future of Sampling

Share/Bookmark

Discussion: The No-Format Future of Sampling

According to an article in the the Washington Post, the next new music format will be...no format. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Feb12.html
    'What the consumer would buy is a data file, and you could create whatever you need. If you want to make an MP3, you make an MP3. If you want a DVD-Audio surround disc, you make that.'" You may someday go to a record store and have it delevered on a USB key, an iPOD or the store may just burn a physical CD for you.

"The new format is no format," predicts George Petersen,editorial director of Mix Magazine. "What the consumer would buy is a data file, and you could create whatever you need. If you want to make an MP3, you make an MP3. If you want a DVD-Audio surround disc, you make that." "We're moving beyond the media stage to the delivery stage," agrees Mitch Gallagher,editor of EQ

It seems music format is becoming irrelevant and this is having implications in the sample industry. With sample libraries being able to read all the major formats along with virtual instruments not requiring any formats in particular - we may begin to see the same trend with sample libraries.

Do you think the future of sampling will be downloadable content with no particular format as well?

Gary Garritan

Re: Discussion: The No-Format Future of Sampling

I'd like to see it become like a Star Trek replicator, where you say, "Computer... Paganini playing a Strad" and out he pops rippin' up the strings. Someday...
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

This is pretty funny. The data file itself would have a format, or be in one of multiple formats.

I guess you could work with Garth at ChickenSys and come up with a kind of universal data format, er, non-format, that wouldn't play in anything. The translater could then convert the data to any popular sample format.

The upside is that the developers would only need one format, which simplifies replication, inventory and shipping. The downside is that all of the customers would need the translator, and would need to spend their time translating things.

In the end there is no benefit for the customer. There is extra time and labor involved. The customer doesn't care about the developers' inventory issues, unles it's so burdensome that the new prices are significantly better. I doubt that's the case.

The only way I see it working is if you shipped disks with the translator integrated into the installation program. Then it would be transparent to the user, assuming that the translation is about as fast as a normal copy. The consumer would be unaware of the translation, and you would ship the same discs to a variety of customers.

But the cost of the translator, the extra QA for each translation, and the possible compatibility and customer service issues could swamp the savings of the inventory simplification.

I think new sounds and creative possibilities are a better place to put one's resources.

-JF

Hmmm, I could use another floormat...oops, typo. Interesting, just plain interesting.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    This is pretty funny. The data file itself would have a format, or be in one of multiple formats.
    That was my reaction. Any type of binary data stream has to adhere to SOME kind of protocol so it can be decoded. And if the stream has enough data to decode to a DVD-Audio the guy who just wants to make it into an MP3 sure has a lot of useless extra bits to waste. Of course, maybe that's the point- it's so cheap now you buy the maximum amount of data and then decide how to utilize it.

Won't this stifle innovation? I mean, I don't necessarily enjoy having multiple formats for my stuff, but there are advantages to this or that program that uses such and such a format. Just look at Kontakt and Gigastudio. In theory they do the same things, but are very different. I would hate to see a single file format prevent companies from expanding their ideas since they may confined due to the lack of this universal file format supporting a creative and novel way of doing something. Ya know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Won't this stifle innovation? I mean, I don't necessarily enjoy having multiple formats for my stuff, but there are advantages to this or that program that uses such and such a format. Just look at Kontakt and Gigastudio. In theory they do the same things, but are very different. I would hate to see a single file format prevent companies from expanding their ideas since they may confined due to the lack of this universal file format supporting a creative and novel way of doing something. Ya know what I mean?
    Yeah, the whole notion of Universal-anything sort of seems to imply rigidness and lack of choice. Probably lack of innovation as well. Where would a new sonic morphing violin fit in if it was conforming to some universal standard??

Of course, on the other hand there is the Universal Remote which is a great thing. So I really don't know.

(BTW- this post had a spellcheck option!! )

I'm pretty stupid when it comes to this audio technology stuff however if it weren't for universal formats, we wouldn't have such things as dvd's and cd's in the first place. And those do, in ways, stifle innovation. After all, innovation costs money, and who can tell if you can get the money back? You know what I mean? Because maybe I don't know what I'm talking about . . .

Also, there seems to be a notion that people love to be electronic and do things with only the computer. However, eBooks have never gotten popular, despite efforts, and my guess is there will always be people who'd rather go to the store and by a tangible CD than use the computer to download and pay for music. I could be wrong though, after all, listening to a CD isn't much like reading a book.

Lastly, perhaps this disappearance of formats could be compared to 3d game programming. In the days of old, there were many different formats in which the computer could be programmed to display graphics (this is what 3d cards do). This made it harder to program games, and more trouble for the user, who would have to let the program know what the graphics setup should be (like an IBM Tandy ). Microsoft came to the rescue with DirectX, and OpenGL also came about (Glide also came, but they are gone now). These APIs (application programming interfaces) made it possible for the programmer to just program, and the player to just play. DirectX takes care of all the formatting issues (well, not all, there are always problems (like "this game has problems on nVidia cards")). The formats are still there, but the end-users do not have to worry about them.

Okay, maybe I said something intelligent in all that rambling, and maybe I did not.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

The data file itself would have a format
    Hehe, yes it would. Would it be "big-endian" or "little-endian" would it support 24/192 (DVD-A) and if so that would make for very large files for the end user that just want to put music on an mp3 player, would the non-format be 48/512 to support music well into the future?

I think that a universal high def audio format (big-endian 32/192 at a min.) would be good for pro's but I don't think that consumers will settle for "one" format because people like choice.
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

Smile Re: Discussion: The No-Format Future of Sampling

Sean hit the nail on the head, People like to have things they can touch,handle etc.(well I do) mind you in the world of samples I don't think it will stop innovation because that will all be in the programs that use the files, But looking at the history of formats theres probably always going to be rivals Plus I'm looking forward to that new format called vinyl, Do you know It's even in stereo !!!

Go Back to forum