• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Anyone else skipping the Grammys?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone else skipping the Grammys?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I'm skipping the Grammys this year (watching, that is). There's too much Rap for my taste, which brings up something that I thought I'd throw out there for y’all to consider.

A representative from the Recording Academy stated that the reason that there was so much Rap is that Rap is becoming the mainstream popular music genre. Maybe, maybe not. Last I checked, Rap was still being outsold (by a large margin) by both Pop and Country. While the Billboard Top Ten is dominated by Rap, Rap is not dominating in the best selling album category nor anywhere near the top tours.

Rap also has a lot going against it. As a genre, it is more controversial that most other genres, being dominated by profanity, vulgarity, misogyny, etc. The music seems more disposable than other genres, with songs and albums quickly being replaced by more current releases.

Perhaps I am blinded by the fact that I don't "get it", though there are many styles of music that I don't care for that I can still appreciate. Not so with Rap.

I'm wondering if there is a push for Rap by the recording industry? For all it's negatives, Rap is typically less expensive to produce than many other genres and appeals to teens and young people with disposable income.

The other curiosity is that many musicians from other genres are not critical of Rap. Could it be the fear that criticizing Rap would be misconstrued as racism?

My wife and I went to see a performance of The Claremont Trio last night (classical performers) and it made me wonder about the state of the industry. I am at a loss to understand why many great styles of music; classical, jazz, blues, etc are becoming largely ignored over a genre that seems farcical to me.

Perhaps I'm just getting old.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Re: Anyone else skipping the Grammys?

I know Wes - its sad isn't it?

But its been this way forever - the really good music is never the popular music and is largely ignored - the music that becomes popular is the music that is easily to dance to - or can be trimmed to 3 and a half minutes for radio without losing the "feel" of the song.

That's why I prefer the local scene and the music I find from other composers online to that which is found at Target.

PS. I had to minimize my iTunes playing Jay-Z/Linkin Park mash-ups to type this
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Howdy Ern!

I also thought Rap was (is) a fad, but it's been around for 25+ years! I think the industry is addicted to the concept of Rap...low overhead + appeal to kids with disposable income. The problem is that there is a TON of great stuff out there (including stuff I don't care for) that is being overlooked.

I can just see it now...the rap awards will be telecast while the "Best original composition" for classical music will get the "awards already received" treatment.

Wes
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

To be honest, I don't think Ive ever watched the Grammys...

-JF

To understand commercial rap you have to go to a club, they'll play the techno it will be cool, the latin yeah that's hot!...once the hip hop comes on *everybody* hits the dance floor. jeah!!
    -david abraham
    Facebook

Talking Re: Anyone else skipping the Grammys?

yo Ern

when was the last time you sang Machine Gun in the shower lol

I get tired of rap fast, but to some extent I like how it's brought white suburban kids into contact with african american culture and put blacks and whites in the same clubs. I think for some of the kids, listening to it is a statement about accepting that culture as much as it is a matter of liking the music. But, yeah, I get tired of that beat fast.

About the Grammy's: Patty Griffin is up for an award in Folk this year, though for one of her mildest, least complex songs. (I guess they couldn't nominate one of her stronger things, with lyrics like "I wish I loved Jesus\As much as my wife did.")

Who's up in Rock and Classical?

Why isn't this woman up for a grammy?

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/adrianne2

Her CD is brilliant.

The grammys are a popularity contest put on by the RIAA, an exercise in ego masturbation. The contestants and winners are like all the "cool" kids at school who had nothing going for them other than the fact that they were cool... whatever that means.

I'm am truly disgusted by the state of American popular music and can only look to the independent market for relief.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Cool! Rush got snubbed again ...token nomination...those things are a sham and a disgrace.Some good and talented people have won them..but overall, it's Bull.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I don't own a television.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast