• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MIDI Key Editor - Quick help needed...

Share/Bookmark

MIDI Key Editor - Quick help needed...

I'm in Cubase SX and I have a midi track that I am trying to break apart for different articulations - it is for a solo violin.

So I copied the midi track onto a new channel and set that channel as my legato track - I went in and deleted all notes that weren't legato. Now - my question is - the original track has all the notes, attack and legato - is there a way to select both tracks at once and tell Cubase to automatically delete all of the legato notes from my attacks track?

I assumed there would be a "delete overlap" in the key editor and while having both midi tracks selected - that this would solve my problem - but sadly it doesn't.

Any help would be appretiated to make this process a little easier. I would hate to have to go though the entire track and compare the two mid files over and over to delete all the legato notes.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Re: MIDI Key Editor - Quick help needed...

Alan,

This sounds like a good time to do a program change. I use Sonar/Sibelius rather than Cubase, so I can't offer any details, but that's the way that I usually approach it.

I find that program changes work great if things are on one line. And it's easy to audition things this way. The multiple staff/track thing always strikes me as best if you're mousing the notes in manually - in that case you set up your articulations and tracks first, and mouse in the note in the correct track in the first place.

Maybe you'll get a response that sweetens the multi-track approach for me. I'll keep an open mind. But so far, program changes have been my approach.

-JF

Thanks Jon - I have never used program changes before - only multitracks - time to whip out the SX manual - thanks for the suggestion.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Alan,

Cubase has a few conditional delete option under MIDI>Functions.

It can delete notes below a certain length or velocity level. If you can make the legato notes only fit those conditions, you're right to go. So...

Try this (rather kludgy) solution:

1. Copy your legato track

2. Make all the notes in the new legato track longer than they were in the original

3. Make all the notes in the new legato track a lower velocity level than any note you want to keep in the attack track (eg a velocity of 1-5 would probably be fine).

4. Copy the full track and merge it into the new legato track so that you can see both sets of notes in edit mode.) I sometimes drag

5. Select all the notes

6. Right click and choose 'functions'>'Delete Overlaps Mono'
    This makes Cubase try to keep notes of the same pitch sequential, rather than simultaneous. When the doubled notes start at the same clock pitch, Cubase makes the shorter one have a duration of 0 clock pulses. It's still there though.

7. So now all the legato notes in this passage are either (a) very short or (b) very low velocity.

8. Select all notes and choose 'functions>delete notes. Set the conditions so that minimum length is 1 clock pulse, minimum velocity is 1 larger than your loudest legato note (which should be softer than your attack notes!) and tell it to remove when 'one of' is under.

9. This will delete both the short legato notes and the very soft legato notes, leaving you with attack notes only.

Sorry about the kludginess. There's probably a clever way to do this with the logical editor, but I don't see it from here.

Cheers
    Rick

Wink Re: MIDI Key Editor - Quick help needed...

Hey Alan

Here is a very easy way to do it :

1. Open Key Editor of your new legato Track, and select all the notes and then Copy (CTRL + C).
    2. Place the cursor at the beginning of the fist note, and close the Key Editor.
    3. Open Key Editor of your old Track and Paste (CTRL + V) .
    4. Now use the command "Delete Doubles" and you'll now see the Pasted notes underneath and they are still selected.
    5. So now you just have to hit Delete.

Voila!

Ps: You can make a shortcut for placing the cursor at the first selected note.

All the best
    Bo

Hey Bo,

Doesn't that just delete the extra notes you pasted in - not the leagto notes in the original track?

Wink Re: MIDI Key Editor - Quick help needed...

No - it's working fine - try it and see for yourself

And here is is a very very very fast way

If you have the legato track/part, right down under/next to, the old/main track/part - then it all can be done with only ONE Macro.

Make the Macro like this:
    1. Edit - Open Key editor
    2. Edit - Select All
    3. Transport - Locate Selection
    4. Edit - Copy
    5. Edit - Open/Close Editor
    6. Navigate - Up
    7. Edit - Open Key editor
    8. Edit - Paste
    9. MIDI - Delete Doubles
    10. Edit - Delete
    11. Edit - Open/Close Editor

Now make a shortcut for this Macro.

Select the legato track/part and hit the shortcut for the macro - and voila! - faster than you even notice it happen.

I just love Cubase SX 3

All the best
    Bo

Hey Bo

I must be missing something.

If I have two C3 notes which start at the same time and I select them both and do 'delete doubles' it always leaves me with one of the C3s - it doesn't delete them both. In this case how do you remove the legato notes from the track with the legato and attack notes in it?

Hey Rick

yes this is what normaly happens if you have doubles in a track/part - but

Here we are Pasting new notes into an other part ( and in this way making doubles ) - so this is what is doing the trick - the pasted notes keep staying selected.

Try it and you'll see

All the best
    Bo

"Here we are Pasting new notes into an other part ( and in this way making doubles ) - so this is what is doing the trick - the pasted notes keep staying selected."

That's interesting, as they don't stay selected at my end.
    it's as if the pasted notes are 'behind' the originals, and THEY are the ones being deleted - which leaves you with your original set of legato and attack notes (all unselected). I wonder if track order makes a difference to whether original or pasted notes are deleted?

Go Back to forum