• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just got GPO tonight! Impressions, and questions...

Share/Bookmark

Just got GPO tonight! Impressions, and questions...

First of all, what a monumental difference the updates made! Added some new keyswitching and that creative new way of implementing a one-fingered roll on percussion instruments.

Anyway, been playing around with the sounds a bit, and just sequenced a short little 28-bar thingy to get used to the new plugins (I'm using Sonar4 studio edition). Once you figure out the general flow it's pretty easy to make use of all the various string articulations, etc.

Since I'm a percussionist, I did spend a lot of time on the percussion sounds of course. The grand marimba is the best I've heard yet, maybe still lacking a little warmth in the lowest registers but it's very beautiful sounding. A slight hint of noise in the samples though, which might hinder a solo marimba passage.
    Everything else is even more impressive, finally a xylophone sample that captures the sweetness of the real thing rather than just sounding cold and clinky like most.

The splitting of the timpani across the keyboard is also unique, separate halves of the keyboard for right and left sticking, but once you get used to it, it makes a lot of sense and makes it easy to create more intricate timpani passages. Even playing a roll sounds fine that way.

Just a couple of things I noticed though:
    On the "Marimba" patch (not the symphonic grand marimba), the A-440 note sounds dead. In fact, it's exactly the sound that a bar would make when the bar is not seated correctly on the instrument... the note is definitely much more choked sounding than every other note on that instrument. Weird.

The Vibes sound absolutely great. However, the sustaining notes don't cut off when you release the pedal! Ack! All the notes played with the pedal up are stacatto, but any notes you play before releasing the pedal will keep ringing.

All in all this is such a fantastic package. I still can't believe I'm getting all this for the price I paid. I'm loving this so far... and such a relief not to have to depend on dealing with dozens of separate soundfonts anymore.

I also came to the sober realization that I have to upgrade my computer sooner than I thought. I have a gig of memory, and managed to fill it up with remarkable ease. I think I'll need 2 gigs to be really happy. And my poor 2.4GHz Pentium4 is maxing out with about 20 instruments playing at once.
    Athlon64, here I come.

Re: Just got GPO tonight! Impressions, and questions...

Welcome! Always good to have new people joining up and creating music. I can't really comment much the percussion stuff, as I've never really had any complaints (of course I'm not a percussionist...). As for Sonar, I'd say try freezing your instances of GPO to free up some of your memory and CPU, sure is a lot cheaper than upgrading.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    Welcome! Always good to have new people joining up and creating music. I can't really comment much the percussion stuff, as I've never really had any complaints (of course I'm not a percussionist...). As for Sonar, I'd say try freezing your instances of GPO to free up some of your memory and CPU, sure is a lot cheaper than upgrading.

Yeah, that's what I'll do in the meantime. However, being somewhat of a computer geek, I tend to jump on any legitimate excuse I have to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Thud
    Yeah, that's what I'll do in the meantime. However, being somewhat of a computer geek, I tend to jump on any legitimate excuse I have to upgrade.
    Hahaha, I know exactly what you mean.... I used the exact same excuses to upgrade to 2 gigs of ram (even though I can freeze in sonar 4 like you). And right now I'm trying to justify building a second computer for music purposes, even though I don't really need it right now....
    Tim

My philosophy on RAM:
    I run on 1gb RAM and 1.8 ghz pentium 4 processor. I couldn't be happier. If I want a gigantic orchestra, I simply use seperate files and mixdown the audio later. If I want a huge orchestra and to hear all parts at once, I (I don't know what it's called) put all of the flute parts on flute plr1 and so on. It won't sound the best, but it works just fine for the composing stage of a song.
    But, of course, I'm using a totally different setup than the one you described. I'm using Cakewalk Music Creator 2002 (an old, simple version of Sonar) along with the GPO dxi. The sounds aren't all that great during playback of MIDI running through the dxi, but when I 'export audio mixdown', it sounds great!
    Personally, when I'm just composing, I use my trusty external MIDI keyboards (one of which I got a Toys 'r' Us, thank you very much!) for playback. It sounds VERY electonic, but I get the jive of the idea going. I just don't feel like waiting for all those samples to load!
    If you want to hear a very realistic orchestra in its entirety without doing an audio mixdown, then go ahead and upgrade. All of this was just my personal experience and opinion, and I don't mean to make you feel at all like you asked a dumb question. Some people like to hear the final quality of their composition as they compose it, and that's fine, but I just don't really care!

Best reguards,
    Chris

I gotta be able to hear everything.

Right now I can get by with freezing synths that I'm not working on. That's a recent feature addition to Sonar I think-- you can render an instance of GPO to an audio track so that it saves memory and CPU. Then when you want to edit some notes again, you can unfreeze it which reloads the samples.

For example I have one instance of GPO that has all my strings, another with the french horns, one for woodwinds, one for percussion, you get the idea.

I typically have to have at least one instance frozen at any time otherwise my system barfs... occasionally it'll freeze up for a few seconds and stutter during recording, things like that. The problem is that freezing/unfreezing takes time, since has to mix down the audio for all tracks on a particular instance of GPO, and then reload the samples when you unfreeze.

So now I need a faster hard drive too... 10,000rpm Raptor oughta do it...

Thumbs up Re: Just got GPO tonight! Impressions, and questions...

Hey Thud, welcome to the forum! Nice to hear from another fellow percussionist! Although I have not used the marimba at all, I am going to have to check your findings out. All to well do I know the sound of a not properly seated key!
    Hope to hear a demo from you soon!
    Question, do you have a percussion pad? If so, try assigning pads to percussion patches in GPO and play them in real time! Saves on your fingers and keyboard keys!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum