• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Steinway not forte Part II

Share/Bookmark

GPO Steinway not forte Part II

I'm making this a new post since I was afraid this response might not be picked up in the older post.
    It seems the problem I described with notes fading and going out altogether when playing fast only happens with X-Custom Steinway patches (for me). This problem doesn't occur with the wet/dry steinway patches.

Re: GPO Steinway not forte Part II

Sam,

I'll take a shot at this one even though I'm still not sure I have enough information here to deduce exactly what's being described. Try this: When you load the X-Custom piano you first need to select "velocity" as the controller for the assignable slider. The slider itself, which controls dynamic range, will be set upon load (by default) to its maximum value - 100%. This is much too wide for piano. I'd suggest settings between 65 and 80%. As to your comment that the problem of fading notes occurs in fast passages, the only thing that occurs to me is that you may be playing with lower-velocity values (softer touch) during fast passage and that the wide dynamic range setting of 100% makes the lower velocity notes considerably quieter than surrounding higher-velocity notes. As a point of reference, the Dry and Wet Audition counterparts have their dynamic range set to around 65%.

Now, for the catch: There is a bug in the Kontakt player (much discussed a few weeks ago) that applies to the X-Custom instruments. When you load an X-Custom instrument you will be able to successfully set the assignable slider to the chosen controller and adjust the slider to the desired dynamic range, but once you save that in a song file and reload, all bets are off. In most sequencers the instrument will reload with the slider set back to 100% and the slider can no longer be adjusted. Once the slider is touched it freezes at 0% dynamic range. This problem is a known by Native Instruments and we hope it will be fixed soon. Until then your best choice for use in song files is the Dry instrument instead of the X-Custom.

Tom

Re: GPO Steinway not forte Part II

Thanks, Tom. sorry to get back to you this late. I've been using the dry patch but will give your suggestion a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Sam,

I'll take a shot at this one even though I'm still not sure I have enough information here to deduce exactly what's being described. Try this: When you load the X-Custom piano you first need to select "velocity" as the controller for the assignable slider. The slider itself, which controls dynamic range, will be set upon load (by default) to its maximum value - 100%. This is much too wide for piano. I'd suggest settings between 65 and 80%. As to your comment that the problem of fading notes occurs in fast passages, the only thing that occurs to me is that you may be playing with lower-velocity values (softer touch) during fast passage and that the wide dynamic range setting of 100% makes the lower velocity notes considerably quieter than surrounding higher-velocity notes. As a point of reference, the Dry and Wet Audition counterparts have their dynamic range set to around 65%.

Now, for the catch: There is a bug in the Kontakt player (much discussed a few weeks ago) that applies to the X-Custom instruments. When you load an X-Custom instrument you will be able to successfully set the assignable slider to the chosen controller and adjust the slider to the desired dynamic range, but once you save that in a song file and reload, all bets are off. In most sequencers the instrument will reload with the slider set back to 100% and the slider can no longer be adjusted. Once the slider is touched it freezes at 0% dynamic range. This problem is a known by Native Instruments and we hope it will be fixed soon. Until then your best choice for use in song files is the Dry instrument instead of the X-Custom.

Tom

Go Back to forum