• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Global Warming: A Good Thing ?!?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Global Warming: A Good Thing ?!?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/wor...bBP-2fa91M.asp

Some people apparently think so...

Cool Re: Global Warming: A Good Thing ?!?

What is it that makes me so cynical about that report?

Re: Global Warming: A Good Thing ?!?

So now you admit that we are causing global warming????

Anybody read the new Micheal Crichton book ? It is somewhat intreasting I would love to find out how true it is.

ed

Here in TO, which is hardly a northern outpost as Canadian towns go, we had some super-cold days this winter. And our summers have been colder and wetter the least couple of years. But the weird thing is that when I was a kid, you'd drive 20 miles north of Toronto and you'd hit the "snow belt." You were guaranteed 2 feet. Now you're lucky if you get that 200 miles north.

It's not good if you like winter sports, especially cross-country skiing and snowmobiling.

Also, the projections for climate change are really pretty incredible. Since I've lived now 50 years (ain't I lucky?) I've already seen real changes. But down the pike looks downright freaky: 2 to 10 degress CELSIUS warmer on average (that's MORE in Fahrenheit guys) in the next ten years. North pole ice completely gone. Most NA glaciers gone.

MAn, that's a nightmare. And my kid is going to have to live with it. Its not right.

JG

JG

Supporting the Republican party in this country today means that you deny that climate change is happening and that it will ruin our world as we know it. You support the nutjobs that say jobs and profits are more important than our environment. YOU will be responsible for the deaths of millions and worse. When it really starts happening, all you guys will be pretending like you knew all along. After all what's more important, a few abortions are far more important than 1 billion brown people dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Phoenix
    Supporting the Republican party in this country today means that you deny that climate change is happening and that it will ruin our world as we know it. You support the nutjobs that say jobs and profits are more important than our environment. YOU will be responsible for the deaths of millions and worse. When it really starts happening, all you guys will be pretending like you knew all along. After all what's more important, a few abortions are far more important than 1 billion brown people dead.
    Wow. As someone who loves the outdoors and nature more than you can probably imagine, and also as someone who happened to vote for Bush, mostly because of issues that normally don't get discussed in these forums (the whole right/left thing grows tiresome), I am certainly going to rethink everything I thought I knew before I read what you wrote.
    You have opened my eyes. I realize now, that I have been supporting the evil Republicans when I should have been supporting the Democrats. Every time I go out hunting, camping, hiking, etc., there is a Democrat by the side of the road. He is always collecting money to save the environment. A Republican always comes up, steals his money, and starts a war with the funds. I go on hunting, camping, hiking, etc. and pretend that I didn't see what happened. I think that every Republican wakes up every day and says "Gee, let's make policy today that will kill millions, and destroy the environment", while every Democrat wakes up and spends his time thinking about how he will save the environment, rather than get reelected.
    Your ridiculous quote didn't really deserve a response, and I don't come to this forum to make enemies, but I certainly hope you know more about sarcasm and how it was used above, than you do about nature and the environment. Have you ever even been outside?

...........besides, spend a winter in North Dakota and then tell me you think global warming is a bad thing.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Phoenix
    So now you admit that we are causing global warming????

Sorry, I'm not aware of ever having doubted that "we" are causing global warming. You must have me confused with someone else.

I posted the article for information purposes only.

I dunno man. I don't have a problem with the idea that pollutants can cause a greenhouse effect and thus affect the climate.

The problems I have with global warming are:

a) the entire nature of our world, and possibly even our universe, is cyclic. Geological evidence shows that the world's climate has changed many times throughout it's history for a multitude of reasons.

b) Environmental sciences are hugely politicized. I used to write song after song about how crappy we are as people for not appreciating this world. It's just so sad to see a coyote running through the middle of a city, or seeing hawks that are searching in newly developed areas for rodents that are diminishing. I know, personally, that it's a highly emotional topic, with extraordinary consequences. We still have to rely on science to teach us what is going on, and when so many people become scientists BECAUSE they're environmentalists and BECAUSE they feel the way that I feel about the world, it's easy to get misguided. Sometimes it's not easy to be compassionate and rational at the same time.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Quote Originally Posted by His Frogness
    We still have to rely on science to teach us what is going on, and when so many people become scientists BECAUSE they're environmentalists and BECAUSE they feel the way that I feel about the world, it's easy to get misguided. Sometimes it's not easy to be compassionate and rational at the same time.
    Problem is that the science is coming from bone-heads who don't really think about something called "the environment." They're just academics and government-paid scientists doing their jobs. So I think the numbers are pretty objective. And while there's some disagreement about who or what is causing warming, the majority of scientists say, at this point, based on all the data (and there' plenty of it) it's a no-brainer. WE are doing it.

The only question now is what are WE going to do about it?

JG

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast