• Register
  • Help

Topic: techniques for haunted string sound?

Share/Bookmark

techniques for haunted string sound?

greetings...

just wondering how i can do a haunted string crawl sound.
    any libraries? or maybe absynth or just an effect on a violin perhaps?

cheers all!

Re: techniques for haunted string sound?

Graham, a lot of what you're asking can be easily learned by studying scores. For that particular sound I'd look to Pendereki scores or Ligeti or even John Cage. Study up. Learn how those effects are created in "real life" and then you'll know how to find the appropriate libraries for your needs.

Cheers,

Jose

GOS has some effects along these lines. Others probably do as well but I'm familiar with GOS.

Quote Originally Posted by FireRaven
    greetings...

just wondering how i can do a haunted string crawl sound.
    any libraries? or maybe absynth or just an effect on a violin perhaps?

sample1 [31KB]
    sample2 [63KB] <-- this one is a lot better!

cheers all!
    This is col legno. It's achieved by bouncing the wood back of the bow, here randomly, on a pre-selected pitch. You might find this in the Close Encounters score by John Williams.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

If you want to hear the whole catalogue of string techniques then study the music of Ligeti. He generally gives about a million instructions on how to play each note, including very meticulous directions about where the bow should be relative to the bridge and fingerboard. If you hear something you like in a Ligeti score you will be in no doubt at all about how to recreate it. His Chamber Concerto and 'Ramifications' are fantastic pieces in which to study the string writing.

Also 'Black Angels' by George Crumb - admittedly for electric string quartet in parts, but some of the most way-out-there writing you will ever hear.

And Lachenmann is also well worth a look.

Sonic Implants Strings has Col Legno, clusters, behind the bridge and other FX articulations that can emulate that pendericki/ligeti style.

the Pro Sonus Strings included sound effects like these - very creepy crawly - random pizz, slow atonal group slides, clusters etc.,
    Try here: http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?220

this demo has a couple of the sounds: http://demo.bigfishaudio.net/demo/oc3.mp3

yeah, this is mostly col legno. And you can get the stings to create numerous effects by mixing different techniques in this manner. Jerry Goldsmith uses a ff Bartok Pizz by the basses almost as a thematic sound in the original Alien movie
    By mixing muted pizz with bartok pizz, light and fast random spiccato with mutes, col legno and light glissandos on harmonics you get a very awkward and scary sound out the strings indeed. Many of the strings libs provides these types of samples (even advanced orchestra did) but they are usually found "on the last few DVDs" if you know how I mean
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

There are a tonne of useful and interesting effects in Sonic Implants Symphonic Stings. Each section (1st Violins, 2nd Violins, Violas, Cellos and Basses) have quite extensive effects section. Col legno articulation is also provided. I don't think these are included in the 'mini' version though, you'll have to get the 'full' version.

Worth a look and a listen.

Steve

interesting... these prosonus demos are quite impressive.

i think i'll go ahead and order the prosonus orchestral collection.

cheers!

Go Back to forum