• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I can't figure out logic & kontakt.. Please help.

Share/Bookmark

Angry I can't figure out logic & kontakt.. Please help.

OK I've spent enough time trying to figure this out... time to ask the experts and calm down.

For the life of me I can not get multiple-channel in working in kontakt...much less multi-outs..... I'm almost positive I have done everything right, but in the arrange window everytime I choose a different part of my multi-instrument I still only get midi on channel 1. This is getting very frustrating. Does anyone have a template logic file that I could use? It would be very much appreciated.

I am on OSX 10.3.7 And logic pro 7.1 academic.

Thanks very much,
    -Jordan

Re: I can't figure out logic & kontakt.. Please help.

Hi Jordo,

It may be as simple as ensuring that each kontakt 'instrument' is set to receive on the same midi channel as the AudioInst object. In Logic, AudioInst 1 is automatically on channel 1 and AudioInst 2 on channel 2 but this can be changed easily in the environment for example. Or you could select OMNI in the channel select within Kontakt and then Kontakt will receive on all channels.

Umm..I've just re-read your post, and perhaps the following may help instead.

You will need to set up a multi-instrument in the environment, perhaps name it 'Kontakt A', and activate the first 8 channels. Then cable this to the audioinst with Kontakt loaded, setting the channel to ALL. The multi instrument can then be accessed via the arrange window, and the channels of each track are then already set up. I am reading this and realise I'm doing a crappy job of explaining so....

Spectrasonics has a pdf help file on the RMX section of their site that explains this nicely. In lieu of this, the following is a helpful link...

http://www.eijkhout.net/logic/instrument.html

http://logicfaq.omega-art.com/ might help also

I hope that some of the above helps.

Brett

There are two ways to do this.

One is to put Komp/Kontakt in, say, Audio Instrument 1 set to receive All MIDI channels, then cable a multiinstrument to it so you can access the individual channels.

The other way, which I prefer, is to create 8 Audio Instrument 1s (for Kompakt, 16 for Kontakt), each one set to receive on a successive MIDI channel. I'd recommend creating a new Environment layer for this. If you want to use individual outputs, create 7 Aux objects and set the input of each one to a separate Kompakt output pair.

The reason I prefer the second method is that you can name the Audio Instrument 1s individually. Rather than setting up 573 tracks, I prefer to keep the bulk of my pallet in the Environment. Then I highlight a track in the Arrange window and command/click on the object in the Environment to assign it to a track.

To me that's the easiest way of managing a lot of sounds.

Thanks Brett and Nick. I did finally get it working with Nick's method...

I think I was actually selecting Instrument 1 for the other instruments themselves, instead of using say Instrument 2 and just setting the Channel to Instrument 1.

Once again thanks very much, I have a score to finish on Sunday so there might be some late nights coming up...

Thanks for all the posts Nick. They were invaluable for figuring out how to assign MIDI to Multis with Kontakt in Logic. What do you do about the volume control issue? Do you use CC#11 (expression) or do you automate the aux tracks. I guess both probably??

Thanks again for all your helpful posts!

Daniel Gold
    http://www.danielgoldmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    There are two ways to do this.

One is to put Komp/Kontakt in, say, Audio Instrument 1 set to receive All MIDI channels, then cable a multiinstrument to it so you can access the individual channels.

The other way, which I prefer, is to create 8 Audio Instrument 1s (for Kompakt, 16 for Kontakt), each one set to receive on a successive MIDI channel. I'd recommend creating a new Environment layer for this. If you want to use individual outputs, create 7 Aux objects and set the input of each one to a separate Kompakt output pair.

The reason I prefer the second method is that you can name the Audio Instrument 1s individually. Rather than setting up 573 tracks, I prefer to keep the bulk of my pallet in the Environment. Then I highlight a track in the Arrange window and command/click on the object in the Environment to assign it to a track.

To me that's the easiest way of managing a lot of sounds.

There has been little or no evidence that shows that Kontakt in multi-mode is any more processor efficient than having multiple instances of Kontakt for each instrument.
    Personally I feel that by going multi-mode, you lose so much flexibility like being able to EQ each channel, taking advantage of Logic's high res. Volume and Pan automation, having specific aux sends for each instrument, having specific effects for each instruments and on and on.

I could be mistaken in my assumption that the processor is not affected differently by using multis instead of individual instances, but if this is the case, it seems like the difference is pretty small.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    There has been little or no evidence that shows that Kontakt in multi-mode is any more processor efficient than having multiple instances of Kontakt for each instrument.
    Personally I feel that by going multi-mode, you lose so much flexibility like being able to EQ each channel, taking advantage of Logic's high res. Volume and Pan automation, having specific aux sends for each instrument, having specific effects for each instruments and on and on.

I could be mistaken in my assumption that the processor is not affected differently by using multis instead of individual instances, but if this is the case, it seems like the difference is pretty small.
    I must agree here. I use one instance per instrument which also allows more flexible (and faster) freeze operations.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Jordo,

On our GPO-Logic Page GPO users have written a few Tutorials on setting up the Kontakt Player with Logic. For using multiple-channels you may want to refer to Victor's tutorial below:

Setting Up GPO in Logic 7 Tutorial by Chris Caouette

GPO & Multi Instruments in Logic 7 Tutorial by Victor Eijkhout

Setting Up GPO in Logic 7 Tutorial #2 by Chris Caouette

Quick Start Logic Pro - GPO Tutorial by Kevin Rix

Although these tutorials are for the Kontakt Player, much will apply to the full-version of Kontakt. Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Gary,

You are always incredibly resourceful. Truly great tutorials, well illustrated and explained.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Kays & Brian:

I'm new to Kontakt, but it seems handy to have 16 instruments in one instance just to be able to check what is hapening with the polyphony easily.

You guys actually use 40+ instances of Kontakt with one instrument each? I guess that makes automation much easier...

DG

http://www.danielgoldmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by midphase

Go Back to forum