• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I'm really getting angry...

Share/Bookmark

I'm really getting angry...

I know a lot of people have been having problems with crackles and pops and audio drops outs. There have been a lot of great suggestions and I appreciate them all, but I just don't know what to do anymore.

With a P4 3.6 and 1 gig of RAM and Cubase SX2 I can't even add a drum roll or a single horn overlay to 3 strings and 3 trumpets!? I've checked everything. I'm using all dry samples. I played around with hyperthreading. For me, disabling hyperthreading just added MORE popping. I just configured an optional boot for my system with everything disabled except my sound and video card to maximize memory and I still can't get going.

When the incidents occur my CPU isn't even maxing out. The highest I've seen is about 50%! (I'm still using the GRP Kontakt version).

My creativity is just wiped out. I really like the library, but this just shouldn't be happening. I can't stop to mixdown audio every two seconds...I just can't work like that. Maybe if it was just Cubase users or something, we would have something to work with. But the whole thing seems so random. Some people have everything working just fine. But then others, with a whole range of soundcards, sequencers, processors, drivers etc... report the same damn problems. So it's like, where does one even start?! Well maybe I could get more RAM...but wait, there have been people with 2 gigs reporting the damn difficulties

I think one person on the NI channel said running his sequencer on one computer and the sampler on the other solved everything? Is that what it comes to!?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHHHH!!

Re: I'm really getting angry...

Quote Originally Posted by Far_Unlit_Unknown
    I know a lot of people have been having problems with crackles and pops and audio drops outs. There have been a lot of great suggestions and I appreciate them all, but I just don't know what to do anymore.

With a P4 3.6 and 1 gig of RAM and Cubase SX2 I can't even add a drum roll or a single horn overlay to 3 strings and 3 trumpets!? I've checked everything. I'm using all dry samples. I played around with hyperthreading. For me, disabling hyperthreading just added MORE popping. I just configured an optional boot for my system with everything disabled except my sound and video card to maximize memory and I still can't get going.

When the incidents occur my CPU isn't even maxing out. The highest I've seen is about 50%! (I'm still using the GRP Kontakt version).

My creativity is just wiped out. I really like the library, but this just shouldn't be happening. I can't stop to mixdown audio every two seconds...I just can't work like that. Maybe if it was just Cubase users or something, we would have something to work with. But the whole thing seems so random. Some people have everything working just fine. But then others, with a whole range of soundcards, sequencers, processors, drivers etc... report the same damn problems. So it's like, where does one even start?! Well maybe I could get more RAM...but wait, there have been people with 2 gigs reporting the damn difficulties

I think one person on the NI channel said running his sequencer on one computer and the sampler on the other solved everything? Is that what it comes to!?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHHHH!!

Well, check your latency and buffers. Load the stand alone, select the ASIO panel, set latency to 50, buffers to 512. Then check sample rate, make sure it is the best for your sound card. Check all parameters, change, test. This is the way to start.

For drum rolls, I have just learned from Tom Hopkins that you can reduce the polyphony of the drum to 13, which totally solved my problem.

Make sure your sequencer parameters don't conflict with GPO.

When learning to use a new setup, there is always frustration, and I have done my share of cussing! But GPO is worth the effort, and someone here will have an answer for you.

I don't know about the GRP Kontakt version. Perhaps you might see improvement if you used the Kontakt player that comes with GPO. You certainly don't need two computers to make it work. I have 1 Ghz Ram, 1.8 clock and since Tom provided me with the polyphony advice, all seems to be working quite well.

Maybe you have feedback problems? Check levels everywhere.

Richard

What soundcard are you using?

Just curious... Have you turned off the "Lock Memory/No Swap" option? If not, turn it off just to see if smoke comes out of the back of your PC.

Far_Unlit,

Everything should work perfectly on one computer. You have an ideal system, an ideal sequencer and there must something systemic. My guess is that it may be a soundcard setting or Cubase issue. There may be certain apps that may be giving you problems (antivirus, etc.) Hopefully it is not faulty hardware. Contact me by phone or email so we can troubleshoot this. Don't get discouraged, we will do our best to get this solved for you.

Gary Garritan

One other outside chance...

This might not be a CPU, memory, or latency issue at all. I remember a number of us having problems that seemed to stem from clipping (greater than 0db) which was generated from within a single instance of GPO, even if the levels in your software show you far shy of 0db. It was especially noticeable in horn and flute samples, and even more so if you layered multiple notes from one of those instruments.

Try turning the volume control for each individual instrument down considerably, and turn the main mix up to compensate. This is a good way to see if this might be the case. All of my problems with crackling disappeared when I turned down my instrument levels.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

How DO you reduce the polyphony of a drum roll/timp roll to a lower value?
    This would be handy.

Btw, Far Unlit, I had problems yesterday with sounds dropping out momentarily as the mod wheel data fluctuated (seemingly randomly). I'm not sure if this is also what's happening with you or just a crackling during the sample. Anyway, I managed to solve the drop out problem by reducing the quantize and snap values to 32 and re-drawing all the mod data. Dunno if this helps.

Btw, Gary, I thought you also might like to know that that is a workaround to the mod wheel problem.

I hope you get it sorted soon Far Unlit, I know how frustrating it can be when something like this happens.

Regards,
    Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kinvint
    How DO you reduce the polyphony of a drum roll/timp roll to a lower value?

Kin
    In the Kontakt Player view, just below cpu usage, you will see 2 notes, followed by 0/64. Click on the number, hold the buttong down, and drag downwards and watch the number decrease.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    In the Kontakt Player view, just below cpu usage, you will see 2 notes, followed by 0/64. Click on the number, hold the buttong down, and drag downwards and watch the number decrease.

Richard
    Thanks.

Any luck yet, Far Unlit?
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Lightbulb Re: I'm really getting angry...

I'm not usually the sort to "plug" a particular dealer, but one thought on your frustration and a possible course for a solution comes to mind: call the dealer from whom your bought Cubase SX. (I buy a fair number of things from Sweetwater and when I'm totally flummoxed about something -- last month it was "how do I get audio to come in from my Korg Triton Studio?" because I hadn't done that in many months -- I call up their technical support and generally get a quick answer after less than 10 minutes hold time.)

The crackling and popping thing is an horrendous headache and an extreme barrier to the creative juices. You have my sympathies. I got so fed up with running out of voices in a 1 gig system that I got a newer system (going up from 2.66 gHz to 3.2 along the way) which would house 2 gig of RAM. If RAM is the solution, I'd gladly buy another 2 gig (of course, it won't fit into my new box nor be recognized by the current Windows XP).

Good luck. Try to stay away from sharp objects until you get this solved!

KevinKauai

Go Back to forum