• Register
  • Help

Topic: all soung gone from GPO? Bug?

Share/Bookmark

all soung gone from GPO? Bug?

Hi all,

Well, this is a new one....switched on my computer today, loaded up my song from yesterday....pressed play - heard nothing. "that's odd" I thought. Checked it wasn't the soundcard/speakers/headphones and nothing was muted. Everything else plays fine, mp3s, wavs, CDs etc. So, I load up the standalone GPO - and an instrument, hit a key and again, no sound. So, I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this oddity at all? It's very weird because I have changed nothing since last night, when all was fine - but today - *poof* - sounds disappeared into cloud of smoke!

I really don't know why this has happened. Nor do I want to re-install GPO. I shouldn't have to. Any ideas anyone?

Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Re: all soung gone from GPO? Bug?

Check your audio setup to make sure nothing got changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Check your audio setup to make sure nothing got changed.
    Nothing was changed. No settings at all were changed. I switched off last night when all was fine, then tonight - back on, and suddenly there was this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinvint
    Nothing was changed. No settings at all were changed. I switched off last night when all was fine, then tonight - back on, and suddenly there was this problem. Well, the good news is - after the 3rd reboot of my PC, the sound returned in GPO and all is well again. But I worry - will this happen again? Could it be a bug in GPO? Very weird.

Well, you may have some weird problems on your hard drive. Try running a check of your disk, selecting fix errors. If you also select scan free space, this can take 8 - 12 hours, so don't do it without planning a long!!! wait. But it can possibly cure lots of trouble. Also, make sure that your sound card drivers are current, and that your display drivers are current. All these have cause me grief in the past. Also, if you have a program on your computer "HP Memories Disk Creator", this can cause some horrendous problems. There is a fix for it, but for me, the fix did not work, so I trashed it.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, you may have some weird problems on your hard drive. Try running a check of your disk, selecting fix errors. If you also select scan free space, this can take 8 - 12 hours, so don't do it without planning a long!!! wait. But it can possibly cure lots of trouble. Also, make sure that your sound card drivers are current, and that your display drivers are current. All these have cause me grief in the past. Also, if you have a program on your computer "HP Memories Disk Creator", this can cause some horrendous problems. There is a fix for it, but for me, the fix did not work, so I trashed it.

Richard
    Thanks for the advice but the hard drive is new and has no errors on it, in fact, hardly any programs apart from GPO and sequencing/audio software. I thought it had fixed itself yesterday, but tonight, once again....NO SOUNDS FROM GPO! This is starting to become very frustrating and I don't want to lose faith in it. It's a great program but how can I work when I don't even hear any damn sounds!!!!???? Please, if anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. I am supposed to work this weekend on a new musical with my co-writer, who travelled 4 hours....but can't now.

Thanks for the advice but the hard drive is new and has no errors on it, in fact, hardly any programs apart from GPO and sequencing/audio software. I thought it had fixed itself yesterday, but tonight, once again....NO SOUNDS FROM GPO! This is starting to become very frustrating and I don't want to lose faith in it. It's a great program but how can I work when I don't even hear any damn sounds!!!!???? Please, if anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. I am supposed to work this weekend on a new musical with my co-writer, who travelled 4 hours....but can't now.

Well, my ex's solution to all such problems, especially the TV, was to swat it hard. Sometimes it worked, but mostly, I was glad that repairing a TV was easy for me because of my electronics occupation!

Richard

Hi all,

Well, this is a new one....switched on my computer today, loaded up my song from yesterday....pressed play - heard nothing. "that's odd" I thought. Checked it wasn't the soundcard/speakers/headphones and nothing was muted. Everything else plays fine, mp3s, wavs, CDs etc. So, I load up the standalone GPO - and an instrument, hit a key and again, no sound. So, I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this oddity at all? It's very weird because I have changed nothing since last night, when all was fine - but today - *poof* - sounds disappeared into cloud of smoke!

I really don't know why this has happened. Nor do I want to re-install GPO. I shouldn't have to. Any ideas anyone?

Kin
    Kin,

Seems like an audio card setting. Please call my office and leave your number. Ask to get the message to me immediately. Marianne will pass the message to Jeff or I and we will get right back to you. This seems like an easily solvable matter.

Talk to you soon.

Gary Garritan

Hi all

I'm a new member from the UK. I bought GPO a few months ago and find it really pleasing to use-great sounds, great forum.

I have been reading the forum for a while now and it's great to see so many people enjoying GPO and helping each other. I decided to become a member after reading this 'sound gone' problem. I experienced this a few weeks ago and traced it back to what seemed to be a problem caused by Windows Media Player. I'd used WMP for a few minutes after closing dowm GPO and when I restarted GPO I had absolutely no sound. Anyway to get to the point, I reopened WMP and closed it by clicking on the cross in the top right corner. Guess what ? My GPO sound returned. Worth a try perhaps if you used WMP recently. Hopes this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Kin,

Seems like an audio card setting. Please call my office and leave your number. Ask to get the message to me immediately. Marianne will pass the message to Jeff or I and we will get right back to you. This seems like an easily solvable matter.

Talk to you soon.

Gary Garritan
    Thanks Gary for your support. I was gonna call today but decided I would try re-installing the ASIO driver again first. It seems to have solved the problem for now. I really don't know what happened, but it's working again. I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions to find solutions to the problem and thank you all very much. This forum is certainly full of extremely kind and helpful people. It is not often you find support like this these days. What a great community we have!

Best wishes to you all.
    Kind regards,
    Kin

Hi,
    I did not read all posts, so I am sorry if I am repaeting something.
    On Windows machines, the soundcard is normally limited to only one program using it. Some applications can go around this limitation by using the "Play in Background" or liberate Asio driver in background, or something similar....To me it sounds that your soundcard is taken in use by another appplication. Look at your startup folder, if you have the Real Player auto starting up, then GPO wil not play. Sometime it is not that easy to find "who" is actually using the soundcard.

Hope it helps.

iwan

Go Back to forum