• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Flute and Guitar #02" (a quest for realism)

Share/Bookmark

"Flute and Guitar #02" (a quest for realism)

Fellow flute and guitar fans,

Here is my "Flute and Guitar #02".

I tried for realism by using "strummed" guitar chords and string "squeaks". The flute is GPO Solo KS and the guitar sample is from Kontakt.

Regards,

Larry A.

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resour...ndGuitar02.mp3

Re: "Flute and Guitar #02" (a quest for realism)

Delightful piece, and the guitar was very convincing, with the string squeaks etc. Excellent rendition!

Quote Originally Posted by danveach
    Delightful piece, and the guitar was very convincing, with the string squeaks etc. Excellent rendition!
    My thanks to you, Mr. V and I appreciate the fact that you took the time to listen.

Regards,

Larry A.

Quote Originally Posted by danveach
    Not being a flautist, I can't say speak to the realism of it, but I sure enjoyed listening to it!
    But, I am a guitarist, and while Dan is correct in pointing out the convincing moments in your guitar track, I think that there are some un-convincing actions in there as well.
    And this the same complaint I have with so many MIDI-ed guitar interpretations that I've heard...and I guess I'd have to say that is with the (lack of) slurring (or 'hammer-ons/hammer-offs' as some of us git-pickers like to call it ). It is especially apparent in brisk moving runs where every note sounds like it is getting a down-stroke. What we composers need is an affordable library that offers articulations with down and up strokes (with both finger and pick stroke variety). Mr. Garritan solved this problem with the fiddles. I bet one day he'll solve the problem with guitars as well.
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

These are good points, but I have to work with what I have, of course. I know of no way to simulate a guitar up-stroke if the sample itself doesn't offer it. I can easily program an upstroked chord by staggering the notes in reverse order on the staff but it is impossible to simulate an up-stroke on a single note if it's not part of the sample library itself.

Thanks for listening.

Regards,

Larry A.

Great guitar!
    I'm no guitarist, so I didn't hear any repedative down picks or anything like that, but I am a flutist.
    That sounded very convincing, but on a flute, it's extremely difficult (for me, at least. I'm no virtuoso! ) to go quickly from low notes to high notes and especially high to low. I would suggest putting a tiny, tiny, tiny break between a jump of over an octave, because this requires a great lip adjustment. Even if it is slurred (when I play, at least) there's a tiny break when the listener only hears wind and no note between a big jump.
    But this was just a very small detail that the casual listener will most likely overlook.
    One thing that popped out at me, though, is that the notes were perfect in timing. Just a tiny bit of variation would do wonders!

Great job and good luck with future works!

Chris

Talking Re: "Flute and Guitar #02" (a quest for realism)

Anyone from New Joisey (and possibly Texas) can't be all bad.

Thanks for your comments and thank you for listening.

Regards,

Larry A.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Anyone from New Joisey (and possibly Texas) can't be all bad.
    Actually, I live in NJ, but I was raised in TX. I'm only 14, so I guess you could say I'm half and half. I lived in Garland, a suburb of Dallas, for the first thirteen years of my life, and now I'm here in Northwestern NJ (as I call it, being origionally from a city, hicksville where the population density for cows is higher than that of people! )
    So that's that!

Chris

Having a close friend that plays the classical guitar, I have been to a ton of recitals. You got the sound pretty close to real. The one thing I would suggest is to drop the guitar volume a good bit. The flute is actually a much louder instrument than the guitar. It is one of the quitest instruments out there.

Good job.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Thanks for listening, Jess, and thank you for the suggestion.

Regards,

Larry A.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast