• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: All you Mac users, Question?

Share/Bookmark

Question All you Mac users, Question?

Since my 19 year old daughter has decided to become a composer (and hopefully take her dad off the hook ) She is used to a Mac and well, I have no experience with GPO and Overture with Macs unless it comes with fries.
    Actually, several questions - What should we look for in a system configuration (ya see how I have no clue!) Hard drive, ram, sound card and whatever?
    I am sure this will be on going so bare with me here (or there).
    For starters I think she has one of those plastic bubble type Macs. Is that exceptable or do we need to start from scratch?
    Styxx

Re: All you Mac users, Question?

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Since my 19 year old daughter has decided to become a composer (and hopefully take her dad off the hook ) She is used to a Mac and well, I have no experience with GPO and Overture with Macs unless it comes with fries.
    Actually, several questions - What should we look for in a system configuration (ya see how I have no clue!) Hard drive, ram, sound card and whatever?
    For starters I think she has one of those plastic bubble type Macs. Is that exceptable or do we need to start from scratch?
    Firts of all: If your daughter is used to the Mac, do not try to put her on a PC....I really am not a kind of Mac Guru, but my first computer (1986) was a Mac, and despite many efforts I could never completely get along with a PC. So now what kinfd of Mac??? If she is in composing with GPO and Overture, I would suggest a new IMac, if possible one with a big monitor. This new small thing...is kind of to recent for me. There has allways been trouble with the newest machines from Apple. I did buy one of the first dual CPU's, it did never work properly and made a noise like a vacuum cleaner. IMHO I think that the IMac would be a good choice. But of course if you can, buy her a dual 2.5 Gh with 8Gb RAM, this is even better...

Iwan

Hey Styxx,
    I agree with Iwan there - Getting a maxed out top of the line dual G5 is the best, but unless you have $7k handy, I'd get the fastest iMac G5 with maxed Ram (2 gigs I believe is the max possible on those).
    There is also the used route.
    Some people here have had decent performance out of dual G4 1.2 ghz - with 2 gigs of ram or more.

Getting a used G4-based system will be less expensive - but you'll get better performace from a G5 equipped new iMac or Powermac than any older G4.

high performance Macs are expensive - so be prepared to pony up the money from your bank account in Beefalo.
    Overture's (the one that came with GPO) version was kinda buggy for me. I use an iMac G4 1 ghz with 768 MB Ram) But I think that if I downloaded any updates for it I would be fine - I am looking into it. I use Finale. and for whatever reason, Finale's offerings for OS X have been TERRIBLY SLOW. If you are working with large scores fuhgetahboutit! So i may switch to see the other side (Sibelius or Overture - Overture SE first because it's free) They are both very spiffy in OS X in even the most demanding scores.

A top of the line Powerbook would also do fine - as long as you maxed the Ram on it as well. This is not recommeneded since they have a max of 2 GB of ram and have slower hard drives.

Hope this helps at ALL!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Hey Styxx,

Some people here have had decent performance out of dual G4 1.2 ghz - with 2 gigs of ram or more.

Getting a used G4-based system will be less expensive - but you'll get better performace from a G5 equipped new iMac or Powermac than any older G4.
    Jerry
    Just one thing about dual G4's. I do have one (dual 1.25). I do not use it since I now have a new dual G5 2.5 which is a fantastic machine, but I would not sell my G4 to any friend of mine. This early dual machines gave lots of problems and are to noisy to be used by a musician. Just my own experience and the one of many collegues......
    Iwan

I have used Finale since 3.X and I must say the speed thing doesn't bother me, because it will never be as slow as it was back then!

The iMac G5 is your best bet, I agree. If you check http://www.powermax.com/ they sell used and they do trade-ins. I am getting the Power Mac dp 1.8 ghz. It is supposed to be pretty darned fast.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I think the G5 dual 1.8 ghz with 4 gb of ram, and a secondary Western digital 10,000 rpm sata drive, motu firewire 828 will give your daughter more Mac bang for your bucks.

Rick

Thumbs up Re: All you Mac users, Question?

You're talking at least $700 for the Motu firewire 828 alone (which I would love to get my hands on for my own system). A G5 and all the trimings, hmmmm? Dad's going into hock!
    Styxx

That may be a bit too much, but you can (I speak from experience) get the Power mac G5 Dual Processor 1.8 ghz, without a monitor, with 1.25 GB of memory for around $2400. And it is a very good system from what I hear. In a week or so I should know exactly how good it is because eventually mine will come. (I needed a different video card for 3d animation and they had to get it custom from Apple).
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Thumbs up Re: All you Mac users, Question?

Wholly geezzz! I am reading up on the New Mac G5 dual and comparing prices and man, anyone need a kidney?
    Styxx

Apple prices are not for the faint of heart, eh?

Us Mac users can tell you that you will get your money's worth.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum