• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A very short excerpt from my newest piece... comments ?

Share/Bookmark

Cool A very short excerpt from my newest piece... comments ?

Hi,

This is a very very short excerpt from a piece I'm working now on....
    It's an action piece for a game i work on....

Here it is: Action_excerpt <- link no longer available check 2nd page of posts for updated one

Any Comments are welcome.

Re: A very short excerpt from my newest piece... comments ?

any1 to make a comment?

Luk, I liked the mix and atmosphere... I think It may work very well in a 1st person shooting game...

Can u tell which libraries and mixing u used? there are some cool synths there, rythm and far and forward mix

regards,

Iván

Thanks Ivan,

This excerpt is not for a 1st person shooter but for the realtime strategy in 3d... and this particular is taking place when there's a fight between clans.

So What is used:
    EWQLSO GOLD And GPO
    Peter Siedlaczek Advanced Classical Choirs
    Steinberg Plex, Steinberg Xphraze
    Stylus RMX, some guitar patches from Hal2 content and other liitle things.

For me, the rhythmic and timbral content is very good -- but the conflict between the tenor-range bass (a 'cello?) and the bass guitar (and sometimes, the implied root of the chords) makes things muddier than they should be. Somebody raised the subject of parallel fifths -- in the gpo forum, i think -- and maybe they contribute to muddying things, too.

Question Re: A very short excerpt from my newest piece... comments ?

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    For me, the rhythmic and timbral content is very good -- but the conflict between the tenor-range bass (a 'cello?) and the bass guitar (and sometimes, the implied root of the chords) makes things muddier than they should be. Somebody raised the subject of parallel fifths -- in the gpo forum, i think -- and maybe they contribute to muddying things, too.
    So i don't know if I understand right... You think that i hould layer them by fifths rather then in unisono ?

Question Re: A very short excerpt from my newest piece... comments ?

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    Found that in mentioned tread:
    If you are writing for independent voices (2, 3 or however many), parallel fifths and octaves will weaken the independence of those voices, ie, it will momentarily sound as if the voices "merged" .

Do You think that my voices are getting "merged" ??
    hmm but how to avoid it ? not using 5ths or 8ves?

I like it. I'd probably mix in the brass stabs a bit louder to give the piece more power. They are quite understated at the moment, but perhaps you did that intentionally because you don't want to the music to be too intrusive?

It's interesting, sets up a good mood, and isn't too intrusive. Sounds ideal for the type of music that would suit the game type you mentioned.

Steve

Hey Luk,

I think the basic idea and intention of the piece is good.

It sounds like you're a little afraid to actually take it all the way. The brass is way too low. And I agree with the comment that the bass and cellos conflict. The punch is missing which is crucial to an action piece, imo. The rhythm hangs together quite nicely. So don't be affraid to bring it out.

Also, I would do something to beef up the analogue synth sounds. They sound quite weak and thin.

I would suggest maybe listening to Danny Elfman's Mission Impossilbe Score. Of course Danny had a lot of help from talanted orchestrators but listen to the fullness of the orchestration and the space in the mix and the fullness of the analogue synth sounds in the score. It really is remarkable.

I think with todays sample libraries and technology that is well within your reach.

Complete the idea. It's pretty good so far but needs to come up in orchestration and production quality to qualify as pro-sounding in todays market.

Cheers,

Jose

Thumbs up Re: A very short excerpt from my newest piece... comments ?

Thanks for all the precious comments....
    The synts are weak because I wanted them to this light.
    As to the other things will do...
    Yes, i didn't use all the "POWER" because even though it's a action piece it's supposed to be a background... there will be plenty of city sounds around and shooting.
    But i'll try to do my best.
    thanks again.

Go Back to forum