• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Websites

Share/Bookmark

OT: Websites

I assume that many people here have their own website, and since I have out grown Audiostreet (the place I'm using now to host my music) I would like to create my own website. I don't know anything about HTML and I'd like to pay the lowest price per month as possible since I'm about to head to college. Any suggestions.

Re: OT: Websites

Evan,

I use both www.doteasy.com (for my personal site) and www.1and1.com (for mybusiness site). Doteasy is very cheap so long as you don't need tons of bandwidth, while 1and1 offers much more space and traffic, but at a price.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

I forgot to mention that both of the above sites require you to build your own html pages though. They are not an upload and stream media site. But there are many on these boards (including myself) who designed their own sites and I'm sure would be willing to help you.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

I use Dreamhost for my hosting. It's a whopping $10 per month, including one free domain name registration. It's another BYOHTML host, but the admin interface is pretty intuitive. And it supports QuickTime streaming. Plenty of space and bandwidth too (they keep upping the limits, so I've lost track by now).

Now if I could just get around to putting some content up...

Sean

Well I've got a couple of suggestions to use dreamhost from various sources so I'll probably use it, BUT now what should I do about building a site. I really don't want to spend money on it but is the something that would work like powerpoint that I could use?

Ewan, for ease of use I would suggest the Microsoft Frontpage system. Ask your host to be if they support Frontpage Server Extensions (sometimes refered to as supporting Microsoft frontpage). Then get Frontpage (not frontpage express) and connect to the server through it, according to the instructions your host gives you. From there, the rest should be a breeze - after the initial short learning curve of course. Doing a homepage document in Frontpage is like doing a presentation document in MS Word, very easy if you know the MS Office stuff. Doing advanced stuff with MS Frontpage might be a bit of a hazzle though, but for ease of use and straight ahead homepage making, frontpage works good.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

the best "build your site easily" site I've seen is www.bandzoogle.com

Evan,

I am currently attending courses for webdesign. I can make you a site free of charge. I only need a sketch of what you would like it to look like. Also, color schemes are needed. Check out http://www.geocities.com/elusivefae/index for a sample of my work.

Regards,
    Adam Frechette
    Alternate Future Productions, LLC. CEO
    Composition | Web Design
    - www.morningswrath.com
    - www.etherealdarkness.com
    - www.audiostreet.net/adamfrechette

Really?! I would Love for you to! I'll email you some specks. Your Awesome Adam. Thanks a butt load!

Yeah np, I need to build on my portfolio anyways.
    Adam Frechette
    Alternate Future Productions, LLC. CEO
    Composition | Web Design
    - www.morningswrath.com
    - www.etherealdarkness.com
    - www.audiostreet.net/adamfrechette

Go Back to forum