• Register
  • Help

Topic: Erroneous Mod wheel data solution?

Share/Bookmark

Erroneous Mod wheel data solution?

Has anyone found a solution to the "possessed" mod wheel problem yet? (where instruments drop out as the mod wheel drops down to zero now and then)... I have read thread after thread about it but still see no solution anywhere. Every new edit to any mod curves introduces new and irritating instrument/channel drop outs/spikes and it is becoming very frustrating. Please tell me there is a quick solution to this, it's driving me mad!

Regards,
    Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Re: Erroneous Mod wheel data solution?

I've watched this one carefully for a while and not seen a solution. I guess the option that is staring us in the face is to stop using Cubase.

hey.
    i too had this problem initially, but i found the solution.
    simply, kontakt or cubase sx, has a problem when the controller data becomes too dense, so when i redrew the controller data with a rougher quantise setting, 16 or 32 steps, as opposed to unquantized as i usually use.

then the notes stop droping out, i think it becomes too much midi events for kontakt too handle , when the data is very smooth and hi-res.
    this is offcourse, is sometimes not too cool, as rougher settings will sometimes be heard as distinct steps in expression, but it works every here and there for smooth transitions to have a higher resolution too, just not everywhere.

this is mostly a problem when you actually draw or edit the controllers in the sequencer, as most modwheels have only a limitied resolutiom, say 127 steps, the recorded mod movement will playback fine, but when you start editing the data with a higher step resolution, the controller data becomes too dense, and you need to "thin " it out.

i am sure this is a problem with kontakt, as no hardware has ever had a problem with this, atleast not in my studio.

i hope this makes any sense?
    it worked for me anyway!
    good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by psy
    hey.
    i too had this problem initially, but i found the solution.
    simply, kontakt or cubase sx, has a problem when the controller data becomes too dense, so when i redrew the controller data with a rougher quantise setting, 16 or 32 steps, as opposed to unquantized as i usually use.

then the notes stop droping out, i think it becomes too much midi events for kontakt too handle , when the data is very smooth and hi-res.
    this is offcourse, is sometimes not too cool, as rougher settings will sometimes be heard as distinct steps in expression, but it works every here and there for smooth transitions to have a higher resolution too, just not everywhere.

this is mostly a problem when you actually draw or edit the controllers in the sequencer, as most modwheels have only a limitied resolutiom, say 127 steps, the recorded mod movement will playback fine, but when you start editing the data with a higher step resolution, the controller data becomes too dense, and you need to "thin " it out.

i am sure this is a problem with kontakt, as no hardware has ever had a problem with this, atleast not in my studio.

i hope this makes any sense?
    it worked for me anyway!
    good luck.
    Of course!!! That makes perfect sense - I had quantize off too! I will re-draw the data with a quantize of around 32 later tonight and let you know if it worked - I think it will! You are a genius (if it does!)

Thanks for the advice,

Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Any luck?

i at least have had no more strange note drop outs after i started using quantise settings of 16 and 32.

i remember with the old cubase, 3,7 and 5, you couldnt even use alot of controllers, the whole midi timimg just collapsed, and some hardware keyboards, like the Ms2000 cant handle heavy controllers either, they just start stuttering and stopping.

remember, the actual notes are just a few midi events, continuos controller data is much more stressing to handle, and it seems to me kontakt cant handle it too well.

hope it helped!

Go Back to forum