• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recommendations for optical A/D D/A converter

Share/Bookmark

Recommendations for optical A/D D/A converter

Can anyone recommend a 16-channel optical A/D-D/A converter, with 96kHz sampling capability, for use with my new GigaStudio3 system? (If there are no 16 channel converters available, then how about 8-channel units?)

This question arises because Carillon now tells me, 5 days after my complete system was supposed to have been delivered, that the Frontier Designs Tango24 converter I had originally specified (as well as the Montana expansion card for the Dakota card) are back-ordered for at least a month. Apparently Frontier Designs sold-out all their stock at NAMM. So my system is sitting at Carillon's facility in New Jersey with a Dakota card and a Sierra unit installed, but no A/D-D/A converter.

I can't wait a month -- so as long as I'm going to have to select another brand optical A/D-D/A, I might as well go for one with 96kHz (the Frontier Tango24 features only 48kHz).

Thanks for any advice.
    justin thyme

Re: Recommendations for optical A/D D/A converter

Hi

Think you will find that 48kHz is a restriction within ADAT format and even if the box is capable of 96kHz you will only get it on 4 I/O

typically ADAT is
    8 x 24-bit 44.1/48 or
    4 x 24-bit 96 or
    2 x 24-bit 192 if box is 192 capable

Marian at www.marian.de do a converter (the ADCON)
    and Behringer do the ADA8000

Thanks, Pod.

Yes, the the 48kHz functional limitation of ADAT lightpipe would have been correctable by using S/MUX split-channel -- but you're right, although I'd have 96kHz functionality, it would come at the cost of half of my available MIDI channels.

That seems to be the only option achieving 96kHz performance using ADAT, at least until Frontier comes out with 96kHz-compatible versions of its Dakota/Montana/Tango products, which (in combination) already provide so many MIDI I/Os that sacrificing half of them because of channel-splitting won't seem to matter!

Anyway, I have revised my order with Carillon on their recommendation. Now I'm expecting my preconfigured unit to arrive with the RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 card, the RME ADI-8 DS A/D D/A, and the M-Audio Midisport 8x8/s to expand my available MIDI I/O.

Any comments/warnings/advice before it's too late for Carillon to change the order again?

Aloha,
    jt
    justin thyme

simply buy 2 rme adi 8 ds and be happy
    Digital AudionetworX

Go Back to forum