• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Shostakovich's Film Music

Share/Bookmark

Shostakovich's Film Music

BBC radio have an interesting programme later this afternoon .... 4:00pm GMT. (click on the link below to listen live, or to hear a recording afterwards for up to a week after the original broadcast)

Tommy Pearson talks to author John Riley about Shostakovich's long film music career, from his early life as a silent cinema pianist to his epic score for King Lear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/stageandscreen/pip/9bl4c/

Re: Shostakovich's Film Music

Thanks for the link. Now that the live program has passed, what did you think of it? comments?

Either way, I will be checking this out later for sure! I love Shostakovich's music, though not as much since I've been studying it (basing works around your name seems uninspired

I hardly ever hear mention of his film music, is it regarded highly?
    from what i can remember his symphonies and quartets are his important contributions.

Dont' for get his 24 preludes and fugues for piano. In my books, the only other p and f that can stand somewhere near (but obviously not on the same plain as) J.S. Bach's 48.

JG

Much as I love his concert and more intimate chamber music, Shostakovitch's film scores were pretty hack jobs from what I've seen. Nowhere near the standard of Prokofiev. I know he earnt some bunce in his youth as a pianist in the cinema improvising to picture and his scores sort of come across the same way.

A bit off thread but have you read 'Testimony'? It's a great book which is a thoroughly interesting read. Also has a few laugh out loud moments. The story of him being asked to speak at the funeral of the cinema owner who owed him money, or his comment about how glad he was that people in the West were sending him copies of the Toscanini recordings of his symphonies.......'now I'm never at a loss for a birthday gift to give to someone I don't like'.

I agree about the 'Preludes and Fugues'. The final one in D minor is about as profound and moving as any piece of piano music I've ever heard.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rees
    A bit off thread but have you read 'Testimony'?

Steve
    Yeah, a great and desperately sad book. It was disputed as not being authentic for years but recently, since the collapse of the Soviet Union, it has emerged as the real deal. I love his description of Glazunov's drunken teaching practice (vodka on tap under the table!). Its difficult to listen to Shostakovitch's music the same way once you know what he and his fellow countrymen suffered - BUT, there's always that part of me that is cautious of letting the history carry the music. His music can be sometimes sublime and dire all in the same work.

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Thanks for the link. Now that the live program has passed, what did you think of it? comments?

Either way, I will be checking this out later for sure! I love Shostakovich's music, though not as much since I've been studying it (basing works around your name seems uninspired

If you go to the BBC Radio3 Stage and Screen main page http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/stageandscreen/ , you can still re-listen to the program. They are able to keep it available for 7 days from its first broadcast.

Regards,

Joe Tabby

I have a recording (conducted by Maxim Shostakovich) of the music for the film "The Gadfly", which is Shostakovich' 28th (!) film score, written in 1955. A pice of that music was also used as theme for the British series "Reilly, Ace of Spies". Although I haven't seen it "in action", I think it is a good piece of music by itself, direct, powerful and with an innocent charm. I wouldn't call it a "hack job".

Cheers,

Chris
    New music at
    www.calegy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Allmoge
    I have a recording (conducted by Maxim Shostakovich) of the music for the film "The Gadfly", which is Shostakovich' 28th (!) film score, written in 1955. A pice of that music was also used as theme for the British series "Reilly, Ace of Spies". Although I haven't seen it "in action", I think it is a good piece of music by itself, direct, powerful and with an innocent charm. I wouldn't call it a "hack job".

Cheers,

Chris
    Really, aw man I've been looking for this pieces since I first saw "Reilly, Ace of Spies" way back in highschool. I'm now headed for my 2oth reunion!

It's a dream come true after all these years. Right here on this forum. I love this place.

Cheers,

Jose

Go Back to forum