• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Drum track for a sound track - - - -

Share/Bookmark

Question Drum track for a sound track - - - -

I'm working on a drum track for a major sound track (please, no details because it seems I always jinx myself) and I need a little tips on separation. First here is what I am using, Mackie 1640 mixer with firewire to my PC and recording to Cubase. Mics consist of AKG D112 on bass drum, four C 418 on toms and snare, and sure SM87 overhead. Also, I've been experimenting using Sure 57's on the snare's as well. Any suggestions on other mics is most welcome. I have mics on all the drums plus overheads but I am trying to achieve a cleaner sound for each drum on respective track. Question, could I achieve this using gating and if so any suggested thresh hold?
    For now, I will tackle this question and once I have found a satisfactory suggestion I will move on to the next. I can say that the client needs a well recorded "demonstration" mixed with the companies already completed sound track. On the lighter side, this is a hell of a lot of fun!
    Thanks in advance.
    Styxx

Re: Drum track for a sound track - - - -

Styxx,

Congrats on the gig. Best of luck with it.

I would use large diaphragm condensors for the overheads, a matched pair if you can - one about a foot behind the player and even with the hats, the other behind the player and even with the ride.

SM57s work great on snares - put one on top about an inch in and pointed at the center, then put one underneath pointed at the center for that extra "crack".

Make sure the toms are all on seperate multitracks as they usually need to be EQ/reverb'ed differently than the rest of the kit IMO... and the panning with them all on seperate tracks can be fun.

For the kick - depending on the energy of the track, you may want a mic on the beater as well as in the front bass hole for a little more punch.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Thanks Alan, all excellent advice! I have placed the 57's like suggested and working just pleasantly. (BTW - I am the player) As for Large Diaphragm mics, I really don't have much of an arsenal to choose from. The closest I have a a couple of 4045's and one 4040. Never used them for drums or cymbals. As for the kick, I have a D112 mid center of the diameter of the drum inside and one outside near the beater. Seem to be getting quite a punch and pronounced low end with this set up. Each mic is in a separate channel.
    My problem is still acoustic bleed especially on the toms. In other words I can still hear the 8 inch bleeding into the 10 track and down the line. Would love to have them isolated. Any suggestions?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    My problem is still acoustic bleed especially on the toms. In other words I can still hear the 8 inch bleeding into the 10 track and down the line. Would love to have them isolated. Any suggestions?
    Use my multiple mic drum library (recorded exactly as described above) and render the tom tracks alone

Short of that, you can take the bottoms of the toms off and put the mics inside the toms to kill the bleed - changes the sound but might be for the better depending on your track.

For the kick, if the low-end is too much, you can always compress or pull the mic inside closer to the air-hole. Experimenting here is the key.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Thumbs up Re: Drum track for a sound track - - - -

Use my multiple mic drum library (recorded exactly as described above) and render the tom tracks alone
    Hmmmm,, I'll bet that would work perfect in this music!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    Styxx,

Congrats on the gig. Best of luck with it.

I would use large diaphragm condensors for the overheads, a matched pair if you can - one about a foot behind the player and even with the hats, the other behind the player and even with the ride.

SM57s work great on snares - put one on top about an inch in and pointed at the center, then put one underneath pointed at the center for that extra "crack".

Make sure the toms are all on seperate multitracks as they usually need to be EQ/reverb'ed differently than the rest of the kit IMO... and the panning with them all on seperate tracks can be fun.

For the kick - depending on the energy of the track, you may want a mic on the beater as well as in the front bass hole for a little more punch.
    Simplify, simplify...3 mics. Put yourself and your nicely-tuned kit in a great-sounding medium-large room. One dynamic mic of your choice on the kick, close-up or even as far back as a couple feet. Two small diaphragm condensers as overheads, split pair over your head, one in back over floor tom, other in front on snare side of kit. Period - the Glynn Johns/Andy Johns approach. Nice big live sound, ala Zeppelin, Who, Stones, etc. Bleed is your friend -- work with it. It will give your tracks some life. If you need more snare crack, then sure, mic it up with an SM57 (if you DO use two, with one on bottom pointing up as suggested by Alan, don't forget to flip the phase of that one, or you'll get weird cancellations).

Happy tracking!

Jim

Nice big live sound, ala Zeppelin, Who, Stones, etc.
    Most recorded at Power Station Yes? No? Maybe Not?
    Hopefully I'll be at it again tonight. Less is more usually and will give it more space tonight.
    Styxx

Phish Styxx? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Phish Styxx? LOL
    Arr we be a troutin thar with Phish Styxx!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Most recorded at Power Station Yes? No? Maybe Not?
    Hopefully I'll be at it again tonight. Less is more usually and will give it more space tonight.
    In NYC? Nah! Besides, you don't need all that for this old-school approach. A good-sounding room with a high ceiling would be fine (school auditorium, church sanctuary, etc.). Lots of choices.

Jim

Go Back to forum