sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Exile on Main St. is mine !!

Re: Favorite Stones Record ?

None.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

I am tempted to say "sgt Pepper" but I guess I am pretty fond of "exile on main street"

ed

Quote Originally Posted by ed buller
    I am tempted to say "sgt Pepper" but I guess I am pretty fond of "exile on main street"

ed

Yes, Sgt Pepper was a good one. Hehe!

Probably - Satisfaction (early example of rap, I guess)

And - Brown Sugar (always used to get them up on the dance floor)

My favourite song is probally "honkey tonk women". I love the way they leave out the bass until the chorus. Drums are great on that track too. They where played by Jimmy Miller. He is so different to Mr Watts.

ed

Talking Re: Favorite Stones Record ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    I've heard that Charlie Watts has perfect time (ala Ringo).

But here's a test: Listen to the choruses on "Get Off My Cloud." Either the whole rest of the band is rushing, or ol' Charlie is dragging. Which is it? Enquiring minds want to know!

Also, does Charlie not play his hi-hat when he hits his snare on purpose, or is it that he Can't play them at the same time? I've never seen another drummer do that.

Ern
    Holy Moly Ernie Who knows? There you go with all those questions again. Where do you get all this stuff from? I never noticed any of this stuff - either when they were released or now. Bum notes all over the place. Arggh!

Not hitting the hi-hat on the snare is part of his thing. I saw Charlie play in a big band rehearsal in fulham town hall twenty years ago and he was amazing. I would'nt believe he could play like that listening to stones records. I think he dumbs his playing down for them. He is pretty sick at the moment. Hope he gets better.

ed

Talking Re: Favorite Stones Record ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    What's that early live Stones record --- "Got It Live If You Want It" or something like that!? Wow, was that terrible! Out of tune, wrong notes, you name it. How could they have put that piece of crap out? Nearly drove me completely into the Beatles camp!

Ern

I saw them just the once in around 1980. They were terrible. The support band was the J Geils Band and they were terrible too. For me, the Stones lost it after 1970. Keith Richard is a class act though - very funny guy.

Sir Mick Jagger - haha - that's funny too.

I'm a Beatles guy- never even owned a Stones album, ever. But Heartbreaker, Gimme Shelter, Satisfaction- those were all good singles. And Angie is a terrific song even if I can't really tolerate Mick singing it

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    I'm a Beatles guy- never even owned a Stones album, ever. But Heartbreaker, Gimme Shelter, Satisfaction- those were all good singles. And Angie is a terrific song even if I can't really tolerate Mick singing it
    The thing about Angie to me - you can get very, very, very drunk - seriously. And then you meet a bird called Angela - and then you just start singing Angie for some reason. And unbelievably - it sounds absolutely right! Why?
    Because you automatically slur everything. You've GOT to be drunk, otherwise it sounds awful. Annn -ggggg- ieeee - ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Crunch! Slump!

I like We Love You - because Nicky Hopkins played some very good piano for the Stones.

Ronnie Wood is a really good artist - I had no idea until recently. Art galleries and all that.

Go Back to forum